"TDI Protection Package" - ???

rmeyer23

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I have strarted the process of purchasing a new Passat TDI SEL. More to come later.

Has anyone heard that if you order a TDI SEL today it automatically comes with the "TDI Protection Package" (Inv $429/List) and this now raised the list price of the car?!

What is actually going on here?

Ron M

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I believe that the "protection package" is basically floor mats and an additional spray of undercoat on the bottom of the car. All new cars have sufficient undercoating out of the factory. At $429 this basically amounts to about $375 extra profit for the dealer. If this is required by your dealer, find another dealer. You can buy better mats from WeatherTech and you do not need the additional undercoat. This "protection package" should be optional. Your car should have left the factory with all of the protection necessary. If you live in a wet or snowy climate, buy good mats. VW's "monster mats" do not last very long (mine had holes worn through them at my heels in less than two years (under 30k miles).

Have Fun!

Don

rmeyer23

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I did some digging.

It looks like:
- Rubber Mats
- Trunk Liner
- Lip Spoiler (I will refrain from ranting on how much I dislike "lip spoilers:!)

Aren't these all dealer installed options?

Ron M

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
- Lip Spoiler (I will refrain from ranting on how much I dislike "lip spoilers:!)
A well designed front air dam can actually improve mileage by controlling the air flow under the car. However most "lip spoilers" are more for looks rather than aerodynamics. The problem with most of them is that the usually hang down lower than the stock bumper cover and they tend to get damaged by road debris, snow and ice.

I used to live in SW Ohio, and (many years ago) I had an '84 Honda Prelude with a nice aftermarket front air dam. It improved my mileage by 2-3 mpgs, but it also made a great snow plow in the winter. Going down I-71 in the mornings it would send snow flying over the roof of my car. This killed it within a few years.

Aren't these all dealer installed options?
Yes, they are (as stated above - additional dealer profit)

Have Fun!

Don

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
The lip spoiler on the 2012 Passat is the one they stick on the trunk, not the nose. The trunk mat is the same as a gorilla mat.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The lip spoiler on the 2012 Passat is the one they stick on the trunk, not the nose. The trunk mat is the same as a gorilla mat.
How does that qualify as "protection"? It's all for looks, not protection. I do not understand.

Have Fun!

Don

Kchorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I don't know guys but I love my TDI SEL with all the original monster mats, gorilla gear and the lid the spoiler makes the car looks much better..

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
I don't know guys but I love my TDI SEL with all the original monster mats, gorilla gear and the lid the spoiler makes the car looks much better..

Check back in after you've had the VW monster mats for a few months. Again, very common they wear out pretty quick. You're better off savinf the money and getting WeatherTech mats.

Someone really needs to create a "New to VW; Here the basics" thread.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Can someone post of pic of an installed rear lid/lip spoiler?
I agree the back end is pretty blah...

NorthernMage

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 6MT, Platinum Grey
Rmeyer, this is a dealer add on and is installed at the dealership, more padding and not required by VW. I was offered this as an option (Diamondkote paint sealant, fabric protection and undercoating) probably about $75 worth of products so it was a good profit for the dealer. Turned it all down and went to a detailer for paint sealant (LustreGlaze), will buy the Scotchguard from Wallie World and pass on the undercoating.
Have you considered buying your new car through Costco, or an honest online dealer, I hear there are some out there. My dealer did manage to squeeze me for Nitrogen in the tires and another package but since the car had already been done it was hard to say no. The monster mats are $99 and the trunk liner $108 if you want them separately.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Check back in after you've had the VW monster mats for a few months. Again, very common they wear out pretty quick.
Could not disagree more. I have 180K on my monster mats. Yes, the rubber has worn, but a fraction of what I would expect. Here's why I love those mats:
1) perfectly fit to the base of the accelerator pedal and left foot rest
2) because of #1 they catch all the water, snow, mud dirt, sand, salt, etc.
3) channel crap in #2 from shoes
4) look almost new after a few minute bath in warm soapy water and a scrub brush
5) After rubbing-in some Black Magic wheel dressing, they shine like new again and what little wear exists is hidden. Same is true of my '97 Suburban.
Do rubber mats look better than cloth? No, but over time do. I'll take a couple pictures when time permits.

rmeyer23

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Rmeyer, this is a dealer add on and is installed at the dealership, more padding and not required by VW. I was offered this as an option (Diamondkote paint sealant, fabric protection and undercoating) probably about $75 worth of products so it was a good profit for the dealer. Turned it all down and went to a detailer for paint sealant (LustreGlaze), will buy the Scotchguard from Wallie World and pass on the undercoating.
Have you considered buying your new car through Costco, or an honest online dealer, I hear there are some out there. My dealer did manage to squeeze me for Nitrogen in the tires and another package but since the car had already been done it was hard to say no. The monster mats are $99 and the trunk liner $108 if you want them separately.
I am not a Costco member. Does anyone know the Costco price? I know the invoice and the MSRP.

RM

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
Could not disagree more. I have 180K on my monster mats. Yes, the rubber has worn, but a fraction of what I would expect. Here's why I love those mats:
1) perfectly fit to the base of the accelerator pedal and left foot rest
2) because of #1 they catch all the water, snow, mud dirt, sand, salt, etc.
3) channel crap in #2 from shoes
4) look almost new after a few minute bath in warm soapy water and a scrub brush
5) After rubbing-in some Black Magic wheel dressing, they shine like new again and what little wear exists is hidden. Same is true of my '97 Suburban.
Do rubber mats look better than cloth? No, but over time do. I'll take a couple pictures when time permits.
Consider yourself as hitting the VW mat lotto. The VW monster mats are junk theme has been beaten to death.

Just a quick search: and there's plenty more, it seemed to come up once a month in the A5 thread
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=315344&highlight=Monster+mats
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=269608&highlight=Monster+mats
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=241766&highlight=Monster+mats
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=150655&highlight=Monster+mats
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=171210&highlight=Monster+mats

Kchorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I am not new to VW. i have owned 6 vw's and I have been using monster mats for years in all of them.. I find them nice, clean look, they fit perfect, look great, than Weather tech. Weather Tech might be a better brand but they look bad, big, done match with VW interiors color, and look.. so I prefer the monster mat way much and I like to keep my VW as original as possible with the a nice and clean look. The same with the spoiler..it looks great on the new Passat and makes it look a little bit more sporty then its formal look.
So I don't care that they don't last 5 years.. any way I just keep my VW cars for 4 years and I will keep getting a new VW every 4 years until VW keep making great cars..
so don't count and cry for pennies...

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Couldn't find that one, but google produced one. It is somewhat subtle, but enough to break up the monotony of the rear end and have no effect on mpg, IMHO.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
The lip spoiler on a MK5 Jetta looks good. Not impressed with it on a Passat... looks thicker and hangs over the edge a little much. The Jetta one looks more natural... Passat one can be mistaken for a Walmart special. Sort of like the Audi A6 rear, which looks perfect without a spoiler.

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
It doesn't look like it should cost a vast amount of money, but it doesnt look bad, either.

Can you see it in the rearview mirror without craning your neck?

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
The spoiler looks nice. Does anyone have a part number? Do they come painted?
Who is the dealer that is offering TDI members 20% parts discount?
thanks