1996 B4 passat TDI, connecticut

Svën Höek

TDI
1996 B4
HI guys, I'm a long long time vortex user and even longer vw owner.
I've got a tdi i picked up last year, put some work into, commuted with it for a bit and then moved on to another vehicle. I'd like to get rid of it while it's still summer so if any new owner sees fit, they might have time to add their own personal touches or fix a few easy things.

1996 TDI sedan, about 305k. $2300 OBO. seriously, best offer, I need to get rid of this car, OPEN TO TRADES. if trades are parts related, all i can use at this point are 5 lug or adaptable to 5x100 mk3
06606 connecticut.
brand new battery. 11/15
all recent work done 10/15 - 11/15
new front brake rotors and pads.
new control arm bushings ball joints, passenger tie rod, driver tie rod end.
new oil return line.
pressure pipe coupler, intake manifold coupler, oil cap gasket, valve cover gasket.
engine and bay recently degreased and cleaned.
has raceland coilovers.
mk3 front seats, mismatched mk3/b4 rear seats.
has yellowed fogs and hi beams. all lighting works.
no CEL
gas gauge doesn't always work. getting about 36-38mpg winter gas lately...
recently stripped the entire interior and cleaned everything. headliner is replaced.
rear power windows don't work, I have 2 complete doors to go with the sale.
misc B4 parts available at request. extra set of headlights, misc switches and dash bezel....
comes on 4x100 steelies. I have 2 good snow tires also on steelies.

needs rear brakes done
. bearings are fine so it's not an imperative immediate issue just has old/worn rotors and pads. passenger side rear caliper parking brake lever seems locked, may need replacement, parking cables need to be replaced.
has block heater
hood bra
mk3 dual tip 2.25 magnaflow custom fit exhaust
rear doors have bondo on the lower edges.. car comes with 2 rear doors if you want to replace...
new waterpump 1/16
2 snow tires on steelies will be in the trunk.
one of this car's previous owners rolled the front fenders poorly.
paint is not great, clear is peeling, decklid is a different color white.
theres no radio.

I have lots of B4 misc parts. I'll basically fill the trunk with random parts you can sort out/use/discard at your leisure. I've had a few passats but once this one is gone, I don't need any of the random B4 specific stuff anymore.

email me for a quicker reply.
VOLKSWOOKIEE@gmail.com

Last edited:

Svën Höek

TDI
1996 B4
no interest?
I'm not a TDI guy, much more of a VR6 vw owner.
help me out here guys, is the price too high? miles too high? undesired B4 body?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not sure, but what I'm hearing is that the B4s time has passed. Combination of old cars needed a lot of love and looming issues with parts availability are taking their toll. Sad, since I drove mine today and it's as pleasant a ride as ever.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Yep,when I wanted one last Oct/Nov after mine was totalled,one couldn't be found.After I bought that POS Matrix,they seemed to pop up here for sale. Most of ones on here now don't seem to have any interest,along w/ parts becoming obsolete and how few of them were sold in the states.....

Svën Höek

TDI
1996 B4
well, it's a negotiable price.
with all the recent listed work, the car could be good for parts or an engine swap. despite some very minor cosmetic annoyances, the car drives quite well for it's age. The ONLY time it left me stranded was on a freezing morning when I had forgotten to plug in the block heater the night before. several cranks and it killed the already old battery, which i replaced new rather than try to push that old battery through more cold weather even if it could've been recharged.