Tunes?

aaronacj

TDI
2011 Sportwagon
My wife has a 2011 TDI. i was wondering if there ways of putting a aftermarket tune on the ECU. Most factory tunes are general tunes and because of this they aren't as efficient as a location specific tune.

I'm asking because my car is a 2009 Subaru WRX and the factory tune is known to be garbage and the first thing anyone does to those cars is put an aftermarket tune which increases power and gas mileage. Stock i would get about 18 MPG average per a tank. With a down pipe and tune i get about 22-25 average MPG a tank. This is why i ask.

Thanks,
Aaron

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
look in the TDI power enhancements section. There are plusses and minusses to tunes on a new car. You have a lot of reading ahead of you.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
There are gains to be had with a tune, but they are still in their baby stages and require ECU removal and shipped.

I would personally wait a while until a tune is flashable through the obd port :)

aaronacj

TDI
2011 Sportwagon
I'm not going to send the ECU in so they can flash it at their house and charge me big $$$. I figured they had the TDI ECU on lock down.

The WRX ECU is cracked and for 200 bucks you can buy the cable and do it yourself. I was hoping there was something like that for the TDI i guess ill just have to be happy with what i have. Thanks for the quick replies!

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
You might want to dig a little deeper, I haven't gandered too far down the 2.0l tunes as I dont own a 2.0l TDI. There may be developements in the works :)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
My wife has a 2011 TDI. i was wondering if there ways of putting a aftermarket tune on the ECU.
There are over a half a dozen tuners with tunes for your wifes 2011 TDI. Malone Tuning, RocketChip, RevoTechnik, Unitronic, HPA, Neuspeed, and APR all offer tunes for this car. Prices range from about $400 to $600 depending on tuner and whether or not they are having a sale

There are gains to be had with a tune, but they are still in their baby stages and require ECU removal and shipped.
ECU will have to be removed, but shipping (and waiting for return) is not necessary if you have a tuner's dealer near you. Most of the tuners mentioned above have dealers all over the country. Any of these dealers ought to be able to pull your ECU, tune your car, put the ECU back in, and have you out the door and on your way in only an hour or two. It's really not that big of a deal anymore.

Have Fun!

Don

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Where in Delaware? Give Jeff at RocketChip a call. Beautiful drive to his shop in Red Lion, PA through the back roads of East PA farm country.