Fuel leak.

Bdblk12v

TDI
99 beetle
Hello I have a 99 tdi beetle. The ip is leaking on the head end of the pump. It looks to be the center cap between the DV holders. If I buy the seal kit can I pull the old seals and replace them, can i do this without vag com? I live in south east New Mexico and looked at the database and closest member is in El Paso or Abilene tx. Thanks for the help.

phawkins224

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Se as rich how section I re seal..... you will need a vag.....if you are not mechanically inclined I would suggest you not try this....

Bdblk12v

TDI
99 beetle
I'm mechanically inclined. I build and repair large natural gas engines. I've worked on class 8 trucks for years and have too many diesel vehicles. I know fuel systems are like surgery clean clean clean. I was curious if I had to have vag or could get it don't without it. Thanks.

kwong7

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI / White
My IP started leaking after 14 years and 250K miles. Leonard from Wild Rose Motors replaced the seals and not 20 miles later, the low pressure fuel return line started leaking. I brought the car back and he replaced the fuel lines in about 40 seconds. The original cloth cover lines were pretty brittle, I would suggest you take a look at yours and consider replacing them too while you're at it.

merk

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta sedan, 03 silver wagon
I did it without VAG in hand. Marking it clearly and accurately will get your leak fixed and back on the road. On the road to someone who has vag so you can dial it in properly. The leak was making a mess, had to be fixed.
I'm mechanically inclined. I build and repair large natural gas engines. I've worked on class 8 trucks for years and have too many diesel vehicles. I know fuel systems are like surgery clean clean clean. I was curious if I had to have vag or could get it don't without it. Thanks.

JohnWilder

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5 spd manual
People. I don't know if this is the correct forum. I met Robby Plenge of http://www.runonbeer.com. I had a problem that he fixed quickly, professionally, honestly and for a very fair price. He even had the parts on hand. I highly recommend him. He is in south east Austin but probably people in San Antonio might consider the trip. He is worth it.

murfysflaw

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
I did mine and it wasn't too big of a deal. I got it restarted w/o the VAGCOM initially, then when I got one, I was able to dial it in. Even marking it you won't get it back on exactly I suspect, but I expect it'll restart just fine. Someone close probably has one you can borrow or they'll help for a 6 pack.

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
As I understand it, the OP is talking about the plug in the center of the distribution head, not the QA cover. As long as the QA cover is not disturbed, there should be no problem other than air that will enter the pump and injector lines.

It would be a good idea to review Robby's videos to become familiar with the pump, so there are no surprises.