Best Canadian Source for Parts

Steve140

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 & 2011 Golf TDIs
Hello just wondering what the best place you guys like for ordering (new) VW parts from a Canadian source. Looking for a place with a good selection of stuff so I’m not ordering from several places to save on shipping.

I’m finding that ordering from the US isn’t the deal it once was. The stealership isn’t an option for MK4 parts anymore. :rolleyes:

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Rock Auto. Even though they are US based, their shipping to Canada is very reasonable and they collect all the fees up front, so no surprises when the package gets to your door.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I'd recommend trying to buy within Canada for when it comes to warranty or returns. You would have to ship back across the border ($$$$).

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Rock Auto. Even though they are US based, their shipping to Canada is very reasonable and they collect all the fees up front, so no surprises when the package gets to your door.
I absolutely love rockauto, but the only 2 problems with it is they essentially only offer the generic brands, so if your picky about buying the OE stuff from VW like TRW pads and zimmerman rotors, you're out of luck. The second is what the others have mentioned, if the part is wrong or you need to send it back, the shipping will negate any savings

That said i've ordered many parts off rockauto and it's my go to generally

Another good one is partsavatar, but again, mostly generic brands like acdelco and such

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
It depends on the part. Rock Auto does carry some OE stuff. Certain items i prefer OE, somethings I can live with aftermarket. If the part is cheap and easy to change myself, I will cheap out. If its expensive and difficult to change, I pay extra so that I don't have to do the job twice.

IMHO, brakes are super easy to do, so I typically go with a mid range quality product. Since I do a lot of highway driving, I don't find I need to change them often. Front bearings, a little harder on the difficulty scale, so I would go with higher end parts. Any critical engine component, never cheap out. A bad part can kill an engine. No way i'm going to cheap out on timing belt rollers, or tensioners, or water pumps, etc. Way to hard to change if it wears out prematurely, and high probability of damaging the engine if failure occurs.

I needed some parts for my work truck (brake rotors, calipers, & pads). Rock Auto was 1/4 the price of any canadian source. With shipping, even with the heavy weight, it was still 1/2 the price of any Canadian source. I did have to ship back the cores, but it wasn't that expensive.

Last edited:

macoombi

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI
I know it's not a Canadian source but you can't go with idparts. I used to order from them and ship to a UPS store on the other side of the border since it's only 40 minutes from me. But with the pre-paid duty (really just HST) it's pretty convenient to ship right to home. I've ordered a few things lately and they get here in less than a week so shipping to the UPS store isn't really required unless I'm in a super big hurry.

miningman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Cant beat Roseland in NS. !!!!!!!!!! Many people dont know that they have a significant distributorship in Calgary , so it doesnt matter where you live , delivery is usually less than 4 days. Prices a re very reasonable , no chinesium and free shipping at $400 order level.

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
Cant beat Roseland in NS. !!!!!!!!!! Many people dont know that they have a significant distributorship in Calgary , so it doesnt matter where you live , delivery is usually less than 4 days. Prices a re very reasonable , no chinesium and free shipping at $400 order level.
Agreed

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
Agreed, but I only ever picked up stuff from him, or he delivered it to my work personally on one occasion.

I am sure his shipping service is just as good as his customer service. (I even have him in my signature)

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
For the tri city area you can’t beat Import Auto Parts in Ayr ��
I'm going to give them a call... the guy I've been using for parts - price has been creeping up. I think I've been paying $75 for the last 5L jug of vw dpf rated diesel oil....

I want to measure my brake rotors before getting prices... I think they might still be in spec - wife's q7 needs new rear brake pads for sure....

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
For the tri city area you can’t beat Import Auto Parts in Ayr ��

Agreed. He will ship as well and the shipping isn't outrageous. I often find his prices are right in line with RockAuto +/- a couple bucks once shipping and duties are all taken into account.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Just for curiosities part.
When I was in China I saw thousands of "Chinese" built VW Audi products. I wonder where they get the parts from, duh?????