slow, dumb, cheap compound setup!

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Im talking with company to extrude hone some 6 hole .205 nozzles to .300
they flow test them before and after and set the flow of each nozzle the same.

doktorec

Veteran Member
TDI
AUDI A4B6 AKE(compound in progress)audi a6 AFB(+30% custom nozzles GTX hybrid 2.3bar) golf4 AJM(+300% Biggest PD nozzles gt1756gtx-2.2bar)
Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
We can offer you 5x360 6x270 nozzles at a good price with 1 year unlimited mileage guarantee and we are developing 7 hole nozzle.
https://www.facebook.com/CpcDieselNozzles/
How many kroner will I have to send to the central bank of nigeria to ensure shipment of the goods?

still no update, working on finishing up a 6x132 belt sander before I start drilling nozzles and burning pistons

sledhead999

TDI
2004 Jetta GL TDI Auto
Just curious if you think my custom built hybrid would make for a decent compound? Maybe too big?

On the left is a MHI EVO3 (big 16G, TD05H) on the right is my hybrid, a 25G compressor with a TD06 turbine and a 7cm housing.

The hybrid was a little to big for my 800cc 2 stroke sled (=1.6L 4 stroke). It was doggy off the bottom, but pulled hard on top when it was wound up.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
jfettig's running (iirc) a kkk bv43 HP and for an atmospheric, a billet gtx-style 20g on a td06sl2 turbine, forget the cm of the housing
seems to light up plenty fine from the video he posted

I should have just gone with a dumb old HX35 for the atmospheric side, much cheaper than the td04 ****show, and one guy on here (p0wer) seems to be able to spool one as a single, so it wouldn't be an issue as an atmospheric turbo...

If I were doing it again, I'd go with something like a box-stock junkyard saab td04hl-15g-5cm (or one of the little td04 based holsets) for the HP, and an HX35 for the atmospheric. My mapping doesn't really take much advantage of the vanes, and I don't really feel like the headache of setting up the maps properly would be worth boost below 2k RPM. Right now I've got it set to request 1000mbar below 2k rpm, and my smoke maps are really lean in the same section of the maps, the DMF has to be hating life and I didn't want to provoke it into failure with lots-o-torque down low.

ETA: Strangely enough, I've got an organic relined clutch disc in there with the OEM (150k miles on it) fw and pp, 35 PSI and all the fuel that pp764s and a 10mm pump can give, no smoke, no clutch slippage. You can feel the DMF springs bottoming out on hard accel though.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Finally beginning setup to start drilling my stock nozzles, and I've just realized that with the current exchange rate, I can get some brandy new DSS-r .360 nozzles shipped to my door for $390. Less money than I've got into my ARL pistons.

What the hell, I'll just take the easy route this time.

Oh, and I've brained it out where if I don't have enough air after this (and I start putting water to the air/water intercooler, so far it hasn't needed even that to max out the QA), I've got a 60mm inducer HX40 16cm that could be made available. I could go two ways with it, replacing the current atmospheric turbo, or tacking it on atop the rest. Future thoughts.

Happened upon a vacuum pump from a 2.5 or something, got some 6806 bearings to fit into it, then I'll run it off the back of the power steering pump for some crankcase evac. Hopefully it survives operation at 12k RPM, it was driven off the camshaft before, and I think the P/S pump is slightly overdriven off the crank. If it seizes it isn't a big deal, worst case it pops off the serpentine belt.

Last edited:

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
SKF & Boca bearing specs show 11.6-13K RPM for that size bearing. If you want to know the speed it's being driving at, count the teeth or diameter of both pulleys and then multiply the appropriate ratio by the engine RPM.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
SKF & Boca bearing specs show 11.6-13K RPM for that size bearing. If you want to know the speed it's being driving at, count the teeth or diameter of both pulleys and then multiply the appropriate ratio by the engine RPM.
Mine are chinese, so divide that by half or more.

I'll be running them with almost no radial or axial load, and with a proper press fit so they'll be preloaded. The pump's plastic vane which is at about a 2.25" radius at the furthest from center is what I'm worried about. That is also sliding against aluminum with... less than the pressurized lubrication it was receiving in the previous application. 1400 surface feet per minute. Might not be happy.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Wont be happy no :p

Better find a 1 or 2 stage dry sump pump and drive ot slower. Make a small oil line from sump to pump inlet for librication and then from bottom of breather tank another small but slightly bigger one to sump to suck in the excess oil again.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Wont be happy no :p

Better find a 1 or 2 stage dry sump pump and drive ot slower. Make a small oil line from sump to pump inlet for librication and then from bottom of breather tank another small but slightly bigger one to sump to suck in the excess oil again.
but then I return all condensate to the crankcase
A good amount of steam comes out of my breather as it is.

