MK4 Xeon (HID) upgrade questions

ClimbRunOm

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta ALH
Okiedoke, I live in a fairly rural area and the windy mountain roads here get sketchy at night with the stock jetta lights, even with the most bad-ass Phillips halogens I could find... I've searched for about an hour through the forum and I'm still a little fuzzy on some details about upgrading to projectors and HIDs.
the housings I'm looking at are these Spec-D housings:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016RXMQ5K/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_fK1UCbE50YYGQ
There's a review saying they're hard to replace bulbs on though... I've seen a lot of links to the midwest creations housing, but I'm not crazy about them. Having two separate bulbs is going to be brighter anyway.
  • If I'm going to pop HIDs into this housing, do I need 4 ballasts/igniters? or is it just one ballast per housing?
  • Is there a reputable seller/manufacturer for ballasts? (I've heard morimoto is reputable, but several websites have low reviews for their gear)
  • Should I just use HIDs for the high beams and LEDs for low beams? (this seems the least expensive and requires the least extra kit)
  • How involved is wiring in the Euro light switch (I haven't researched this yet, so I apologize if it's already been answered elsewhere)
  • Will a housing like this handle 55w? or should I stick to 35W? Will the Midwest housings handle 55w?
  • Is all this headache actually worth it?
I'm just trying to put a complete shopping list together.
Thanks!

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
There’s a few active threads on this topic in the MKIV discussion sub-forum, but I’ll see if I can offer a few answers.

Typically, you only use 1 ballast per headlight.

You’d probably want only HID low beams with an electronically controlled cut-off shutter, triggered by the high beam.

The Euro switch is plug and play, but if you want to do something extra (like use the front rear fogs) you’ll most likely need to do some wiring.

I think the 2 most recent discussions on the topic were by KrashDH & PorjectPak.

Good luck

Edit: Yes, good HID projectors make a huge difference, was the stock Jetta headlight design is pretty poor. And here’s one of the current threads
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=498130