Ea288 150HP head of VS ea288 240HP head

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
2.0 TDI CR SWAP ALWAYS FOR SALE
Hello, I know the EA288 share some components but I wasn't sure about the head. I'd like to make a performance engine here in the USA and the CRUA engine available has a head that looks the same as the European beast CUA 240HP. I wanted to know if there were some infos? Any matching part numbers? Same cams and valves?
Please let me know. We are going to Pikes Peak again next year and want the best flow possible engine to start with.

Thanks!

Greg

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Speak with a tuner that has done a bigger turbo with CRUA or CVCA, they may tell you head flow is not an issue. I know of at least one CVCA with GTB2260 that Malone has tuned, unfortunately no dyno numbers but they may be able to give you some info.

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
Dang! The EA288 cams are stuck in the housing! It is not serviceable they say and the whole assemby if needed...

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Dang! The EA288 cams are stuck in the housing! It is not serviceable they say and the whole assemby if needed...
Yep, I'd imagine custom cams would be difficult.

Only way to know how different the valves and springs (and head) would be to order some and compare :)

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
You can make good hp with the normal engine without spending money on exotic new cyl heads. Stick with what you have, porting + camshafts and you are ready for 400 with some fine tuning which is not easy.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
If you modify your head...you can get similar results. Also, cams are always available. Just have them custom ground.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Cams are only available as a module on the EA288 (pictured) that then attaches to the cylinder head. CBEA/CJAA is EA188 and have traditional style cams placed into the cylinder head. I don't know how cams are reground, but surely the housing would get in the way?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
Okay so the cuaa head has intake cams and exhaust cams like the traditional CR so far. Now.. the US spec has Intake and exhaust on the same camshaft. The goal is to swirl to the max. I'm looking for a cuaa full head to try a head swap for this year piles peak run!

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Okay so the cuaa head has intake cams and exhaust cams like the traditional CR so far. Now.. the US spec has Intake and exhaust on the same camshaft. The goal is to swirl to the max. I'm looking for a cuaa full head to try a head swap for this year piles peak run!
Correct. The EA288s in the U.S. don't have variable cam timing to my knowledge and they also have the ports 90 degrees off from what a traditional engine has. So, instead of one camshaft doing all the intake valves and the other doing all the exhaust valves, each cam is doing half of each. So, CBEA/CJAA cams definitely would NOT work as a basis for the American EA288 cylinder head TDIs.

That, and has been mentioned, they come as part of the cam cage as a "modular" assembly. It was not designed to be taken apart to allow cam service, only to have the whole setup replaced as an assembly.

Of course, where there's a will, there's a way, but it will be much more labor intensive and expensive than any of the older TDIs.
Realistically, the setup is fine for higher performance designs, but higher rate valve spring rates would not be a bad thing for the extra boost pressure the 240 hp turbo setup would make.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
The old cr head has capability to reach 290-300 in stock form.
With porting and camshaft it will go over 400hp. Too much of a trouble in swapping heads ..not even sure is possible.

mrchill

TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
It can be done....but its a drag. The old engines can in fact make excellent power. I really like the CUAA(and have done a ton of research on it), but they are just different enough, that the swap wouldnt be as easy as one would think. Are you looking for a particular benefit that the CUAA offers?

mrchill

TDI
the CUAA cams are not the same as the usa ones. and they dont have VVT...and in addition, they reduced swirl 50% as I recall.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
I know it says that the came are locked into the assembly, but they had to assemble it some how. the came were made independently as well as the casting/housing. there has to be a way of getting it apart.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I know it says that the came are locked into the assembly, but they had to assemble it some how. the came were made independently as well as the casting/housing. there has to be a way of getting it apart.
The two halves of the head are likely chemically bonded. Some of these chemical bondings can be released with heat. How a guy would rebond them im unsure.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I bet the modular cam assembly is pressed together somehow. Even if you could get it apart without damaging it, you might not be able to get it back together.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Just not worth the trouble. You need to run the entire engine with electronics and every module needed for ecu to work. Why one would go that route is beyond my understanding. Too much work for nothing.

By the looks of it you can not take out the camshaft from the aluminum part which is 1 piece mould, machined ..camshaft pressed and and lobes positioned by cnc machine.

Just buy the car :)

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I remember seeing the "lobes pressed onto tubes" camshaft production method, interesting to see they've taken it a step further and pressed them together in a housing unit.

ETA: "interesting" in the "I never knew there was quite that much blood inside someone" kind of way.