Jetta SportWagen TDI dpf and exhaust removal

Piranhafreak

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Here a dumb question but can I remove the dpf filter and all other exhaust components on jack stands is there enough room to pull the dpf down and out? In the Rawtek instructions it says to put the car up on a lift not sure if they are saying that because it has to be on a lift or because most people use a lift to do the job?

jason92300

TDI
98 Jetta TDI
Had mine on Jack stands. Still very tricky on getting the DPF through with out dropping sub frame, but can be done.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Piranhafreak

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I have the Rawtek instructions I was surprised it seems pretty involved. Disconnecting the axel dropping the subframe etc just to change out the exhaust system. Never worked on a Volkswagen before though.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The subframe/steering assembly is super easy to take out. I'm sure you could do it on jackstands, you'll just want a jack to lower it as it is somewhat heavy.

I can usually have an A5/A6 FWD subframe assembly out in under 20 minutes. May take a bit longer if one of the tie rod ends or sway bar links is frozen. But usually for me they are not.

Remove the lower steering shaft cover (2 flat screw type retainers), then remove the pinch bolt and slip the shaft up off the pinion. It only goes on one way, no need to mark it. Just make sure the steering wheel does not get rotated (secure it with a bungee cord if you like) so the steering angle sensor and clock spring do not get damaged.

Then, remove the air cleaner, remove the battery, and battery tray. Then remove the steering wire harness. One ground, one power at the fuse link box, then the data connector near the headlamp, fish it up and out of the tray and push it back down under the master cylinder area. It will come out with the rack.

Then working underneath, remove the outer tie rod end ball stud nuts and pop them loose from the carriers, remove the upper sway bar links (links will stay on the bar as you remove the assembly), remove the two roll mount fasteners from the transmission case, the six nuts securing the control arms to the ball joints (three on each side), remove the two fasteners securing the exhaust hanger to the subframe.

Then six big bolts and the whole thing drops right out. Easy peasy. Then you have all the room you need to deal with whatever you are doing.

Last edited:

Turbski

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Just did mine a couple weeks ago. It is much easier to drop the subframe. I didn't when I was installing my rawtek kit and I greatly regret it as it would have saved so much time.