Key fob range is garbage

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
My car hasn't allowed me to lock or unlock it if I am standing much more than 10 feet away. If my fob is in my pocket and I press the button, it won't work even if I am standing right outside the car.

I changed the batteries recently and nothing changed. Has anyone else had this issue and fixed it? Are there J519 module problems?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Why press the button when you can just bump the handle when you either walk away (to lock) or grab the handle to unlock?

Or you just like keeping your hands I your pocket? ;)

Try replacing the battery with a lithium version, the kessy eat batteries. Also don't leave the key in the car, as it drains the battery even more.

ilyago

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta S DSG
Took my 2015 Jetta (sedan) in for this very problem last week. The remote range was terrible, especially at certain angles. Before I took it in, I changed the battery in the remote to see if this would fix it - no improvement. From what I read online, I was guessing that the antenna is disconnected or missing. The dealer has diagnosed that one of the remotes is defective and has ordered a new key/remote.
I felt that the range was poor for both remotes, so I still think it is something on the car and not the individual keys, but I could always use an extra key. Let them keep looking.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
yep - remote windows down feature is virtually useless w/ this range. different sized battery hasn't helped on mine

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Yep, seems like you have to be within about 75 feet and direct line of sight to do the remote windows up/down.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think that's what my Mk5 was, seeing it needs a constant signal it make sense it won't have the rang of unlocking, sounds like the OP issue is more sever than 75ft.

ilyago

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta S DSG
It was under warranty.
The new remote is no better. I still suspect the issue is with the remote antennae in the car.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The reason for the limited range might be that someone can read the RFID chip on the fob if they walk within about 10 feet of you and they have an RFID reader. Makes stealing your car a no brainer. KESSY IMVHO is some ridiculous technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR8RrmEizVg

ilyago

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta S DSG
I don't have the KESSY. I have a regular folding key plus the remote. The remote has a very short range when I press any buttons. It does not transmit anything unless I am pressing a button, so no security issues caused by extra transmissions when in proximity of the car.

All my other cars (even the 2015 Passat I turned in, which used the same kind of a remote) have had a much longer range for the remote (like 40-50 feet, sometimes more) than the Jetta.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm not sure if its kessy and non kessy related, but there is a fob antenna in the rear bumper area of the kessy cars (orange colored), it might be unplugged, I think it was an issue for a couple of people here.