First Test Drive Article - the 2012 VW Passat TDI

MarcusW

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf BlueMotion
2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI – Review and First Drive/Road Test

The 2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI will be arriving at VW dealerships soon and we had an opportunity to pick up the car at the factory in Chattanooga, Tennessee, and drive it to Nashville.
http://www.thedieseldriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/DSC_0849.jpg
The Passat 2.0L TDI is available in three flavors. The basic TDI comes well-equipped with 17” alloy wheels, heated front seats, a touchscreen radio, and a six-speed manual transmission, all for $25,995. You can add a sunroof and a DSG (Direct-Shift Gearbox or Direkt-Schalt-Getriebe) as options (separately or as a package) or you can get both plus 18” alloy wheels, navigation, Volkswagen’s Mobile Device Interface (MDI), fog lights, and exterior chrome accents all in one package.

The top-of-the-line Passat 2.0L TDI SEL, retailing for $32,195, adds leather sports seats, keyless access and start, remote start, an upgraded navigation system, driver seat memory, a wood grain interior, 8-way power passenger seat, interior chrome accents, and a Fender audio system.

Earlier this week, I drove the TDI from the factory in Chattanooga to Nashville, a 173 mile (278 km) drive that took a little less than four hours with a stop in Lynchburg to sample some Jack Daniels ice cream and brownies.
Article continues here.

DSL HED

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta wagon DSG
Interesting article, but I wonder about the author when he references the engine as a "V-6 turbodiesel". I don't understand how he could make an error like that. Not a horrible looking car. Perhaps a wagon option will show up eventually.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Interesting article, but I wonder about the author when he references the engine as a "V-6 turbodiesel". I don't understand how he could make an error like that.
Looks like they already edited it...although it does make you wonder
I think the car is certainly promising based on this first drive; should sell well. Wagon version, please?

MarcusW

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf BlueMotion
I have friends who work for magazines and errors like this creep in all the time. It could have been the author or it could have been the copy-editor (perhaps imagining that a four-cylinder engine was just too small for the Passat).

Nonetheless, I read the magazine regularly and if this is the worst mistake we see, I think it should not matter that much. :) Esp. since it looks like it was fixed early on.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Or maybe the tester was so impressed by the grunt on the TDI he thought he was in a V6? ;)

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I sure hope wagon, that UVoA wagon is reading wagon this thread wagon and sees that there is a desire wagon, for a WAGON! (Not so subtle I know) :D

cthomas286

TDI
None yet
I have made that drive from Chattanooga to Nashville. It is mostly up and through the mountains so if he was able to get 40 mpg he would probably get 60 coming back.

pakhribas

TDI
Jetta, 2002, Black
The VW of America site now has 'build your own' Passat....! The only downside is that there is not leather interior available in the tdi 6/manual...it's only available with the DSG option.

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
Interesting article, but I wonder about the author when he references the engine as a "V-6 turbodiesel". I don't understand how he could make an error like that. Not a horrible looking car. Perhaps a wagon option will show up eventually.
Say what??? I copied and pasted the following from his article: The inline-four turbo diesel is the same found in other VW TDI models and it was smooth and responsive.http://www.thedieseldriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/DSC_0813.jpg

Bugdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI 6M
While it certainly appears to have the goods driving wise, the styling leaves me cold - Forhondayota? Haven't seen it in the flesh however.

The description of the steering reminds me of my old 2008 Passat wagon, which had a very loose and light feel that was a huge consideration towards our trading it in.

shipo

TDI
Shopping for a Golf TDI
The VW of America site now has 'build your own' Passat....! The only downside is that there is not leather interior available in the tdi 6/manual...it's only available with the DSG option.
Well that blows; the only Passat I'd be interested in is a full-zoot TDI version with three pedals under the dash. :mad:

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
2012 Volkswagen Passat

:)

nice car

http://www.autos.ca/?utm_source=goo...autos_dot_ca&gclid=CNSs9faGs6kCFQkFbAod4G8cLA

For my money, I’d go with the diesel, which completely transforms the Passat driving experience. It has some real punch when you press on the accelerator, noticeably waking up the car. It, too, is quiet and smooth, and additionally the Passat TDI returned a most impressive 4.5 L/100 km at 115 km/h on the highway.

that's better fuel economy than a hybrid without all of the complexity of batteries etc

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Well that blows; the only Passat I'd be interested in is a full-zoot TDI version with three pedals under the dash. :mad:
What's missing? Sunroof & nav? I can't see why vw skipped the sunroof w/ a manual, makes little sense. Nav? Not even certain in this day & age why it's still an option at all - the smartphone has pretty much killed off the GPS market.

