AWD transfer case on fwd dsg.

bifster

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi gone now, 2004 jetta silver 5 speed, 2004 jetta red automatic, 2001 jetta silver 5 speed ALH
So I finally found drive train components to do my AWD conversion to my 2011 sport wagon.

My question is, can I thread the holes on my fwd tdi dsg and install the transfer case with the proper awd passenger axle exstension or is the dsg differential actually different and not able to drive the transfer case?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
ETKA does not even show any front differential parts for the 02E, so no idea if the FWD and AWD versions use the same bits inside. Likely not.

bifster

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi gone now, 2004 jetta silver 5 speed, 2004 jetta red automatic, 2001 jetta silver 5 speed ALH
I believe it is not possible without opening transmission and swapping ring gear/ carrier.

My only other issue to fix is fuel tank. I have a gasoline tank from an a3 that has the hump for the drive shaft but I dont think I can use it in my local area with the small filler neck hole.
What is everyone doing for a diesel AWD fuel tank?

glenn1179

Veteran Member
TDI
na
Is the filler neck actually too small for the larger diesel nozzle or is there just a plate in the filler neck near the top that restricts the size. When swapping diesels into car bodies that ran on gas the practice is generally to punch out that restriction plate. Some try to extract it and make clean work of it, others hammer and chisel it and let it fall into the tank for eternity. :)

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
the 4mo diff carrier is extended to the right side with a spline on it to drive the tcase

if you're swapping for a limited slip or something anyways then yeah you can use the same trans, but swapping in another open diff just seems wrong when compared to getting a junkyard unit all together already

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
As for drilling and tapping the holes - what are you going to use as a jig to make sure the holes are lined up and don't cause a bind when bolting on the transfer box?

I already knew about the diff having a drive spline for the bevel box in addition to the passenger axle. Not sure if the seal and case opening is any different, thou.

Only reason I'm interested in this is the Tigaun I have is 4motion and I don't want to loose that IF I ever venture into a TDI swap.

Jason

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
As for drilling and tapping the holes - what are you going to use as a jig to make sure the holes are lined up and don't cause a bind when bolting on the transfer box?

I already knew about the diff having a drive spline for the bevel box in addition to the passenger axle. Not sure if the seal and case opening is any different, thou.

Only reason I'm interested in this is the Tigaun I have is 4motion and I don't want to loose that IF I ever venture into a TDI swap.

Jason
the bolts do not locate the box, there is a machined register around the seal surface
bolts are never used as dowels for locating anything

your tig is an auto if you're in the us, so you'll be looking at a trans and tcase. Get both at the same time as the tcase was only imported for the TT-RS.
Ryanp would be a good guy to contact on getting a pile of parts sent over from europe.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
the bolts do not locate the box, there is a machined register around the seal surface
bolts are never used as dowels for locating anything
your tig is an auto if you're in the us, so you'll be looking at a trans and tcase. Get both at the same time as the tcase was only imported for the TT-RS.
Ryanp would be a good guy to contact on getting a pile of parts sent over from europe.
I know the bolts dob't locate the bevel box, but they do need to line up when the bevel box is installed in the machined bore in the transmission case. Of the several I have taken off, many of those threaded holes are not centered in the casting.

I heard about the bevel box being unique to the TDI Tiguan.

Jason

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I heard about the bevel box being unique to the TDI Tiguan.
not tdi specific, but trans specific
MQ500 manual, dq500 DSG and AQ450 automatic
Transfer box itself interchanges from DQ500 and MQ500, center (right side stub) axle shaft on MQ is gundrilled for retention bolt where DQ is solid and slightly longer, but of the same spline. I am running a DQ center axle in my MQ, I just lengthened the splines slightly with a dremel to get the axle in far enough for the sealing surface to line up with the shaft seals.

AQ450 has a different larger diameter, finer pitch spline from the differential carrier, and a much smaller coarser spline to the axle shaft. It will physically bolt up to either AQ or MQ, but it neither shaft will touch its mating spline. Great if you want a whole bunch of neutral gears.

Ratios are all the same (tcase and rear diff) across the board.

ETA: oh, and what I was getting at on the question of locating the bolt holes, they are noncritical so simply transfer punch them.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
sorry to bump an old thread but is there an update on this? i would like to do this to my sportwagen