TDD: How the Passat TDI is Manufactured (60 Exclusive Photos taken in the Factory)

MarcusW

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf BlueMotion
Photos are typically forbidden on factory tours but the Diese[COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]l[/COLOR][/COLOR] Driver took (apparently with permission) dozens of pictures at the new Volkswagen Plant in Chattanooga which produces the 2012 VW Passat TDI. Make sure you look at the slide shows on page 2 for almost 60 photos showing Passat production step-by-step.

It’s been almost a quarter century since Volkswagen stopped making cars in the U.S. http://www.thedieseldriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/DSC_0622.jpgThe carmaker has never claimed more than 3% of the U.S. market, despite the iconic stature of its Beetle and Minibus models. But VW has big plans – and lots of capital – dedicated to capturing a bigger piece of the U.S.auto market. And the lynchpin of this strategy is its brand-new manufacturing plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
“Das Auto is finally back in the States,” said VW Chief Executive Martin Winterkorn at the plant’s opening ceremony in late May, which was attended by members of local, state, and federal governments as well as top VW officials. “VW has everything it takes to win the hearts and minds of Americans. Let’s go for it.”

Joining the plant in Puebla, Mexico as the only other North American VW production facility, the $1 billion Chattanooga plant, housed in a 2 million-square-foot former munitions factory, has the capacity to produce 150,000 vehicles per year.

Currently, the factory is geared to exclusively produce the 2012 Passat sedan in diesel- and gasoline-powered versions. http://www.thedieseldriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/DSC_0593.jpgThe Passat has been completely redesigned for the American market and base-priced approximately $7,000 less than the model it’s replacing. VW officials have said that a decision about other models to be produced there will come within the next year.
<SNIP>

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
There are videos on Youtube that show Passats being made, as well as presentations by VW staff.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Don't forget to clay bar your new Passat. Ye be warned:
"Most car plants distribute their vehicles on trucks, but Chattanooga plant uses rail to cut down on environmental costs, loading 550-600 cars out of the facility a day. The Chattanooga train drops off at 16 points across the USA, three in Canada, and one in Mexico. 85% of the vehicles leave Chattanooga by rail."

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
when someone gets a standrd shift one,please post.I'm considering

sayn3ver

TDI
none
Preface: I apologize but this response is a little long winded and probably inaccurate.

I always find it funny what automakers do. Instead of sticking to what a company knows and progressing/perfecting they always want to try an reinvent themselves into a completely different market.

Look at Subaru. Subaru worked hard during the 1980's making super cheap but super reliable cars. These things would still be running while the body was rusting apart. Bullet proof little things.

During the 1990's, they built on a slightly updated and more sophisticated platform (lets be real, 1980's subarus were like legos, and the 90's were all like legos as well...different models but lots of interchangeable parts).

However, around 2004 they decided to start taking their car line slightly more upscale. Since then it's like they lost what made them, well, them. They ditched the WRC which was the one thing that gave them legitimate bragging rights. Besides Mitsubishi in the US, no other car company could say the vehicle you drive on the street is race proven. None of this "inspired" crap.

Now here is Volkswagen trying to compete in the economy market. Volkswagen to me always had a nicer fit and finish. It was always more refined/euro. I am only 25 so I apologize for being a bit ignorant. They aren't "luxury" per say, but a tighter more evolved version of a daily driver.

I just don't get the person in the sales/marketing/development team who thought it would be good to take something you are known for (high quality daily drivers, fit and finish, material choices etc) and chuck it out the window. I'd rather pay the extra $7000, you know? If I wanted budget I would look else where.

I suppose the above is in response to the following question: How do they move production to the USA and then cut $7000 from the final sticker price?

Last edited:

TheLongshot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon '03 Reflex Silver
However, around 2004 they decided to start taking their car line slightly more upscale. Since then it's like they lost what made them, well, them. They ditched the WRC which was the one thing that gave them legitimate bragging rights. Besides Mitsubishi in the US, no other car company could say the vehicle you drive on the street is race proven. None of this "inspired" crap.
It started much earlier, with the rise of the Outback and the Forester. That being said, the WRX is still a staple of the brand and is still used in rally races.

Now here is Volkswagen trying to compete in the economy market. Volkswagen to me always had a nicer fit and finish. It was always more refined/euro. I am only 25 so I apologize for being a bit ignorant. They aren't "luxury" per say, but a tighter more evolved version of a daily driver.

I just don't get the person in the sales/marketing/development team who thought it would be good to take something you are known for (high quality daily drivers, fit and finish, material choices etc) and chuck it out the window. I'd rather pay the extra $7000, you know? If I wanted budget I would look else where.
I don't see it as them competing in the economy market. They are trying to be competitive in the US period. While you may want to pay the extra $7k, many people aren't, and VW doesn't have the upscale branding to support it.