Given the faster shifting & equal mpg of the DSG I guess they just figure those who want a manual are cheap bastages who aren't interested in options :D

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I was in central and western Canada last week and Nissan is advertising that they have the only non-gasoline car available in Canada. Wonder how they would explain the sales comparison of this new non-gasoline passat to their non-gasoline leaf? I am guessing that the passat will probably sell about 10x the volume of the leaf.

tscottt

TDI
sold: 1998 NB TDI 5-spd
I was in central and western Canada last week and Nissan is advertising that they have the only non-gasoline car available in Canada. Wonder how they would explain the sales comparison of this new non-gasoline passat to their non-gasoline leaf? I am guessing that the passat will probably sell about 10x the volume of the leaf.
Or the currently sold Jetta and Golf TDI. The claims people are willing to make while ignoring fact.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
snooze.....buy a GOLF, less money, less bulk, easier to fly around, park and get out of in the garage, just as luxurious and tight inside....as good on mileage and way sportier.....and did I say less money? loaded Golf in canada 28-29K ...loade Passat will be 34 maybe? +13% extra tax meh.......and here is the DEALBREAKER....ya cant buy a loaded STICK in NA.....only slushbox DSG that costs another thousand or so every 100,000 miles to maintain and another 1500 bucks to buy at least and an absolute FORTUNE if it calves out of warranty. Big PAPA snoozer car for wide of hip americans and Canucks who rarely travel with 4 people and want the 'bigger car"...cause they can drive it to florida more comfortably to the trailer park.

toddg66

TDI
Jetta, 2000, white
Big PAPA snoozer car for wide of hip americans and Canucks who rarely travel with 4 people and want the 'bigger car"...cause they can drive it to florida more comfortably to the trailer park.
Ouch! Harsh words for those of us interested in the new Passat. I don't feel as though I belong to the quoted deomgraphic but I am still considering one.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
My brother really wants one, but I bet he also REALLY wants a sunroof. That could be a deal breaker... :mad: Because he REALLY wants a 6-speed manual (in a big car). :)

birkie

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 jetta wagon, red
Nice. Looks like a very compelling alternative to the Jetta sedan. More refined, better mpg, retains a manual transmission this time, interior isn't half bad vs the European version (though very different). If only they had a wagon, though!

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
Better mpg? Looks to me like it has the same EPA rating. The no sunroof with manual trans issue is bizarre. I just don't understand VW's thinking here. Is the Passat's interior volume that much greater than the Jetta?

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Aren't Canadian mpg ratings always higher than EPA scores? 4.5L/100km is the highway average for the Passat TDI (in Canada) according to the article. Looks like the writer was getting the fuel economy he was supposed to.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
still snoozing here....got a call into my father in law this AM. He is 84 yrs old and looks good for the targetmarket for this car.....Buick is trying to sell him a new LUCERNE. Told him that his SHIP is arriving at the VW store in the Fall and it will get him better mileage and more safety and that it has a huge backseat to take their elderly friends to senior outdoor bowling on sundays.
Warned him he will spent a thousand bucks in the first 4 years servicing his automatic transmission though....you know what his reply was?? I never serviced any transmission for any GM I have ever owned and I have owned over 20 of them. Oh those new granpa and grandma customers VW is trying to get in the VW world are gonna flip at the service mgr when Mr Service advisor tells them that....cause ya know the Sales dept WONT.

shipo

TDI
Shopping for a Golf TDI
What's missing? Sunroof & nav? I can't see why vw skipped the sunroof w/ a manual, makes little sense. Nav? Not even certain in this day & age why it's still an option at all - the smartphone has pretty much killed off the GPS market.

Given the faster shifting & equal mpg of the DSG I guess they just figure those who want a manual are cheap bastages who aren't interested in options :D
Can the DSG shift faster and return similar fuel economy as a true manual transmission? Yes. How does the DSG fair when compared to a true manual in the "Fun" department? Complete and utter failure.

bikegeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
I don't want to buy a loaded anything, they break and malfunction, you are left with a nice car with a bunch of defective electronics and a engine that is still going fine....