Brand new Jetta tdi!!!

Kelkel2

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
Since it is a diesel, this motor will go well over 100k if maintained properly.Our other car is a 2000 jetta with 270k on it and the last oil sample said the motor looked great and to extend oil changes to 13k. In the winter if you need to install a heater or live where it's cold enough to use one, they are easy to install and make it nice with almost having instant heat. Did you by the 6 speed?
No I bought an automatic. I'm way too distracted while driving to drive a manual :)

nickfancher1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI - 39k - DSG
Demand he get in it and drive it, and stick that pedal down and show him how it scoots! Or at least take him for a good ride!

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
All the more reason to drive a manual - you HAVE to pay attention to your DRIVING and not all that other crap that Americans do in cars.

100 K miles - My 2000 Beetle is at 327,000+ and I'm going for at least 500,000 miles.. The only reason we got the DSG was for instant gratification - and as it turned out - it was a good thing we had the DSG - about a week earlier before we got the Golf, I turned my left ankle badly - as in, I'm still recovering after it was on a velcro boot for 2.5 weeks where I couldn't gracefully handle a clutch. Maybe in a week or 2 I might be able to handle yard work... and get back on the '97 Valkyrie :) .

JDenyer232

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
Just bought one this year. -20F one morning and it started better than my 2010 Subaru. Cold start issues are a thing of the past with modern common rail diesels. Just wait till the glow plug light goes out before starting and it will start as well as any gas engine. Fuel gelling can be a concern in very cold weather if the fuel hasn't been winterized. This is rarely a problem as fuel suppliers are pretty good at making sure the fuel will flow in the temp ranges for your area, but it doesn't hurt to add an anti-gel additive. I use stanadyne lubricity year round and their performance additive in the cold months as added insurance. Fuel filter plugging with wax crystals during extreme cold used to be a problem but not anymore as the filter is heated from the heat generated by the high pressure fuel pump. Modern diesels don't need to be plugged in, of course you can add a block heater if you want the cabin to warm-up quicker but they are not needed to start it up. Did you get a 2014 or a 2015? Oh and pictures are always nice:D Welcome to TDI ownership. I think you're gonna like it.

Last edited:

SpinininaTDI

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I just brought home my brand new 2015 Jetta tdi yesterday, I am really excited about it.
However, my dad not so much. he was not so happy with me for purchasing it. Saying "why didn't you ask my opinion first?" Etc.. I didn't ask his opinion because he doesn't like volkswagens and he would have likely turned his nose up at anything other than a GM make care...
Anyways he's very convinced that I will have issues with it in the winter. I did ask some questions here before buying it, so I feel pretty good about my purchase, but my dad's reaction just kind of shook me.
Since I park outside all the time he is convinced it will never start in the winter, we live in Illinois. Someone please convince me that I didn't really screw up... I really didn't think I did? I already love my Tdi! That thing flies compaird to my beetle!
I live in the Chicago area too and have made it thru 4 winters with my TDI. Let your old man know that this isn't like the old diesel cars where they need to stay warm, or require fuel additive. VW made a reasonably sound car here. Just make sure you don't put above 5% bio here <---I'm a broken record on this! Only run 5% or less, or D2 petro. Here is a link for where you can fuel up.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?msa=0&mid=zRj9I2UppmLg.kQpjE7vTSjOA

Kelkel2

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
Just bought one this year. -20F one morning and it started better than my 2010 Subaru. Cold start issues are a thing of the past with modern common rail diesels. Just wait till the glow plug light goes out before starting and it will start as well as any gas engine. Fuel gelling can be a concern in very cold weather if the fuel hasn't been winterized. This is rarely a problem as fuel suppliers are pretty good at making sure the fuel will flow in the temp ranges for your area, but it doesn't hurt to add an anti-gel additive. I use stanadyne lubricity year round and their performance additive in the cold months as added insurance. Fuel filter plugging with wax crystals during extreme cold used to be a problem but not anymore as the filter is heated from the heat generated by the high pressure fuel pump. Modern diesels don't need to be plugged in, of course you can add a block heater if you want the cabin to warm-up quicker but they are not needed to start it up. Did you get a 2014 or a 2015? Oh and pictures are always nice:D Welcome to TDI ownership. I think you're gonna like it.
I got the 2015!!!
So the heater would help keep it warm and prevent issues but it is not necessary?
I'll post pics but how on earth do I?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
This thread should have been posted in the Jetta MK6 page......but you made a good and proper choice of cars......Love mine!

