2012 Passat TDI 2.0 Did they fix the problem??

Tracab

TDI
Currently Without. :(
I was doing some searching and cannot find the answer to my question. I am wondering if in the newer Jetta's and the 2012 Passat TDI 2.0s if they finally changed out the oil pump chain for a gear driven system. I had a '05 Passat with the PD motor and I sold before the chain went out on it (167000 miles). Good thing the buyer bought the extended warranty!! Any information would be great. I am planning on ordering my 2012 Passat TDI Manual this week and just wanted to check. Thanks.

Last edited:

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
Pretty sure the new Passat has the same engine as the Jetta, with no balancer shaft.

VWdoc

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The 2.0 TDI common rail engine does indeed have dual shaft balance shaft module assembly. The 3.0 V6 TDI has a single balance shaft driven by chain in combination with the oil pump.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They started using gears in 2006. Then the retrofit to gears for cars built before that were cursed with a chain happened in 2008.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Speculation about the HPFP is just that: pure speculation. The 2012 Passat TDI is not yet on dealer lots let alone customers' driveways. If anyone definitively knew the answer to the question within the VW corporate heirarchy, they will not be telling the public unless subpoenaed to testify before NHTSA.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
All looked the same under the hood as the Jetta/Golf, in terms of the engine. But looking at the HPFP from the outside does not really mean anything.

Personally, I think my B5 is a superior vehicle, albeit a little smaller inside. Time will tell, though.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
I've read here that the intercooler design may be different from that of the MKVI Golf/Jetta TDIs -- probably like the replacement kit available for those.

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
Looking at an under hood pic in another thread in this section, the fuel filter has only three hoses on it. This basically confirms that there is no Aux Fuel Pump. Has anyone been under the hood to confirm this?

Most likely this means they've increased delivery pressure from a more capable pump in the fuel tank. I wonder where the 'returns' go now. Looks like they dead end back at the filter housing.

If I were betting I'd say the pump return goes back to the tank in a line not visible in the picture, with only the HP rail bleed and nozzle returns routed to the filter housing.

Can anyone with hands on a MY 2012 TDI confirm this?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=309391

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I noticed that the oil filler is on the opposite end of the engine. Redesigned CCV system?