front tow hook.

Bigslim

TDI
03 Jetta wagon. Auto
hey errybody. Its snowboarding season, and i plan to make a few trips to PA and WV in my MK4 TDI J.Wagon. i checked the spare tire compartment and the front tow hook/Eye bolt was missing. does anyone know the part number or if the hooks are interchangable? VW wants like $34 for it. EBAY has them for $17 (OEM part). any info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Junkyard would be the least $.

I grabbed one a year or so ago, they didn't have a computer code so it was free. It helps if you're a semi regular.:)

Bigslim

TDI
03 Jetta wagon. Auto
Junkyard would be the least $.

I grabbed one a year or so ago, they didn't have a computer code so it was free. It helps if you're a semi regular.:)

Word! I don't think they're many auto junk yards around here, but I'll definitley check that. Do you think a mk4 jetta an mk4 jetta wagon will use the same tow hook? Or wagon tow hooks are specific to wagons. Thanks for the quick reply.

j_martell

Veteran Member
TDI
Reflex Silver 2006 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
i bet Jetta/Jetta Wagon/Golf all share the same part. if i think of it next time im in the garage, ill grab mine from my wagon and post the P/N

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
For that matter my wife's passat has the same one and I'm pretty sure the one in my MK3 is the same.:)

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
If you are in DC as in District of Columbia, you are 45 min from some great pick and pulls, with cheap prices and decent VW selection. I bet a tow hook would be $5 or so. Make a day of it and get collect some goof Mk IV stuff- it lowers the prices per item.

What would you use the tow hook for? It's not so great for being towed!

Bigslim

TDI
03 Jetta wagon. Auto
If you are in DC as in District of Columbia, you are 45 min from some great pick and pulls, with cheap prices and decent VW selection. I bet a tow hook would be $5 or so. Make a day of it and get collect some goof Mk IV stuff- it lowers the prices per item.

What would you use the tow hook for? It's not so great for being towed!

I would like to have it, just i case i get stuck in a snow bank or maybe to try and help someone who is stuck, get unstuck haha. I'll use google and check for local auto junk yards. Thanks

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
front tow hook in the spare tole holder, which is in the trunk... now im confused.

these cars have tow hooks?
No,they have a front TOW EYE. It is in with the jack,Jack handle,lug bolt tool and other stuff in the spare. Look on the front bumper. See the round circle cap? Pop it off and you'll see a threaded hole that the tow eye threads into. Left handed threads. So, righty righty,lefty loosey does not apply.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would like to have it, just i case i get stuck in a snow bank or maybe to try and help someone who is stuck, get unstuck haha. I'll use google and check for local auto junk yards. Thanks
Gotcha. If you're in the D of C, I'd hit the salvage yard just north of Stafford, just below Quantico, along Rt. 1. If you don't want to go South, there's a "group" of yards, including Redmond's in Pasadena, Erdman's, Marty's, and Stokes. Not spectacular, but decent and generally cheap. If you don't mind heading up 270 and hitting Western MD, there are some places with larger selection, but I haven't been to most of those in years.

Bigslim

TDI
03 Jetta wagon. Auto
Hey so I went to pick a part near the Quantico Marine museum off route1. I got the tow hook off the 4th jetta I found. And I went to pay he said "all good" and waved me on. AYYYY. Beats the hell out of VW wanting $34 for it. Thanks for the info fraands!

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey so I went to pick a part near the Quantico Marine museum off route1. I got the tow hook off the 4th jetta I found. And I went to pay he said "all good" and waved me on. AYYYY. Beats the hell out of VW wanting $34 for it. Thanks for the info fraands!
I've had the same experience. When I visit, as long as I'm there, I gather as many little bits and items as I can find- often other people will find them helpful. Glad it worked out.