Just finished my custom built intake manifold

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
hello nice built, I have made my self one a time a go.
what size chamber ? it must have 2L ore more to sabilize the air flow like a storage tank.
the runners are short and this have effect on the air puls resonote effect.
short runners it give a boost at high rpm.
long runners give a boost in ve at low rpm.

mine is based on a lehmann

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW/2006 Jetta BRM
hello nice built, I have made my self one a time a go.
what size chamber ? it must have 2L ore more to sabilize the air flow like a storage tank.
the runners are short and this have effect on the air puls resonote effect.
short runners it give a boost at high rpm.
long runners give a boost in ve at low rpm.

mine is based on a lehmann
Runner length affects airflow at different RPMs. The longer they are, the higher into the range they'll flow properly.

As we're dealing with a diesel, keeping them as short as possible from the main body will assist with low rpm power.

As you mentioned, you want the intake volume to be just over the volume of the engine for buffering.

Last edited:

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
06' Jetta TDI dsg, 445,000 miles and counting!
The longer they are, the higher into the range they'll flow properly.

As we're dealing with a diesel, keeping them as short as possible from the main body will assist with low rpm power.

This information is contrary to what I have always known to be true but ill give it the benefit of the doubt since we are talking diesel engines.

Please, I am curious to see more information on this as.

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW/2006 Jetta BRM
The longer they are, the higher into the range they'll flow properly.

This information is contrary to what I have always known to be true but ill give it the benefit of the doubt since we are talking diesel engines.

Please, I am curious to see more information on this as.
You're right, I had my runner lengths backwards. D'Oh!

We'd actually want longer runners in a diesel. We're talking forced induction though, so things tend to go completely out the window with these tiny engines.

Years ago I got into intake and exhaust theory design when I had a 92 Q45. There is way more research and science behind these things that most people acknowledge. It's not a matter of simply bolting on a "freer flowing" component. That component needs to be designed and tuned to work properly with the rest of the system and, more importantly, in the desired powerband.

If you're interested in learning more I've found that just starting down the Rabbit hole with a Google search like "intake runner length theory" should get the ball rolling.

Last edited:

CrAzYDr1veR

Veteran Member
TDI
MK1 Rabbit
1.5 litre for the plenum, close to 0.5 litre for the runners that are conected to each other throught the old egr holes

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Very cool but I'd go bigger on the plenum.