Last edited:

Kelkel2

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
I live in the Chicago area too and have made it thru 4 winters with my TDI. Let your old man know that this isn't like the old diesel cars where they need to stay warm, or require fuel additive. VW made a reasonably sound car here. Just make sure you don't put above 5% bio here <---I'm a broken record on this! Only run 5% or less, or D2 petro. Here is a link for where you can fuel up.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?msa=0&mid=zRj9I2UppmLg.kQpjE7vTSjOA
Do you have any tips for starting it up after being gone for a long vacation over winter? We are planning a 10 day vacation this coming winter and the car will be outside. I don't want to get back and have it not start...

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I would not necessarily worry about something that will happen a year from now.......
But the only thing that will really cause you a problem would be gelled fuel and people have already suggested an additive....

Last edited:

Kelkel2

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
I would not necessarily worry about something that will happen a year from now.......
But the only thing that will really cause you a problem would be gelled fuel and people have already suggested an additive....
Great thanks you guys for all your help! I'll be sure to do the additive and not worry about it ;)

Last edited:

JDenyer232

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
10 day vacation? Just turn the key, let the glow plug light go out and fire it up. No need to do anything special. I was really surprised at how easily these new diesels start. They start better than a lot of the gassers out there. Just make sure you have all the maintenance done when it's due and you'll have this car for a very long time. Also make darn sure that you don't accidently put gas in the car instead of diesel, that could be a very costly mistake. Never fuel by just the nozzle color, always read the pump to make sure you are pumping diesel. The heater will not prevent any issues, it's mainly for faster warm-up. I find that the car warms up pretty quick on it's own, I wouldn't add it to mine, it's just not necessary. Oh and congrats on your new car:)

Kelkel2

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
10 day vacation? Just turn the key, let the glow plug light go out and fire it up. No need to do anything special. I was really surprised at how easily these new diesels start. They start better than a lot of the gassers out there. Just make sure you have all the maintenance done when it's due and you'll have this car for a very long time. Also make darn sure that you don't accidently put gas in the car instead of diesel, that could be a very costly mistake. Never fuel by just the nozzle color, always read the pump to make sure you are pumping diesel. The heater will not prevent any issues, it's mainly for faster warm-up. I find that the car warms up pretty quick on it's own, I wouldn't add it to mine, it's just not necessary. Oh and congrats on your new car:)
Thank you thank you!!! I'm in love I really am! Really I need to find a good fling station in town that has proper diesel. I would like to find D2 but according to the list I found on this site our town has very few stations? I'm hoping that doesn't become an issue. Downstate Illinois just doesn't seem to be on the up and up with good diesel...
When you guys travel how do you guys seek out D2? Where do you know to stop? Do you just stop and hope they have it? Or is it more common then I'm thinking?

scottydog

TDI
2015 Passat SE DSG
I got the 2015!!!
So the heater would help keep it warm and prevent issues but it is not necessary?
I'll post pics but how on earth do I?
Yes D2 is diesel #2.
I have a 2015 and with the shutter grill it warms up in 3-4 miles. It would be a pain to run an extension cord out the the car to heat the engine, and your dad would be saying " I told you so!". I would hold off on the heater unless you have problems, which you won't. ;)

If you have the NAV it has a 'find diesel" option!

Last edited:

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Just remember to give it 10-15 seconds after you turn the key on before you attempt to start in really cold weather. I had a couple of times this winter where I forgot to do that, and had to wait for ?cylinder pressure? ?battery recovery? before I could crank it again.

Also remember it's going to take a bit longer for your engine to warm up, but you do have heated seats, and if you turn heat to max and the fan to 2 or higher (would suggest you stick with 2) there is a 1000W electric element in your heater that kicks in.

No, these cars start wonderfully in cold weather, just as long as you remember to get the glow plugs a few seconds to heat up when you're below freezing.

Only other diesel engine I know of that could handle such cold temperatures without issue was in a British Tractor made by David-Brown and it didn't even have glow plugs.....but it would start in any kind of weather once you cranked for about 30 seconds.

