Shock & Strut Replacement

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
I'm going to replace all four shocks and struts on m A4 sedan soon. My car has 105k miles on the original suspension.

What else should I be replacing at the same time?

For example, should I be buying an "install kit" with new bushings and bump stops etc?

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
you should also replace strut bearings, bump stops and bushings for stabilizer bar. Only use quality shocks, Bilstein are the best, Boge, konis are good . Stay away from unknowns like Cofab, Intrax, Tein, Monroe .
I heard good things about Tokicos and had a set of KYB in my scirocco yrs ago, no complains with them.

Last edited:

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Dimitri16V said:
you should also replace strut bearings, bump stops and bushings for stabilizer bar. Only use quality shocks, Bilstein are the best, Boge, konis are good . Stay away from unknowns like Cofab, Intrax, Tein, Monroe .
I heard good things about Tokicos and had a set of KYB in my scirocco yrs ago, no complains with them.
I've pretty much settled on Koni products, either the newer STR.T or he more expensive Reds. There are just waaaay too many people here who have been sorely dissatisfied with Bilstiens. According to Peter at tdiparts, the cofabs are the manufacturers for the VW oem in new production.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Dimitri16V said:
I'm just wondering if I need to buy something like this:

http://www.boraparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_200_205_240_398&products_id=357

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
Control arm bushings couldnt hurt either. The TT ones might be a little stiff for the roads up there.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
So I pulled all of the wheels off ths morning and looked at all of the structure underneath. So far, I haven't found any cracks or damage. I think i will change all of the rubber bushings and etc. I know that all of that rubber stuff is life limited, so to speak.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
mrchaotica said:
Not to hijack, but I'd been wondering the same thing (except I was considering this set instead).
yeah, I saw that kit but it's for an Audi and I drive a Jetta. I don't much believe in altering a vehicle from original. I kind of feel like the engineers who designed the car are a lot smarter than me and I'm not likely to improve on it much. Additionally, they designed the car to last x years at y performance level, sure you can make it "better," but you're going to reduce that life span. (Although, suspension is not really a good example of this.)

Plus, that kit is over $200...F-that.

mrchaotica said:
My Beetle is about 30 miles short of 175K, and I have no idea what, if any, maintenance the previous owner did.
Then the only answer to that question is none. Assume nothing.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
At only 105k miles, the front end bushings should still be good (LCA's, swaybar, etc)

Upper strut mount and bearings, along with a new mounting bolt for the shock itself.

Remember to tighten everything down once the car is off the stands and under it's own weight.

cvalentine

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf, 2014 328d
Here's the parts list I've got for when I change everything out this summer. Double the amounts if you want to do both the left and right side. The Control Arm Bushing is the TT/R32 version, and Sway Bar Bushing stuff may be different for your car.

Control arm bushings 8N0 407 181 B
hex nut for CAB N 015 081 4
hex bolt for CAB N 102 622 01
hex bolt front CA N 904 840 03
hex bolt outboard CA (x3) N 101 277 06
sway bar to CA bolt N 104 176 01
Sway bar bushing 1J0 411 314 R
Sway bar bracket 1J0 411 336 D

rear shock bottom bolt N 905 173 02
rear shock bottom nut N 102 861 03
rear shock top bolts (x2) N 906 484 01
strut bearing 1j0 412 249
strut storage 1j0 412 331 c
threaded bush 1h0 412 365 a
Rear shock top mount 1J0 513 353 G
10 mm spacer 1J0 412 311 A
20 mm spacer 1j0 412 311

1B 4W HD front spring 1H9 411 105 F
2W 4B HD front spring 1J0 411 105 CL
HD rear spring (4 door golf) 1J0 511 115 AE

EDIT:

I finally got around to ordering parts, and some of the above parts are not available in the US. I couldn't get the 20mm spacer, so I got two sets of 10mm spacers to stack them. The heavier weight front spring (1H9 411 105 F) was not available, but I was able to get 1J0 411 105 CL. Most of the rough road and towing rear springs for jettas and golfs in the ETKA are unavailable, so I got the jetta wagon rear spring, which appears to be close (1J0 511 115 CP)

Last edited:

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
cvalentine said:
I haven't decided on spacer size of front spring weight range yet. I've got a nice spring compressor you can borrow when the time comes too.
Thanks for the offer; I have access to one already. I'm also going to drag the air compressor from work as well, lol.

Hey, how's it going, haven't heard from you in a while. I've noticed that there are several new members from here, we should have a gtg, not that break-up is here, lol.

