Stealth's New Mk6

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Thanks!

Yes, I do plan to install the radio suite and subwoofer in the GTI. In fact, my install plan will allow me to keep the spare tire. I think it will look even cleaner than what I have in the Jetta.

As for MPGs, it's a little tough to speculate what I'll get. I'm still on my first tank and have been breaking in the car according to the manual, particularly no brisk acceleration or 4000+ RPM driving for the first 1000 miles. Once I'm past 1000, I may see a tank or two with lower MPGs while I have a little fun. Then I'll settle back into a commuter car lifestyle.

I don't know how much I'll share about the GTI on this site. But I have a new website at http://StealthGTI.com/ if you're interested in checking out a few things.

Scott

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Peter,

I'll be interested to see if you find the GTI as versatile as you've made your Jetta, and what MPGs you get.
The floor space [edit] in the trunk [/edit] is obviously smaller in the GTI than in the Jetta. But it hasn't killed me. It carried today's Thanksgiving dinner just fine. As for MPGs, I'm averaging about 32 with commuter traffic. I'd be pretty happy to see 35+ on a pure highway trip. We'll see.

Feel free to check out my my initial impressions during the first 1000 miles:

Part 1

Part 2

Scott

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

I finally returned to Chester, VA to retrieve my Mk6, which had been sitting at the dealership since buying my GTI about six weeks ago. The battery had lost a lot of charge and needed a jump. The car still wouldn't start. I think the fuel system had lost its prime. I got it started after getting some charge on the battery and cranking the engine until the fuel rail was reprimed. This would have gone better if I had thought to bring my laptop and used VCDS to prime the system. Oh, well. Here's a photo of the car following me home with my wife driving.

I have until January 26th to get my aftermarket stuff stripped-out of it.

Today my wife told me that she hopes a fix happens. She wants to keep her TDI. Time will tell if we keep one for the long haul.

Scott

TDICube

Veteran Member
Stealth, are you buying-back bothTDI's?
I see you are replacing one Jetta TDI.
The end of the year sales were too good for us also. We purchased a 2017Jetta SE and keeping our 2006 Jetta TDI

For the amount of money you are getting back and the end of the year sales, you would be making money on the TDI buy-back with another Jetta.

Just curious, why did you go GTI instead of another model that would have more room for your cycling adventures?
TDICube

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

Stealth, are you buying-back both TDI's? I see you are replacing one Jetta TDI.
Buyback of one is certain at the moment. My appointment is on January 26th. My wife does not want to give hers up and is hoping for a fix. I'm not optimistic about a fix. She'll keep driving it and reevaluate later. Come May of 2018, she might find the idea of getting into a new Jetta SE free and clear to be pretty appealing.

Just curious, why did you go GTI instead of another model that would have more room for your cycling adventures?
There have been a few motivators:

1) Hatchback vs. sedan - It's been a LONG time since I last owned a hatchback. I found the utility of being able to load large cargo calling to me. The bike slides in just fine; it just needs to be cocked a little differently. I do lack the floorspace to load the plastic tub which transports my cycling gear when the bike is loaded, though. I'll switch to a soft bag to resolve that. It's really not a big deal. In fact, once I have the trailer hitch mounted, I'll have the same ability to carry two bikes behind the car as I did with the Jetta.

2) Power/tunability - The GTI's engine is the only one in VW's lineup which has the higher power and torque output of Audi's 2.0T. The GTI has VW's most capable engine, even after a tune. I decided that I wanted to experience that.

3) Chassis and handling - It isn't a letdown at all. A spent a lot of time and money on my TDI's over the years to make them more than they were. The GTI is fantastic right out of the box!

4) Surprising refinement - I think VW intentionally builds the GTI to a higher quality than the other VWs just to ensure that people keep coming back. The interior quality, insulation, attention to detail, and ride are noticeably better than on my Jetta TDI w/Premium. It really is fantastic.

5) FUN - This plays back to point #2 a bit. I've always wanted more from my TDIs... more than I knew they'd give me without being total money pits. APR Stage 2 will give me 336 hp and 404 lb-ft, 309/391 at the wheels. I don't know if I'll ever get disgusted with refueling enough to ever get tired of that. ;) If I blow up a turbo, then I may upgrade to the Golf R turbo, aka "IS38," and pull 386 hp. I honestly think Stage 2 will be enough for me, though. :) Some people say Stage 2 is "too punchy" since torque comes on so low. But I think TDI fans agree that low-end torque is great!

