Drivers seat cushion bottom replacment

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Is there a how to on this project? My drivers seat is not as firm as it used to be. I was wondering what the procedure was to get he bottom seat cushion back to like new. Mine isnt shot, just not quite as firm as it once was. Thx

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I ordered a new seat cushion because mine has become really marshmallowy. I read the above instructions and it says you need hog ring pliers to separate the cloth cover from the foam cushion. I have read some articles that say there are no hog rings installed at all. I have non heated fully manual seats covered in cloth. It's a 2002 golf. Can anyone confirm or deny if there are hog rings to remove from a cloth covered seat bottom? It looks to me that you remove the seat, take the knob and lever off, the plastic shroud and unclio te seat cover from the frame and replace the cushion. These hog rings are what I'm concerned about. Also, any tips or things I should be aware of not to rip fabric or break the plastic valance?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Replaced the vinyl cover/heater for the lower cushion on my 2006 and there were no hog rings. The cover had plastic strips the went into retainers on the seat bottom. Hope that helps.

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
Powerstroke: I redid my 2002 golf seats back in 2004 and the OE seat cover fabric had these "sewn-in channels" that the seat underwire support system slipped through.. I did have a set of hog ring pliers and hog rings but I do not think I used them. Hope this helps.

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
Yes hard (for me) to explain but the underwire seat system slips through the fabric cover, the wires "pull" the fabric down into cushion to keep it nice and taught (sp) ,,, member GoneDiesel provided some pictures years ago but I checked my HD and they are not there. I will check a couple of more places but no promises.

It is tedious but not difficult. If a timing belt is a 7/10, this is a 3/10.

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
I just had my seat cushion and both front covers replaced today. I bought the cushion and the covers and took them to a local upholstery shop. They charged $65 total.

I didn't check other prices, but I think that was extraordinarily cheap.

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I I got you. So the metal rods will be in the new seat cushion I assume......or run from one side of the frame to the other.....so I guess you have to be careful when you pull the cushion cover off and slowly disconnect them. Thanks.

Last edited:

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Btw....is it normal for these seats to get soft? Every repair thread I've come across is because of upgrading to heated seats or leather. I'm just changing the cushion because my cheeks seem to be sinking in a bit more than I would like. I'm not even a big guy, about 170lbs.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
I ordered a new seat cushion because mine has become really marshmallowy. I read the above instructions and it says you need hog ring pliers to separate the cloth cover from the foam cushion. I have read some articles that say there are no hog rings installed at all. I have non heated fully manual seats covered in cloth. It's a 2002 golf. Can anyone confirm or deny if there are hog rings to remove from a cloth covered seat bottom? It looks to me that you remove the seat, take the knob and lever off, the plastic shroud and unclio te seat cover from the frame and replace the cushion. These hog rings are what I'm concerned about. Also, any tips or things I should be aware of not to rip fabric or break the plastic valance?
Where did you get them?
The 02 seats are mush and need some TLC

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Dealers, that's the usual place for them. Make sure you find the right part number the though because there's the standard ones, sports and recaro and they're all different.

The wire things for holding the cover in place are very easy to deal with, you just use pliers to grab the cross wire and unhook it from the one going long ways then unhook the one going long ways from the anchor at each end. The bottom of the cover has a plastic strip that just tucks in to the frame around the bottom but most of the info is in that ukmivs link.

Only thing I've found that varies is the plastic trim around the base, some look like you need to pull the adjustment knobs off to get the trim off while others separate before the adjusting knob.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's pretty cheap for seat base cushion! I'm looking at £70 UK minimum for one for a recaro over here.

migbro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL
How many of you folks have changed the seat back cushions and seat back bolsters? Are you finding that these are wearing out as well?
I know more about these seats than I really want to. I have tan cloth seats and have stripped my front and rear seats to clean the seat covers. Just bought some really nice leather seats though so I have a lot of like-new tan cloth seat parts that I won't be using.

Changing the seat base cushion is not too bad. Changing the seat back cushion is a bit more work. The seat back covers all wear on the outer bolsters because of what I consider to be a design error. The side airbag installed in the seat back has a sharp corner that is not properly padded and it attacks the seat cover from the inside.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Depends on the type of seat, like the recaro for instance has a really big bolster and gets a lot of rubbing when getting in and out the car. The box standard seats don't have that same issue though usually. The sport seats are somewhere in between and can also get a bit worn.

The recaros don't wear out the same as in they don't tend to get soft as such, just wear from getting in and out the car especially the base because it's a hell of a big bolster on the base to climb over. Even old though they're still really firm.

Sport type

And proper recaros

You can see the difference in the size of the bolsters on them. Is this the style of seats you guys are dealing with or are yours the box standard basic ones?

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Mine are standard gl. I'm replacing the bottom cushion because the softness is really starting to bug me. I was wondering about the seat back cushions and bolsters, but they're still pretty firm. How much is a brand new seat? How about recaros?

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Seatman: that lower driver seat looks like the cushion is basically shot. You can see the slop in the cushion cover. Mine is like that, but not as bad as yours. The cushion in mine has reached the point where it's just way too soft.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Seatman: that lower driver seat looks like the cushion is basically shot. You can see the slop in the cushion cover. Mine is like that, but not as bad as yours. The cushion in mine has reached the point where it's just way too soft.
It's just that raised edge, the rest of the base cushion is very firm, it's a common problem with the recaros but I did get the full set for like £40 UK which is pretty dam cheap.

Must've had another fat owner before me lol