Testing Coolant Glow Plugs

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I have a few questions about the coolant glow plugs:

1. What are the standard operating parameters for the coolant glow plugs? When do they operate and under what conditions?
  2. How do I test whether they are working?
  3. How critical are they for a car in a temperate climate like Southern California? Are they worth messing around with?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
They are basically ordinary glowplugs (albeit from the earlier ID engine) and you test 'em the same as any glowplug; with a multimeter. They should read 0.8 - 1 ohms each.

They are activated by a combination of low coolant temperature *and* low ambient temp, as measured by the IAT built into the MAP.

All that said, save yourself some time, cause:

How critical are they for a car in a temperate climate like Southern California? Are they worth messing around with?
In southern CA... I would say absolutely not. :) :) Many many folks in the frozen Great White North don't even know theirs are broken.... they have only a very modest impact on warm-up time. :)

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
dont bother with it, they are basically useless and just really to help with emissions when the car was made.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
dont bother with it, they are basically useless and just really to help with emissions when the car was made.
Not entirely useless, they do help bring coolant temp up quicker and they do work if the system is functioning properly.

I'm glad mine work...

Steve A

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Not entirely useless, they do help bring coolant temp up quicker and they do work if the system is functioning properly.
Agreed, and there's a couple threads here documenting their performance in terms of improved warmup times.

That said, the system does not engage unless both coolant temp and IAT are -5C (23F) or thereabouts initially... would not expect that to happen too many days in So Cal and thus probably not worth a lot of time to fix 'em?