B4 Strut & Shock replace?

Templar_kn

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat TDI
I need to compress the spring? What size Compressing tool? Can I use a mcpherson 5/8" tool from sears or will that not fit? The sears tool is $45. I dont want to spend a lot on some VW oem tool. I checked all the bushings and for the most part they all seem ok. I am gonna replace the bushing that the strut sits in ... looks like a cup. Do I have to do any others. How would I know if the sprongs need replacing?
Thankyou.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
A generic spring compressor (long bolt with a threaded hook at one end and a slip fit hook at the other) will suffice. Be aware that the B4 spring diameter may not accomodate a compressor designed for a larger diameter spring. My JCWhimpy compressors work, but I can only get one hook of each pair on the coil loops.
Consider replacing the rubber cup in which the ball bearing is set. The rubber compresses over time. Look under the hood at the top of the strut assembly. If there is more than 1/2 inch gap between the inner fender and the outer edge of the metal cup, then replace the rubber strut top mount.
Springs generally don't need to be replaced. Measure the car body from some point to the ground. The back edge of the front wheel opening is a good location. Compare one side to the other. If less than 1/4 inch difference, then leave the springs alone. If more, check the gap difference at the strut top mount. The springs may be OK and the ride height difference may be the unequal degradation of the top mounts.