For many, VW has been defined as German engineering on a budget. Problem is, people on the budget don't want to pay for the costly repairs that come with German engineering. The rise of Japan and Korea in the US and the reliability of said cars has made it difficult for VW to compete in the US. Many other low-end European brands have left the US market.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Also, if you look back at VW's roots, they were the people's car (volks wagen). They were know for decades as cheap reliable (mostly) transportation. If you wanted luxury, you bought an Audi. Much the same relationship as plymouth, dodge, chrysler or chevy, pontiac, buick, cadillac. With the increased labor rates, the exchange rates, and shipping rates, VW was no longer competitive as basic transportation. If you want to grow to 800,000 vehicles per year in the North American market, you have to make changes to decrease costs and any or all of those changes will make someone unhappy. The car manufacturers also have to figure out how to cover the costs associated with all of the environmental and safety crap they are required to put into every car today.

Cjbunltd

TDI
'02 Jetta GLS, '10 Jetta Sedan
Let's face it...

...Volkswagen has abandoned it's core customer base to chase the dream of being the biggest car maker in the world. If the new Jetta and Passsat are indications of how they plan to go about achieving that dream, they have a long way to go. The reason I have driven Volkswagens for over 20 years is because I like the cars and especially liked the fact that I wasn't driving what everyone else was driving. I was willing to put up with a few quirks, higher maintenance costs, and higher purchase price to drive a German engineered sedan and not some cookie cutter Asian offering. Now that Volkswagen wants to be like everyone else I find very little appealing about them. Yes, I like the TDI but what's the point of having an exciting engine placed in a ho-hum chassis? I consider myself a driver and I remember when that was something that used to be important to Volkswagen (remember the slogan "Drivers Wanted"?). Now with their de-contented, bloated proportioned offerings their slogan should be "big, fat, stupid, cheapskates wanted.". Unless something dramatic happens, my next car will likely not be a new Volkswagen. I may look for a nice used 2010. I guess there is always the Audi A3 TDI.

Green Waters

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf
Test drove a 2012 diesel passat with dsg today in Appleton WI for a special breast cancer research fundraising event. I liked the ride a lot compared to other VWs I have owned in the past. I also test drove a BMW 328i today and thought the ride and pick-up was much better on the diesel passat than on the beamer!

Funduro

TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG
CC fills "luxury" void by the down scaled Passat

I have never owned a Passat but did see them as having higher quality(luxury) parts and finish. The newer lower priced Jetta and Passat is reality at play. VW saw the new norm and moved the product line to meet it. In other words prices will be lower because that's what will sell in greater numbers. Yes the drop in "quality" material seen and not seen will lose some sales, but VW made the multi billion dollar decision and are not looking back. CC is the new "Passat" in the lineup. BTW I'm glad my new JSW has the "better" quality interior materials, yes I did read about the changes and touched the differences.

Last edited:

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I have never owned a Passat but did see them as having higher quality(luxury) parts and finish. The newer lower priced Jetta and Passat is reality at play. VW saw the new norm and moved the product line to meet it. In other words prices will be lower because that's what will sell in greater numbers. Yes the drop in "quality" material seen and not seen will lose some sales, but VW made the multi billion dollar decision and are not looking back. CC is the new "Passat" in the lineup. BTW I'm glad my new JSW has the "better" quality interior materials, yes I did read about the changes and touched the differences.
Agree with all you say, but you can't buy the CC in North America with a diesel engine. Otherwise I would have already had one :D

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
We can always dream! Put the same engine in the cc that they are using in the touareg.

Maverick1

TDI
None yet
I consider myself a driver and I remember when that was something that used to be important to Volkswagen (remember the slogan "Drivers Wanted"?). Now with their de-contented, bloated proportioned offerings their slogan should be "big, fat, stupid, cheapskates wanted.". Unless something dramatic happens, my next car will likely not be a new Volkswagen. I may look for a nice used 2010. I guess there is always the Audi A3 TDI.
I assume that if you consider yourself a "driver" then you no doubt drive a manual transmission and not a sissy automatic, as "real drivers" only drive manuals.
If this is the case then you can't get an Audi A3 TDI and be a real driver because they don't offer the Audi in a manual transmission.
VW has a tendency to do many strange things, like not offer the Audi A3 TDI in a manual transmission for the US, not offer the Golf TDI with a leather interior. Makes no sense to me.

s4phillips

Veteran Member
Live in d/FW, TX. Transplanted from the Pacific
TDI
2002 Beetle, 2005 Passat Variant-DOA blunt force trama, 2014 Beetle-went home
Snip...

I don't see it as them competing in the economy market. They are trying to be competitive in the US period. While you may want to pay the extra $7k, many people aren't, and VW doesn't have the upscale branding to support it. Exactly!

