K&N AIR FILTER for 96 passat tdi?

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
K&N air filter

gavros777 said:
you guys think would be a good idea to use a k&n air filter on a 96 tdi?
If you had done a search you would find that it is not a good idea to use a K&N air filter or any oiled air filter. It provides no increase in performance and is a death sentence for the MAF!:eek:

gavros777

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat b4v tdi
thanks guys my brother put it in my car few days ago, should it be ok when i change it tomorrow?, he claims to be an expert, time to kick his ass lol.

Last edited:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
gavros777 said:
thanks guys my brother put it in my car few days ago, should it be ok when i change it tomorrow?, he claims to be an expert, time to kick his ass lol.
Yea, it would take it out tomorrow and hope it was no over oiled and did not do any damage.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
You'll be OK for the day or so that it's been in. The B4 (and A3) MAF were less sensitive to shorting from the oil and dirt the K&N (and other oiled media filters) pass, than were the MAF used on later cars.

gavros777

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat b4v tdi
when i went to buy a normal airfilter they told me that even the paper air filters have some oil in them to keep the dust out, any thoughts on that?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
gavros777 said:
when i went to buy a normal airfilter they told me that even the paper air filters have some oil in them to keep the dust out, any thoughts on that?
Yes,
Buy your supplies somewhere else.:)

Bill

gavros777

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat b4v tdi
i bought 2 from otm646's link up above

it's kinda scary that if you don't pay attention in little things like air filters, it might cost you a good buck, thanks for the advices.