hard cold start

01jettavwtdi

TDI
2001 jetta TDI ALH
2000 vw beetele ALH. Have a problem. When its cold about 20 degrees F. it starts hard I cycle the glow plugs at least 10 times it starts better. Cranks about 10 seconds then fires. If I drive it around then let it sit for 3 hours then it acts like there's no fuel and cranks for 20 seconds before even firing. I'm very familiar with diesels. But I just want to make sure it's not pump timing instead of replacing the pump. Seems like it's back draining. But runs great when it starts doesn't miss a best. New fuel filter also. It only has 220k miles. My jetta has 300k and never had a pump and starts great. My question is where to start.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
It sounds to me like you are on to something with the drainback theory. If this is indeed the case, you should probably start with the fuel return lines at the injectors and the connections/hoses around the thermostatic 't' at the fuel filter. These are both pretty good places for air to leak in. The fuel return lines because they get old and ignored, and the t - well just because it is really easy for air to leak in at that junction and very hard to see it happen when there's really no tell-tale due to suction on that side.

A quick check on the thermo-t is to use a little vaseline or other heavy grease around the t - particularly the o-rings and then plug it back in, making sure it is well seated. And make sure the 4 fuel line connections at the filter are not leaking air. On my cars, I replace the clamps with the screw-tightened ring clamps, but some may think this is overkill.

Good luck,

PH

01jettavwtdi

TDI
2001 jetta TDI ALH
Thanks for the reply. I've replaced the T on the fuel filter. Did the return line hose. Just seems like maybe its cranking to slow to register? I know on power strokes (I work for Ford) it needs minimum of 750 rpms to start. It seems like its getting fuel it tries firing and smoke is rolling out like its getting fuel it just won't catch and start. Is there a check valve in the pump at all?

wrenchman30

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 gray 2006 dark blue
since you work for ford you know that the glow plugs shouldn't need to be cycled 10 times to start, not sure if your working on a car or its yours, (I am betting its side work) if its smoking its getting fuel and your low on compression or late timing at the injection pump, the complete story will get you better internet help