For many, VW has been defined as German engineering on a budget. Problem is, people on the budget don't want to pay for the costly repairs that come with German engineering. The rise of Japan and Korea in the US and the reliability of said cars has made it difficult for VW to compete in the US. Many other low-end European brands have left the US market.
Like most businesses, VW is just trying to find their way and deliver a product that fits in the 'new normal' of today's economy and consumer. The day of "undisciplined pursuit of more*" by the consumer is in the past. All manufactures, brands and retailers are trying to fill the consumers new need for value. However, the not always well defined word of value doesn't just mean lower/lowest price in today's world - it includes factory warranty, reliability, durability, cost of ownership, after-service, confidence, etc. What we do know is business as usual doesn't work any longer. Agreed, VW is just trying to be competitive in this marketplace. Time will tell if the new Jetta, Passat, VWoA, and dealers can start delivering a good or great value the North American public is willing to start purchasing. I am thinking the new cars are a good start, not sure about everything else needed to deliver on value.
*term from Jim Collins, How the Mighty Fall

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I assume that if you consider yourself a "driver" then you no doubt drive a manual transmission and not a sissy automatic, as "real drivers" only drive manuals.
If this is the case then you can't get an Audi A3 TDI and be a real driver because they don't offer the Audi in a manual transmission.
VW has a tendency to do many strange things, like not offer the Audi A3 TDI in a manual transmission for the US, not offer the Golf TDI with a leather interior. Makes no sense to me.

:eek:The most popular transmissions in class 8 OTR trucks are at least partly automated.... and those trucks are driven by 'real drivers'.

Heh.

Bill

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
But it's DSG only ;)
I'm OK with that. Having designed the hydraulic oil pump for a company bidding to supply the DL501 (different transmission, I know), I know how the DSG works more than most. And although I consider myself a "real driver" and I do prefer manual transmissions, I'm not an ideologue for them. :rolleyes: Methinks Maverick1 is a troll whose IP address traces to Ontario and not SoCal.

Last edited:

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I think Funduro is spot on. VWoA just spent $1B in Chattanooga and need a strategy to pay the bills. Currently our economy is not that of the 60's and 90's, so unless we're prepared to pony-up for true luxury and/or sport nameplates, get used to belt-tightened cars similar to the 70's and 80's. Frankly you have to give VWoA credit for making this investment now. I firmly believe a strong economy will usher in the excess we're accustomed to, and the new plant sets the groundwork.

Some of us are willing to spend a little more for bells and whistles, and the Passat TDI is just that for Jetta owners -- which is why I'm looking at one.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think Funduro is spot on. VWoA just spent $1B in Chattanooga and need a strategy to pay the bills. Currently our economy is not that of the 60's and 90's, so unless we're prepared to pony-up for true luxury and/or sport nameplates, get used to belt-tightened cars similar to the 70's and 80's. Frankly you have to give VWoA credit for making this investment now. I firmly believe a strong economy will usher in the excess we're accustomed to, and the new plant sets the groundwork.

Some of us are willing to spend a little more for bells and whistles, and the Passat TDI is just that for Jetta owners -- which is why I'm looking at one.
Plans were in works before the economy went sour. I think the plant construction had already started too. It's hard to stop something this large once the first earthmover gets going.

CryoTech

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 tdi sportwagen
I agree with much of what is said here.

Ive driven alot of cars. Mostly BMW's or amercian muscle. I sold VW's in 2009 when I was displaced for a short time out of my field of profession.

Ive heard it first hand from a man named "Andre" who is VW's rep for the southeast region and I quote - "Its called decontenting. Most people won't notice. Its about more profit, not what people want." This was in response to my query about why the nice RCD-510 was removed from the Jetta "SE" and replaced by a trim model with the bare bones ugly POS in the Jetta S. Really? people wont notice? Is that why dealers were fighting over the last Jetta SE's? Is that why people were asking "What happened to the nice touchscreen radio I saw in here last time?" Fools the lot.

My TDI sportwagen is my first VW other than a borrowed rabbit diesel from high school. I like the car. I never cared for the front end on the MKV jetta but the rear end was OK when you added the deck spoiler. The interior wasnt bad for the price - even though I personally despise V-Tex.

The MKVI Jetta however, IMO is junk compared to the MKV. Its a camry. While the TDI may have IRS, the cheap quality materials remain.

My Sportwagen unfortunately wont last forever. In the form it is now, It's jsut about perfect. I paid 26K, (I wouldnt have given 28.5K for this car if it was the last one on earth) and after installing a proper light switch and HIDs and fogs Im satisfied. Id rather have cloth or leather seats, but the V-tex is liveable.

The point is, even if I have a wonderful experience with this car, should the next generation sportwagen be decontented any further than what I am driving now, I will pass. Its the perfect car for me. Great mileage for my 27 mile one way commute and the many may road trips I take to NHL games and reenactments. Enough room to haul my reenactment gear, for home projects, and to transport the resuce pitbulls I work with, and the ones I keep. A big sky open roof for that luxury car feel. Bluetooth and a touch screen radio with decent (not great - but liveable) sound. Heated seats for cold winter days. Sufficent confident handling and ride, IRS(even thru the wagon waddle) and enough mass to be safe. And nice quality materials that give the feel of driving a well built non luxury car.

Take ANY of these away and I will walk on my next car purchase.

My last two cars were BMW e90 3 series. a 330i and a 335i. I needed more room and better mileage, I desired a lower payment and wanted to keep the feel of having at least a semi-nice car. The sportwagen, with a few tweaks of my own, fit that bill.

Taking features and quality away makes VW more more than a toyota or honda with a ****ty dealer network and high maintenace / repair costs.