Maybe a die grinder properly ported would work better. They're rated at 20k RPM, last for years of daily use without any lubrication (phenolic vanes store what little oil they receive), and might be able to keep up with the crankcase blow by... Gonna take a look around at the stash of old air tools I've got laying about.

ETA: maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. I should be looking for an electric pump for the brake booster and N75, then put the ball bearings into the ALH vacuum pump, then block off the oil feed and revalve the pump so it sucks from the head (on the pump I've got apart there's an extra reed valve in there on the wrong (atmospheric) side of the rotor in case the engine is spun backwards, I'd bet the ALH one has one too) and farts outside (a different cover plate would be easy to make).

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
ALH vac pump have way too little swept volume to keep up with blow by Id say.. u need a decent pump, also condensate wont really by returned if it has no time to condensate at the wall of the catch tank.. it will just go out as vapour together with the blow by gasses.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
ALH vac pump have way too little swept volume to keep up with blow by Id say.. u need a decent pump, also condensate wont really by returned if it has no time to condensate at the wall of the catch tank.. it will just go out as vapour together with the blow by gasses.
Eh, it's a relatively small motor, I'd bet that it could pull a couple inches while not under boost. Main reason's to keep the TD04 from puking out its compressor shaft seal, I could remount it so the shaft's parallel to the ground, but that would involve pulling the motor (because I'm certainly not going to take the air/water intercooler off in the car again) and might not even fix the issue, as the inlet piping will always be at a little bit of a vacuum, what with the restriction of the filter and all. Thus, crankcase evac pump.

Got an electric one coming from a volvo for the brakes and n75.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
What you need to do then is use the ALH vac pump only for turbos, make a small sump beow turbos and have vac pump suck out oil and air. I made similar setup for a friend of me with a T3 TDI, he also has vnt17 mounted pretty low and we made a small sump just below turbo and have the vac pump suck out oil and air. I ported the pump quite a bit so it has little/no internal compression going on to make sure it stays happy with oil.

new Subarus are the same, they have turbo mounted really low in front of the engine and have a small cam driven pump to suck oil back up.

N75 and brakes are also with an elec pump off a TSI

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
I doubt the scavenge pump in the Subaru can take the turbo's sump/ bearing housing to negative pressure. It's tiny, and the tubing to and from it is small too.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Sure thats why I say only do it for the turbos alone.. Negative pressure in sump is nice to have but unless you need the last 2-3 hp from the engine fully useless

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
What you need to do then is use the ALH vac pump only for turbos, make a small sump beow turbos and have vac pump suck out oil and air. I made similar setup for a friend of me with a T3 TDI, he also has vnt17 mounted pretty low and we made a small sump just below turbo and have the vac pump suck out oil and air. I ported the pump quite a bit so it has little/no internal compression going on to make sure it stays happy with oil.
That's an interesting idea. Only even needs to pull vacuum on the one turbo with the bad mounting angle.

Ordered all the stuff for the electric vacuum pump, depending on which shows up first I'll be either working on that, or the fuel system mods. Oh heck, gotta order an injection pump seal kit.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
This is nice. Did you keep it?
Nope just sold it yesterday to pay for crack.
What did I keep and/or not?

ETA: worked on a hand throttle for a few hours today, mounted on the shifter. Took it back off when it'd stick the throttle to the floor half the time. haha
Got an ultrasonic cleaner coming for the injector and pump work, once that's here it is gonna start happening.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
My take on it is, in the application of a turbo scavenge pump, you want it running whenever the engine oil pump is running. Engine oil pumps are not run by electric motors. A mechanical drive off the engine feels much more 'sound' to me.
Just for crankcase evac where failure doesn't hurt anything, or high maintenence drag race use, whatever works is good enough.

Got the hand throttle working, it is a subaru hood release cable hose clamped onto the shifter, yanking on the go pedal, hah
Ultrasonic cleaner should be here friday, I pick up a 20" camelback drill press on saturday, and hopefully start on the fuel injectors on sunday. Swapping the stock injectors back in to put the .360mm nozzles onto the single stage bodies (and to drive the car while working out the flow balance via a hydraulic pump and some 100CC graduated cylinders). Then maybe weekend after that fuel pump stuff may happen.