Looks like you're changing springs and everything. I'm trying to get away on a tight budget, so I would like to change as little as possible. Mounting hardware, such as bolts and etc and are a no-brainer, there rest is all fuzzy to me.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
LNXGUY said:
Remember to tighten everything down once the car is off the stands and under it's own weight.
That's a good reminder, thanks. I wonder if I should bother with a torque wrench or just blast everything on with a 1/2" drive impact gun. (I'm looking for an excuse to finally buy a good tq. wrench from SK or Snap-On.)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
FL2AK-tdi said:
yeah, I saw that kit but it's for an Audi and I drive a Jetta. I don't much believe in altering a vehicle from original. I kind of feel like the engineers who designed the car are a lot smarter than me and I'm not likely to improve on it much. Additionally, they designed the car to last x years at y performance level, sure you can make it "better," but you're going to reduce that life span. (Although, suspension is not really a good example of this.)

Plus, that kit is over $200...F-that.
The Audi TT, like the Audi A3, has a great many parts which are interchangeable with the A4 Jetta/Golf/NB. Upgrades are not for everyone, but they often last longer than the OE parts.

As for the two hardware kits... I bought one comparable to the $75 kit sold by Bora Parts, though from a different vendor. I think it was unnecessary to replace any of the bolts. The plastic/rubber bits, which may be worth replacing, ought to cost quite a bit less.

Buglite

TDI
99 NB
FL2AK-tdi said:
That's a good reminder, thanks. I wonder if I should bother with a torque wrench or just blast everything on with a 1/2" drive impact gun. (I'm looking for an excuse to finally buy a good tq. wrench from SK or Snap-On.)
Buy or borrow the strut tool that Metalnerd.com sells you don't want to just use a impact gun on the top nuts the shaft just spins and does not get tight enough. Mfr instructions say not to let that happen. VW says to replace all the bolts and the axle nut when you remove them.
I just changed my struts and shocks at 13000mi the control arm bushings seemed fine but I'm planing on changing thm when it warms up

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
FL2AK-tdi said:
I blast the top strut nut on and off all the time. I just limit the torque the gun puts out. Haven't had a problem yet...

Jon Linn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle 160,000 miles
TornadoRed said:
The Audi TT, like the Audi A3, has a great many parts which are interchangeable with the A4 Jetta/Golf/NB. Upgrades are not for everyone, but they often last longer than the OE parts.

As for the two hardware kits... I bought one comparable to the $75 kit sold by Bora Parts, though from a different vendor. I think it was unnecessary to replace any of the bolts. The plastic/rubber bits, which may be worth replacing, ought to cost quite a bit less.
If you would ever install new shocks and struts again would you use the same kit or upgrade to either http://www.boraparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_202_368_416&products_id=359a complete kit, http://www.boraparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_202_368_416&products_id=359 or a deluxe kit, http://www.boraparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_202_368_416&products_id=358

I am going with either HD's or Sports because MJM Autohaus has a nice group buy going on until the end of the month. This time, unlike with my Jetta, I want to replace all the rubber install parts; I didn't last time and my ride is really bumpy and harsh. I am going to have to reinstall the shocks and struts during the summer with one of the install kits from Boraparts.

Thanks

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Jon Linn said:
I replaced the shocks and struts at around 100k or 105k miles... That's probably why I did not need all the new parts.

If I was replacing now, I would change out a lot of suspension parts. What I think will happen is, I think I'll be able to go another 70k or 100k miles on the suspension as it is right now. At that point my Golf would have 350k-380k miles and it would make sense to go for all new parts.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Thanks for your input, Tornado. Your car, at the time had about the same mileage as my car now. (105k mi) I'll start trying to price out just the rubber components and bushings. I'm on a very short budget for this. So much so that, although I had earlier decided on Koni Reds, and although the newer, less expensive, non-adjustable orange are not available at the moment, I feel like I must wait until they are, just to save the $200.

TDI
2004 golf tdi
I just overhauled my front suspension...I'll do the rear in a few months when i have the money.
I replaced both control arms( new ones came with ball joints and bushings), sway bar bushings, struts and strut mounts. I just used "Sensi-track" struts from NAPA- im not made of money :p
I still get a bit of a clunking in the front end though, i guess this is normal with v-dubs?
It's a pain in the rear to tighten the mounting nut on the struts, so be thinking of how you'll do that properly (i think i need to tighten mine a little more)
Make sure you have every single possible tool you might need before starting this project!

