www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Closed Thread

Old December 8th, 2008, 08:46   #1
twigless
Veteran Member

I have access to the Dealer Meeting Presentation from mid-November. I just read through all 256 pages of the slideshow, and there are a few very interesting and exciting things coming in the next few years. This meeting really revolved around the plan to get to 500k units by 2012, rather than talking about the 800k/2018 goal. There are plenty of neat things to summarize, but only one that needs mentioning on this site:
December 2009 will be the release of the Rabbit GT TDI. Yep, you read that correctly: GT TDI. Sounds like a sport version, eh?
Right at the beginning of October/end of September will be the A6 GTI and Rabbit GT launch, and supposedly a Sportwagen facelift in September (probably just head/taillights to match the A6).
The Rabbit will have nav available as an option (RNS-510). Lots of nice upgrades to the Rabbit, should make it quite a bit more quiet.
To that measure, VW also announces that they are not attempting to make the Rabbit an "entry level" vehicle, but that another vehicle will come in 2010 that will fill the "entry" position... YEAHHHHH!!!
Other news: Touareg V6 TDI to launch in May, planning 20% mix of TDI v 80% gas. 25% better economy (est 17/25, best in class). 407 ft-lbs.
By the way, 90 of the Touareg TDIs will be moving around starting THIS month (December)... marketing vehicles. In May, each dealer will get one TDI T-rag, and in June will begin production of MY10 vehicles (probably will arrive in late Aug/early Sept, as usual).
Also: Special Editions: Touareg Lux package will have the R50 body kit, should come in May 2009, available also in TDI trim.
Jetta TDI Cup edition to arrive in Dec '09, outfitted with the Thunderbunny body kit and plenty of other sport goodies (18", sport susp, GLI wheel, etc, but no power increase... so far).

THAT'S THE NEWS!!!
-Mike
1999 Cabrio GLS 5m (84k)
2002 Jetta GLS TDI auto (sold@76k)
1998 Jetta Wolfsburg auto (sold@114k)
1986 Golf GL 1.8 gas 5m (sold@138k)
1988 Scirocco 1.8 5m (sold@109k)
1990 Corrado G60 5m (parted@142k)
(and Honda, Fords, GM, BMW, Volvo, Jeep)
my brother: http://www.JeffLudes.com
Old December 9th, 2008, 07:03   #2
twigless
Veteran Member

Really?!? No excited responses of "FINALLY!!! A RABBIT TDI!"?
Or perhaps everyone is waiting on vaporware to become metal and rubber in your driveway...
1999 Cabrio GLS 5m (84k)
Old December 9th, 2008, 07:07   #3
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I am so excited I am speechless! Great news, thanks again for sharing!!!!
Old December 9th, 2008, 07:14   #4
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

I'll believe it when it rolls off the hauler and I can touch it. Still rather have an Impreza Oiler, I want AWD, I have led a life of understeer and I'm sick of it.
Old December 9th, 2008, 07:44   #5
BrianCT
Veteran Member

TDI(s): TDI

Many of these plans were made by VW prior to the US government spending billions to bail out the Big3. I doubt that VW will be so optimistic in the US market sales when they see the price point slashing of GM/Ford/Chrysler. Okay, they release the GT TDI in the US in a year or so ...what ever. It would have been a real big thing last year with the price of fuel going through the roof. A penny short for a dollar long.

After the Big3 get their lots filled with 50% off everything, cashback/rebates/zero finance/8 months free... it'll just be a small party of diehard Golf TDI'ers looking for the A6 GT-TDI... now won't it? Oh I forgot to mention, The Big3 will offer free gas for lifetime of the car too....

Think I'm joking?

sent from an iThong™
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:18   #6
lovingHDTV

Fuel Economy: 49.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCT
Many of these plans were made by VW prior to the US government spending billions to bail out the Big3. I doubt that VW will be so optimistic in the US market sales when they see the price point slashing of GM/Ford/Chrysler. Okay, they release the GT TDI in the US in a year or so ...what ever. It would have been a real big thing last year with the price of fuel going through the roof. A penny short for a dollar long.