ETA, in reply to FUB above: he's got a real low mount turbo setup on his caravan, prolly has done tons of learning on scavenge pumps

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Okay!

Finally got the pump off the car, just took getting really pissed off at work and needing a distraction to get there. Stuck the 12mm chinese head in with new bosch 1 467 010 410 springs, supposedly they're "the ****" and all others are not as good or something. Just didn't want to reuse the 10mm ones with 150k miles on them, and surely wasn't using the chinese springs.
KF setting was done by eye, as all three spring sets were wildly different in wire diameter, free length, and number of turns (oddly enough the chinese ones were the beefiest), so I used the thicker shims that came with the chinese springs and gonna hope for the best. It seems to clack over well enough.
K setting was 4.1mm, with the de110 camplate of 3.1mm lift, a little excessive, but I figure better more clearance than not enough (and I don't have extra shims) Fun observation, the end plate had an imprint of the 10mm rotor. I had stabbed it in second at 70mph once, and that's likely what did it, haha.

I still haven't taken the top cover off the pump. Last time just going to the pp764s I was able to make changes to pump voltage map and it did fine, figure why change hardware when software changes are good enough.
How likely is it that I will be having a runaway if I toss it in there as is? The fuel shutoff solenoid should save me even if it does run away, and the pump voltage map goes to all zeros above whatever RPM, so it will move the QA as far as it can to try and stop a runaway.

ETA: http://vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php/topic,6427.msg133113.html#msg133113
for the k and kf settings that I was talking about

ETA 06-23-16, 10:27 PM:
Got the pump back in, and the Tbelt mostly done up, just gotta figure out how I got it tight last time. Might have made a spanner for it and then lost it. Oh well, should have the old tensioner laying about to make a new one off of. Heck, just got the idea in my head for an adjustable face pin spanner with a screw for the hinge pin so it can be locked down. Use needle bearings for the pins to get some nice hard metal... Hah, probably just bumblefab some junk together just good enough to work, to be promptly lost.

Bets on a runaway? Backed off the timing a whole crapload, was running 5 degrees of static advance, it's probably 10 degrees ATDC at the moment.
Still no answers on if I should be taking the top cover off and doing this hammer mod thing.

Last edited:

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
I distract myself from an otherwise rather empty life by tinkering with machines.
Hah sounds awful when you just out with it, huh?
just reading through this thread, golden quote right here!

ketchup

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat
[
Still no answers on if I should be taking the top cover off and doing this hammer mod thing.
You haven't hammered before? You may have missed out on a little extra fuel. Once running definitely hammer. You probably know what you got to do but I'll tell you what has always worked for me anyway.

I get the engine to temp then with it running hammer untill the revs hang when revved. Then I knock the IQ back up 1.0-2.0 untill engine revs nicely again. If/when you get light load judder shudder you can drop the low IQ volts in the map.

Though this method will ensure max fuel, the only hang up is that max fuel could be at 3v-4v-5v who knows? What I think would be better is if there were a way to correctly align max volts ~5v with max possible fuel.

I may have not got this entirety correct but it does seem a good idea. If you find out a way to do this please let it be know.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
but if you're bumping the top cover over to raise iq for smooth idle after a larger pump and injectors, you're also decreasing the fueling on the top end. By changing the map to get it idling right you maintain your top end QA travel.

I seem to remember someone on here having a couple figures to remap and hammer to, something like "so it idles at x.xmg/str and x.xx volts at the QA" but I can't for the life of me find it in the hammer mod threads I'm getting with google

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Adjust Adaption to "decrease" fueling and then hammer it back to the same IQ will dramatically help low end fueling. Well, dramatic is based on the size of your holes.

ketchup

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat
That's what I mean. I would physically knock the IQ/volts down untill the revs hang then gently work the IQ/volts back up untill it just starts to rev nicely again. This will give you max possible fuel, only trouble is it could be at 3volts.

Didn't Robnitro have a method of hammering untill volts matched IQ in the pump volts map. Could this be what you're thinking of?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Didn't Robnitro have a method of hammering untill volts matched IQ in the pump volts map. Could this be what you're thinking of?
I'm changing the pump voltage map directly.

Well, gonna rig up a funnel to prime the pump.