Launch Control- Initial trials

WoodieGuthrie

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Octavia Tdi 90bhp
My Octavia ALH manual has been re-mapped by myself. I saw a 1.2 second reduction in 1/4 mile times, and about 1 sec drop in 0-60mph.

However, my 60ft times didnt really improve.

I reckon it was a combination of the car being mapped for 200ft/lb from 1500rpm, and really crap tyres on the front.

As I read more into the mapping software, it became apparent that you could create a launch control map- essentially limiting the level of fuelling available at a standstill, then phasing in more as the car got underway.

I had a try at doing it tonight, and it makes a helluva difference: launches are consistent with minimal wheelspin.

Feels a bit odd to go foot flat to the floor with the clutch down, and only have it rev to 1600ish

the real trial will be in the rain!

Stock map (I.E. no Launch Control)

Modified map

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Yes, my TDTuning files from vwmikel have that, though mine is set to 4000 limit. Any lower and my big ass turbo wont stay spooled with the slicks.

WoodieGuthrie

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Octavia Tdi 90bhp
That's pretty awesome man.
Subscribed
Cheers, yeah I think it may need a bit more work to get it spot on but its a big improvement!

Yes, my TDTuning files from vwmikel have that, though mine is set to 4000 limit. Any lower and my big ass turbo wont stay spooled with the slicks.
I only have a stock turbo fitted, so can get away with 1800rpm or so. At that point it'll pull cleanly for a bit then some wheelslip.

I may consider tweaking it so it holds back for a bit longer.

WoodieGuthrie

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Octavia Tdi 90bhp
Is this the same as the 'popcorn limiter'?

I have no idea what that is?

this holds the engine at fixed revs until clutch is taken up and car starts moving.

once moving it progressively increases fuelling in line with roadspeed and rpm

essentially supplying just enough power for a little wheelslip.

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
I have "launch control" on my tune (just holds 2100rpm until the car starts moving) and I view it just as a fun factor. Does it make my autocross starts faster? Idunno, but it sure is fun to see a dieselcar at the start line going bruuuuuuuu-bum-bum-bum-bum-bum! I've found 2100rpm to be the sweet spot for my car's power level in dry weather. There is no torque limiting on mine as speed increases so it wouldn't work in the rain, my tires would just spin.

I even had Mark make sure the revs bounced! :D:D:p

I think the "popcorn" limiter is referring to that "bum-bum-bum" noise that I've tried mimicking by typing out.

Last edited:

WoodieGuthrie

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Octavia Tdi 90bhp
I have "launch control" on my tune (just holds 2100rpm until the car starts moving) and I view it just as a fun factor. Does it make my autocross starts faster? Idunno, but it sure is fun to see a dieselcar at the start line going bruuuuuuuu-bum-bum-bum-bum-bum! I've found 2100rpm to be the sweet spot for my car's power level in dry weather. There is no torque limiting on mine as speed increases so it wouldn't work in the rain, my tires would just spin.
I even had Mark make sure the revs bounced! :D:D:p
I think the "popcorn" limiter is referring to that "bum-bum-bum" noise that I've tried mimicking by typing out.

cool:)

my lc is set at 1800rpm just now.works in the dry a treat-still lots of spin in the wet.

Reckon new tyres may be sensible, but that costs money;)

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
cool:)
my lc is set at 1800rpm just now.works in the dry a treat-still lots of spin in the wet.
Reckon new tyres may be sensible, but that costs money;)
What tires do you have? I have 225cm wide 280 treadwear summer tires and it sticks pretty well. Heavy setup though.

tromano32

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS 5spd 249k miles
I have essentially a stock car with tune but have been playing with LC too... I had mine popcorn but doesn't build boost and seems kinda bad for the car so I went with about 2800rpm limit and builds about 8lbs but spins tires like crazy lol so I don't think I will be using it all that often

WoodieGuthrie

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Octavia Tdi 90bhp
I have essentially a stock car with tune but have been playing with LC too... I had mine popcorn but doesn't build boost and seems kinda bad for the car so I went with about 2800rpm limit and builds about 8lbs but spins tires like crazy lol so I don't think I will be using it all that often

my tune has full boost coming in about 2000rpm.

having LC at 1800rpm means it doesnt just boost like billio from the off

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
He means that revving without load he can make 8 psi. It doesn't matter if the tune asks for more, without load you cannot build the boost.

BTW, that pop pop limiter reduces the amount of boost you can build.
Make it smooth drop like you see below and it won't pop pop.

I too did the speed limiting rpm through the range for 1st gear. Originally, I made it to slip 10% rpm, but sometimes it would cut power without wheelspin. The ecu sometimes seems not fast enough to react. So best to give a wider leeway.

WoodieGuthrie

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Octavia Tdi 90bhp
He means that revving without load he can make 8 psi. It doesn't matter if the tune asks for more, without load you cannot build the boost.

BTW, that pop pop limiter reduces the amount of boost you can build.
Make it smooth drop like you see below and it won't pop pop.

I too did the speed limiting rpm through the range for 1st gear. Originally, I made it to slip 10% rpm, but sometimes it would cut power without wheelspin. The ecu sometimes seems not fast enough to react. So best to give a wider leeway.

thanks for that-will have a look tonight when I get in!

tromano32

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS 5spd 249k miles
yes I meant no load 8psi... I like your LC map... kinda works like traction control a bit too when you slip in rain and snow?

WoodieGuthrie

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Octavia Tdi 90bhp
This is great fun at junctions or coming onto roundabouts:)

I'm unsure whether it is worth having on every day- but it certainly helps in the wet in the lower gears with current tuning