After the Big3 get their lots filled with 50% off everything, cashback/rebates/zero finance/8 months free... it'll just be a small party of diehard Golf TDI'ers looking for the A6 GT-TDI... now won't it? Oh I forgot to mention, The Big3 will offer free gas for lifetime of the car too....

Think I'm joking?
Fuel prices will not stay this low in the future, this is an undershoot that followed the overshoot earlier this year.

more reading:
http://www.kiplinger.com/businessres...se_081208.html
Old December 9th, 2008, 09:09   #7
BrianCT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingHDTV
Fuel prices will not stay this low in the future, this is an undershoot that followed the overshoot earlier this year.

more reading:
http://www.kiplinger.com/businessres...se_081208.html
Don't matter. Diesel will be way more then gasoline no matter what price point these fuels reach in the future. Psychologically standing at the pumps seeing diesel $1.00 to $2.00 more per gallon will cause the average consumer to run away for even thinking "diesel."

Another point, you can't compete if the competition does not have rules. When the US government dumps it's billions into the pockets of the BIG3 you'll see rediculous pricing on their productions promoting sales. So a dude looking at a mid size or compact would make a choice over thousands of dollars between similar sized vehicles, one domestic and the other VW. Drop $21,000 on a GT-TDI or drop $13,999 on a Focus with huge perks?

Math to me means domestic.

Diesel will be trampled in pricing compared to gasoline.

Tough and tight economy means small welcoming party for the GT-TDI.

Myself, I'd love a GT-TDI. But waiting another year to a year and a half for a what if...

is just that.

What if!

BrianCT
Old December 9th, 2008, 09:49   #8
n1das
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Exclamation

Any news on a Tiggy (Tiguan) TDI?
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home
Old December 9th, 2008, 10:02   #9
mavapa
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 golf

I think in the future you will see VW reducing its goals for sales in the US. They are consciously moving upmarket because they can't seem to figure out the US auto market.
Old December 9th, 2008, 11:42   #10
Kyuss
Veteran Member

I think it's a marvelous idea! SWEEEET! Can't wait to see it if it does get here. I tend to think it will, however the economic concerns expressed above certainly are valid. American market will be tough to stand up against price wise. I think the GT TDI Rabbit will have a BIG welcoming party, BrianCT...unfortunatly most won't be forking out any cash!!
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:59   #11
BrianCT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuss
I think the GT TDI Rabbit will have a BIG welcoming party, BrianCT...unfortunatly most won't be forking out any cash!!
I'd buy this at $23,000 in a 6-speed manual in GTI form ...if it was a TDI.

Here's some photos of the new MKVI.

Old December 9th, 2008, 13:42   #12
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

That is a nice car, but why the hell can't they put AWD on it if the buyer wants it? Wheelspin is fun, but putting the power down is more fun.
Old December 9th, 2008, 14:54   #13
twigless
Veteran Member

Sorry, no mention of Tiguan TDI. or Passat, for that matter. Back in May this year I was told to expect the Tiguan and Passat in TDI sometime early next year, but I'm sure that's not happening... I'm keeping my fingers crossed for early 2010, when my wife's BMW lease is up! There will be a Tiguan TDI in my driveway.
1999 Cabrio GLS 5m (84k)
Old December 10th, 2008, 09:52   #14
tdisky
Veteran Member

twigless, thanks for the post.

Yeah, the Rabbit GT TDI (or is it the other way around?) sounds great, if the engine is tuned higher than the stock 140/236. If it is, I'm gittin' one. If not, I'll still consider a new Jetta. But I *love* my 2004!
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:15   #15
MunchausenDrive
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None... yet

This is exactly what I was hoping for!!!! better start putting away for the down.
Closed Thread