01268 - Quantity Adjuster fault

ytk

TDI
MK3
Hi,
Trying to help a friend.
His car has some engine running issues, sometimes it wont start, sometimes it will die in the middle of the highway and sometimes it wont rev up and have some hesitation to it.
His glowplug light was flashing so I told him he should scan and we might get smarter after the scan .
We got two related faults:

01268 - Quantity Adjuster (N146) 27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent 01268 - Quantity Adjuster (N146) 17-10 - Control Difference - Intermittent

I did some reading and from what I could understand it is most likely one of two things: Electrical issue on the way to the IP, or some kind debris or faultiness In the Quantity Adjuster it self.

Is there any thing else we can check for ? Is it a know issue? Any easier remedies?

As a last resort I told him we can try and swap the Quantity Adjuster unit from one of two donor cars . Will that work (assuming they are functioning) ?

Thanks!

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
Those codes point to a potential electrical fault more than a mechanical one. The first two things I would check would be the harness plug for the QA. Sometimes corrosion can find its way in and you want those contacts to be clean. Second, check if the wiring is rubbing on anything that would cause the wires to become damaged. If you see damaged wires I would suspect that is your culprit if there are no other codes.

The QA assembly doesn't usually go bad unless it has been messed with in some way. They are incredibly robust parts considering the level of precision required to operate them.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Hi,
Trying to help a friend.
His car has some engine running issues, sometimes it wont start, sometimes it will die in the middle of the highway and sometimes it wont rev up and have some hesitation to it.
His glowplug light was flashing so I told him he should scan and we might get smarter after the scan .
We got two related faults:
01268 - Quantity Adjuster (N146) 27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent 01268 - Quantity Adjuster (N146) 17-10 - Control Difference - Intermittent
I did some reading and from what I could understand it is most likely one of two things: Electrical issue on the way to the IP, or some kind debris or faultiness In the Quantity Adjuster it self.
Is there any thing else we can check for ? Is it a know issue? Any easier remedies?
As a last resort I told him we can try and swap the Quantity Adjuster unit from one of two donor cars . Will that work (assuming they are functioning) ?
Thanks!
First I would check the wiring to the injection pump for chafing, especially if the collets have never been removed. Check inside the plastic harness cover for any damage to the wiring insulation that might cause a short.

Verify that your wiring is intact before going after the QA, if you open the IP top to check the QA it's a pretty involved process to get it reset and the car running again. I would open IP as last resort in this case after I've verified everything external to the IP.

Steve