New Malone kit for 2.0l TDI at SOWO

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Yeah, whoever gets them into production first will probably sell a bunch. Malones kit will probably be a collaborative effort with someone else. I saw the 2260 on Les's car , and immediately got gtb fever.
Yeah I saw it at Waterfest...wow! Sounded pretty gnarly! :D

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Awesome! The plastic mock up just wasn't doing it for me. I can get excited about cast iron.

camboscams

TDI
2014 JSW Stg 2 Malone, CP3 HPFP
My o My.... Where do i mail the check again?
Is there an updated release date?

Thanks

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Cast stainless steel ;)

Once we are done inspecting the samples we will get an updated schedule put together.

Last edited:

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
good work jfettig and ken and mark...this is why the malone following is so strong

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW/2006 Jetta BRM
Cast stainless steel ;)

Once we are done inspecting the samples we will get an updated schedule put together.
How have you gotten past the issue with stainless manifolds cracking compared to cast iron?

What about stainless's tendency to shed heat faster than cast iron?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I could be wrong, but I don't think a cast stainless manifold would be nearly as prone to cracking as a much thinner tubular type stainless manifold. I think the sheer mass of the cast manifold would also retain plenty of heat.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, I found a publication by Caterpillar showing cast stainless to be far superior to cast iron in pretty much every regard.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Looks like I may have waited for all the right reasons :D
I may indeed go this route. Looks like a quality piece for sure!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
I'm intrigued by the "supports both stock and upgraded exhaust" post. Will the stock exhaust support that much power? Also, when I read Malone is releasing an emissions-compliant kit, I wondered if something bigger AND emissions-compliant was coming. It would be cool if their kit resolved cracked DPF's while maintaining emissions compliance. :)

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
Kerma already offers a emissions compliant tune (they are cali based so it makes sense) and they're Dyno figures are pretty impressive.

(I am in no way affiliated to Kerma btw)

EDIT:you are right stealth about the turbo kit being emissions compliant sorry for getting off topic

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Malone offers an emissions-compliant tune, too. However, this thread is about a turbo kit that's also emissions-compliant. So far, I don't think a turbo upgrade that's emissions-compliant exists. That's why this is so interesting.

Last edited:

A05C

TDI
I'd personally like an option for an "not emissions compliant" setup

Like a different turbo, injector/fueling setup for the people who want more than what the Emissions compliant setup can get.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd personally like an option for an "not emissions compliant" setup

Like a different turbo, injector/fueling setup for the people who want more than what the Emissions compliant setup can get.
Of course that will be possible. The main component of this kit will be a "different turbo".

A05C

TDI
Of course that will be possible. The main component of this kit will be a "different turbo".
Yea, the next part is waiting to see the fueling options, and budgeting for a clutch. I'll test the limit of my OE clutch, but I think eventually with the increased torque/power I'll have to budget for a better clutch. We'll see.

DriverJon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 6M
I'd think the lower thermal conductivity of stainless vs cast iron would be good as well, in keeping the exhaust gas temps higher... (or should I say letting less heat energy leak out of the exhaust gas)

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado G60, 90 Corrado 3.6, 92 Corrado VR6, 97 Passat TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI, 2006 Touareg V10, 2011 Golf TDI
Was able to check out the protoype at SOWO this year. Very happy to see the stainless one already cast and hopefully being tested. In a mk6 now, would be very happy to add one of these to the car.

So these are going to be set up to work with factory located exhaust? Already have a 3in downpipe for the stock turbo. Although I do realize they would need a vband welded to the housing as the gtb's utilize a bolt on flange.