02 ALH wont start

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Whitdeog, come on dude, thats kinda messed up. I understand what you're saying but lets hope thats not the case.
As my daddy would say, you can hope in one hand and poo in the other and see which one fills up first. :D

98rzvr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 4dr TDI
I never did that, stop trying to start stuff. I had a guy locally selling a 11mm pump so I wanted to take mine off as soon as I sell it and install the 11mm but thanks for the help on this subject

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, you just never changed the timing belt? I mean, you spent a bunch of time and money upgrading everything else.

98rzvr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 4dr TDI
When I purchased the car, which was 20k miles ago, according to the previous owner and according to the receipt, he replaced the timing belt. I even called the shop to verify and they said his car was in service for that so i thought everything would be good to go. About 10k miles ago, I took the cover off to see how the belt looked and the belt was very tight. I checked it yesterday and it wasnt so thats where I thought something was wrong. I think the guy just replaced the timing belt and nothing else, thats my guess.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Welcome to the trusted the previous owner about the TB club... you are not alone.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Haha Thank you, you gotta love it.
On a more serious note, pull the valve cover and have a good look. You will probably see the spider webs fairly easily, then you will know you have to pull the head.

98rzvr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 4dr TDI
I appreciate all the help guys, I think thats what we are all here for. Are you talking about spider webs on the lifters?

98rzvr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 4dr TDI
Ok cool, i checked yesterday and I didnt see anything but I'll triple check today to verify it 100%. Thanks again

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Ok cool, i checked yesterday and I didnt see anything but I'll triple check today to verify it 100%. Thanks again
With the cam in they can be tough to see and you probably need to wipe the oil film off them with a soft cloth rag. It may be even possible to feel a bulged lifter top that isn't cracked.
Pay special attention to exhaust valve/lifters.
Sorry for your troubles, but that is why I encouraged the close TB inspection of both condition and tension.

Last edited:

98rzvr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 4dr TDI
I think what i will do is just take the cam off and inspect the lobes, lifters, and retainers and all that good stuff so hopefully today I'll have some good news

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I think what i will do is just take the cam off and inspect the lobes, lifters, and retainers and all that good stuff so hopefully today I'll have some good news
Yep. Pull the cam. That's what I would do.
Not to say that's the best course of action maybe, but, that's makes it a lot easier to see and you probably will be pulling the head anyways.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I understand that but if i rotated the motor about 4 or 5 times and it didnt bind up anywhere then I am hoping I am ok
Before or after the belt change? After is irrelevant, since the damage would have already been done.

- Tim

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Line the engine up, cam crank and pump, that'll tell you how far in or out everything is and whether or not the belt has jumped. If it hasn't jumped at all I'd personally be surprised if things hit.

Loose is one thing but barely hanging on is another story lol

98rzvr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 4dr TDI
I lined everything up and I noticed that the only thing that was out was the Pump but I dont have the locking tools so i pretty much made sure the flywheel was perfectly lined up, and then the lobes were up and the cam was horizontal so I "assumed" i was good there and then the pump was off by a tooth or two.

98rzvr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 4dr TDI
I did notice though yesterday that the tensioner has some side to side movement, not like its loose or anything but it does move from side to side a little, is that normal? I am replacing everything the belt touches tmr, I got a kit from IDparts, the 100k kit.