Scott

TDICube

Veteran Member
I did not think about the hatchback being easier to transport a bike. I have seen a Honda Fit with a fork mount type carrier (kinda like a pickup bed bike carrier) in the hatchback that was perfect for hauling a bicycle.
I wonder if the GTI has enough head room for that type of carrier?
That would be cool.
Understand, along with finish, the GTI's power and handling was a major factor. Is the GTI built in Germany?
David

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
The GTI is not tall enough inside to transport a bicycle vertically. Not MY bikes, especially, because they are tall. The GTI is made in Mexico at a state-of-the-art facility. My Mk3 was made in Mexico, too, and was nearly flawless for 450,000 miles. I have no concerns about where it was made.

TDICube

Veteran Member
I was just curious if the GTI was manufactured in Germany. When we purchased our made in Mexico 2006 Jetta TDI, I noticed some other VWs were made in Germany.
We are liking our Mexico manufactured 2017 Jetta SE.
The car's engine is way quieter then the diesel. It has a tad bit of road noise that puts me asleep in the passenger seat.:)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Only VW cars assembled for the NA market in Germany are the CC and the Golf R. Everything else is Brazil, Mexico, or the US. Tiguan and Touareg are also assembled in Germany.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
My Reflex Silver Jetta is gone, dropped off Thursday. I was going to get a photo, but just opted to move on. My wife's 2014 Moonrock Silver is still here. We'll drive it for at least another year before truly deciding between the (unlikely) fix or another buyback. I may put my Malone-tuned ECU in her car, but I'll probably just store it until we make some decisions.

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
Stealth, I was hanging with you. I had the 98 Mk3 TDI, Then moved to the 2014 Mk 6 TDI at the same time you did. I turned mine in for buyback 2 weeks ago and hopped into my Mk3. It took about $1000 dollars to get it roadworthy, but I'm back shooting for the 500k club.

Enjoy the GTI.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! I still have the Mk3. Perhaps I'll be able to dump some money into it this summer. For now, I need a car that I can drive 100-mile a day without wondering what will break next. My Mk3 will ride again someday. :)

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

Nice looking GTI, Scott... I'll be interested to see if you find the GTI as versatile as you've made your Jetta, and what MPGs you get.
Just wanted to follow-up with how the GTI is going. I took it on its first long road trip of ~1400 miles. It did 35 mpg along my speedy route in the rain, 33 mpg along the twisties in the Tail of the Dragon area, and 39.6 mpg on the return trip without speeding, AC, or rain (all hand-calculated). I think I could exceed 40 mpg on a flatter route such as the Eastern Shore. But any traffic jams or other slowdowns may make it a real challenge. I may try a drive in a few weeks to see what I can do. :)

Here are some photos from the trip, as well as some showing that I have installed my usual suite of electronics:

More photos and details at http://StealthGTI.com/.

Scott

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I just spent some time looking at the Stealth GTI. Looks great! That MK7 looks fantastic in silver. I am enjoying my new 2012 GTI, but do love the look of the 2017's. The sport package looks like the sweet spot for options as you nicely detailed. I'm impressed by the extra mileage; and while putting down more power to boot.

I'm enjoying my new car, but I think I already know what the next one will be!

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
I've always loved your threads about your cars. Your GTI looks "wow"! lol. Also, thanks for the link. I guess I could've done some more digging and found it, so thank you for helping out!

Let me just say you have an eye for what looks good and your write-ups and posts have been tremendously helpful. Are you really in Newport News?

Just a couple questions, if I may. Did you have the steelies for the trailer powder coated or is that a spray paint? Also, I have to ask about the yellow caution sign and the vw emblem for the wheels. How did you make them or where did you get them?

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Ben,

Thanks for the great feedback. Yes, I'm really in Newport News. I've lived here for 14 years and finally transferred my residency to VA last fall after retiring from the Coast Guard. The new tax burden sucks. HAHA!

The steelies are new with a factory finish. The VW emblems are as delivered on Tiguan centercaps. I ordered the centercaps on eBay. I bought the white VW stickers on eBay. Of course, VW doesn't make trailers or plastic fenders. So the VW badging is a little over the top. ;)

I had the yellow sign made at FastSigns. Funny thing is I spent too much time getting the details right. I found the legal requirements for sign dimensions on a DOT website, then scaled them to fit where I wanted my sign. So it's nearly a scaled "OVERSIZE LOAD" sign for an undersize trailer. ;)

Scott

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
Fantastic stuff. I appreciate you taking the time to answer questions. i've got so many... lol. i try to balance how many questions i ask, but when i read all these threads and see all the great stuff people are doing, i get excited about my tdi's and lose the ability to tone down the questions. lol

Congratulations on your retirement!