Fine until this morning

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
I have Chrismak's motor and 5 speed drivetrain in my Variant.
Been driving it without issues. at all except it likes 1 liter of oil every 1-2K miles.
Car has been running fine. Currently on 1/2 tank of fuel. Drove it yesterday like nothing.
This morning: cranked it and it won't fire.
Tried it again. Nothing. No CEL.
After 3rd try, low oil pressure light came on and the word STOP came on. Checked oil. A little low. Topped of with a liter after dipstick showed it was low on oil. No hard driving. Tried starting again. Nothing. Turns and turns but won't start.
The ONLY thing i've noticed, is that SOMETIMES, specially after the car has been driven in stop and go traffic and it's hot, when coming to a stop in traffic:
1) I slow down.
2) Left foot in to go on neutral (5 speed manual)
3) Car idles just a little below regular idle speed, about 700 instead of 900. As if the drivetrain was engaged and I had released the clutch slightly without giving it fuel with the right foot.
4) It'll idle for about 10 seconds like that, then it sounds as if a solenoid turns on the engine blips to normal idle speed.
The ONLY thing I did that was not routine for me is I parked it outside on the driveway nose up on a very slight incline. After it didn't start, I rolled it to the flat part and it still won't start. Checked all the 373 relays and they all work (9 V click test)
Any thoughts?

Last edited:

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
Update. Changed out the lift pump.
Prior to changing the pump out, vwztips changed out the fuel filter, checked out all the relays, ran diagnostics, found that the lift pump did pump fuel. Cranked it a few times, battery died. Charged it up and after a few more cranks car started and was running fine.
Tested the car again by parking with the nose up overnight. Next day, car wouldn't start. Figured it was probably the fuel draining back to the tank and creating an airlock in the fuel lines. Not aware of any check valves in a lift pump. Changed out my lift pump for a spare lift pump sitting in vwztips's garage. Parked the car nose up again overnight. This morning: started right up. Thank you, again, Jeff.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
There might be the equivalent of a check valve in the lift pump. FYI

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I had a non-start once after sitting nose up for a few weeks with very low tank level. Never repeated, though.

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2004 Passat (RIP)
whizznbyu - did you need special tool 3307 to change the lift pump? Mine is dead and I'm trying to figure out if I really need to part with $60 to get the tool. The procedure is fairly bizarre in the Bentley as well. It's like you disassemble the thing in place and then use the tool to take out the cage. I didn't see any howtos on this particular job.

Passat'n Adventure

TDI
05 Passat GLS Wagon - Deleted and 5 speeded '15 Passat SEL P
mgoff5000, I have been following your thread because I no longer hear the gurgle. I found a video on youtube that someone with no prior experience on one of these posted. He used a screwdriver and the palm of his hand to twist the ring of with gentle thumps. I am about to run the click tests on the relay. If it comes down to the pump, I am willing to try it without the tool.

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2004 Passat (RIP)
Passat'nAdventure -
The ring seems to be easy with a drift/chisel and hammer. No need for special tool there. The 3307 is to rotate/unlock the pump body from the bottom of tank. The one in that video is a 2001 Passat and although B5, it's a different pump than what I have in my car. idparts.com and europaparts.com seem to come of with the right one that matches what I have and what's in the (old) EKTA that I have.