JDenyer232

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
Also remember it's going to take a bit longer for your engine to warm up, but you do have heated seats, and if you turn heat to max and the fan to 2 or higher (would suggest you stick with 2) there is a 1000W electric element in your heater that kicks in.
No electric heater on the 2015s as far as I know, unless the Canadian models have them? The EA288 uses 3 coolant circuits and 3 water pumps, 2 of which are electric, and one belt driven pump that can be turned off. The cylinder head circuit is the one that feeds the cabin heater to allow for fast warmup.

Kelkel2

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
Just remember to give it 10-15 seconds after you turn the key on before you attempt to start in really cold weather. I had a couple of times this winter where I forgot to do that, and had to wait for ?cylinder pressure? ?battery recovery? before I could crank it again.

No, these cars start wonderfully in cold weather, just as long as you remember to get the glow plugs a few seconds to heat up when you're below freezing.

Only other diesel engine I know of that could handle such cold temperatures without issue was in a British Tractor made by David-Brown and it didn't even have glow plugs.....but it would start in any kind of weather once you cranked for about 30 seconds.
What about a push to start? How would I handle that? I don't technically have a key...I just put my foot on the brake pedal and hit the start button. So what would I want to do as far as giving the glow plugs time?

eats1963

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
With push to start, just push the start button without putting your foot on the brake. Watch for the glow plug light to go out. Put your foot on the brake, and then push the start button. It will fire right up. Let it run for about 30 seconds or so, and then just start driving nice and easy until you see the temp gauge get up past the 2nd line. Don't start it and let it idle for long periods of time. It will not heat up that way.

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
Here's a thread about starting TDI's in cold weather.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=231504

As all have said, you'll have no issues in cold weather. Don't even worry about it. Just let your dad talk about it, and he'll eat his words next winter when it starts right up at -20°F.

A few decades ago his opinion might've had credence, but not for a long time now...

I wouldn't get any type of plug in heater either, you don't need it. Some may want it for the instant heat in the cabin, or because they live in consistent extremely cold weather, but it's not needed where you live.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
First of all congratulations!
Secondly, I've been driving TDI's since 1998. I live in the northeast. We've seen our share of snow and had our share of sub-zero temps. I have never had problems with my car parked in the street. Adding additives is good for piece of mind, but plenty of people don't use them and DONT have any problems either. That said, it's probably a good idea if you plan to own this car for years and years. I use them most of the time.
Thirdly: If you can find biodiesel at a local filling station, use the B05. The added lubricity will further help your engine, as will the higher cetane. Most diesel in America has less than 50, which VW recommends. Biodiesel will bring that up considerably even using 5%. And that's 5% grown here in America. I have a 2005 and can go all the way up to B100. Your car can use up to B20, but wait until it's out of warranty. Wait, your in Illinois so you can use B20, which is sold everywhere! Lucky you!
4thly: If you own the car a long time, get the mud flaps! They will protect agains rocks hitting the sides when turning! (Also keeps the car cleaner, longer!)
Just sayin'...

Kelkel2

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
So just got home from the grocery store. Our Deisel pump says less than 15% sulfa but the attendant says they use less than 5% so I'll be good filling up there correct?

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
So just got home from the grocery store. Our Deisel pump says less than 15% sulfa but the attendant says they use less than 5% so I'll be good filling up there correct?
My guess is that it said less than 15 PPM (parts per million) sulfur, which is what ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) should be. This is different than the % bio-diesel.

JDenyer232

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
Just so you know, all diesel in the US is ultra low sulfur, even if it's labeled as not being so. There are a few stations out there that are improperly labeled, there is one near me and I have told them several times now that their pump is mislabeled. ULSD is what your car needs and is all that you can get here in the states. I believe that Illinois mandates 20% biodiesel but I could be wrong on that as I don't live there.

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
Show him this picture of my '03 Jetta TDI taken Friday. After 308,000 miles, still doing 719 miles on 14.55 gal (49.4 MPG). Ask him to show you a picture of a similar GM dash.

Kelkel2

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
Wow!!! Your car is going strong! The exact reason I bought a TDI!
Btw my dealer called today to ask how the car was! I told her great, but asked about the diesel fuel in Illinois. She said anything in Illinois is probably fine but the recommend Shell or BP for quality and do not use biodiesel.

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
GM tried to make a diesel in passenger cars in the mid 80's and foaled miserably, could say the same about them today I guess.
How long has VW been making diesels? ????
Some years ago I worked with an X-GM engineer, he admitted that the gm diesel was released for sale before it was ready. Do you think so. And managed to kill the domestic made diesel market. Planed from the beginning, by GM?