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
FL2AK-tdi said:
Thanks for your input, Tornado. Your car, at the time had about the same mileage as my car now. (105k mi) I'll start trying to price out just the rubber components and bushings. I'm on a very short budget for this. So much so that, although I had earlier decided on Koni Reds, and although the newer, less expensive, non-adjustable orange are not available at the moment, I feel like I must wait until they are, just to save the $200.
Unless you have experienced :

1. strut or shock leakage
2. have massive tire wear problems,
3. trouble keeping alignment
4. suspension parts failure
5. spring fatigue or failure

I would question why you (actually I, for all that matters) would want to change your struts and shocks at 105,000 miles, especially in light of the short budget issue?

My take would be wait at least untill 200,000 miles (or if item # one happens) and since you would probably have it apart ANYWAY, change the WHOLE kit and kaboodle, IF it is marginal to bad at that juncture. Otherwise... motor on !!

Indeed the parts that usually fail first are the suspension components and not the shocks and struts !! The oxymoronic thing is since you will be paying to change the components out anyway.... might as well change shock and struts too. Many people look at this concept backwards.

This might seems like a nit picky issue, but I have not read of ANYBODY who has changed out the suspension components only and put the old shocks and struts and done a valid A/B test or evaluation. Indeed years ago a fellow TDI er did a shock dyno test of a oem shock after app 95,000 miles and found it perfectly serviceable and was only 5-10% out from a brand new oem shock !!??

I am at 113,000 miles. I just changed out the oem tires at 112,000 miles. Suspension and parts are still good to go. It didn't even need an alignment at 100,000 miles !! (got it anyway since it was a special at a GTG and I didn't want to stiff the vendor)

I did do the TB/WP gig @ app 100,000 miles (actually 98,500 miles, cause I am a belt and suspenders kind of person), but as you would probably agree, a WAY separate issue.

Last edited:

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
spacer question

cvalentine said:
Here's the parts list I've got for when I change everything out this summer. Double the amounts if you want to do both the left and right side. The Control Arm Bushing is the TT/R32 version, and Sway Bar Bushing stuff may be different for your car.

Control arm bushings 8N0 407 181 B
hex nut for CAB N 015 081 4
hex bolt for CAB N 102 622 01
hex bolt front CA N 904 840 03
hex bolt outboard CA (x3) N 101 277 06
sway bar to CA bolt N 104 176 01
Sway bar bushing 1J0 411 314 R
Sway bar bracket 1J0 411 336 D

rear shock bottom bolt N 905 173 02
rear shock bottom nut N 102 861 03
rear shock top bolts (x2) N 906 484 01
strut bearing 1j0 412 249
strut storage 1j0 412 331 c
threaded bush 1h0 412 365 a
Rear shock top mount 1J0 513 353 G
10 mm spacer 1J0 412 311 A
20 mm spacer 1j0 412 311

1B 4W HD front spring 1H9411105F
2W 4B HD front spring 1j0411105cl
HD rear spring 1j0511115ae

I haven't decided on spacer size of front spring weight range yet. I've got a nice spring compressor you can borrow when the time comes too.
Did you end up doing spacers on front and back? I am thinking just the front.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
Dimitri16V said:
why, they have a lifetime warranty and come preassembled, sounds like a good deal to me

http://www.monroe.com/products/quickstrut.asp?currItem=%5Flevel0%2EmcQuickStrutHeader&currSubItem=%5Flevel0%2EmcQuickStrutHeader%2EmcHeader&rolloverObj=%5Bobject+Object%5D

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
ta79pr said:
Did you end up doing spacers on front and back? I am thinking just the front.
I just finished this job last week. I had o upgrade tot he Reds because the oranges just were not going to be in stock. Pete at tdiparts has been great.

No, I didn't at spacers anywhere. I bought the shock strut & mount kit from tdiparts, and also bought all new hardware and new swaybar bushings.

Everything is much improved.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
FL2AK-tdi said:
I just finished this job last week. I had o upgrade tot he Reds because the oranges just were not going to be in stock. Pete at tdiparts has been great.

No, I didn't at spacers anywhere. I bought the shock strut & mount kit from tdiparts, and also bought all new hardware and new swaybar bushings.

Everything is much improved.
Did you get an alignment? Hope so.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
TornadoRed said:
Did you get an alignment? Hope so.
There is a hole other htread wher I get berated for asking wether or not I need the special tie rod tool to pull the tie rods off over this lol. (we're not go ing htere lol.)

yeah I took it to an alignment shop; it pulls to the right now. Howeer, they pointed out what I carelessly overlooked: the outer tie rods are worn and there is a bit of play in both front tires. So I postponed the alignement until next week. I'm expecting new inner and out tie rods from tdiparts any day now and plan to replace them this weekend. After that, I will go back and have it aligned.

I'm pretty disappointed inmyself for overlooking it really.