Name that homemade tool!!!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Snub key as in, for the gearbox. Snub because it's short.
Yip, spot on, it's actually a spare wheel bolt, cut off the threaded part then grind the rounded part to the same 17mm size as the main bolt. Works a treat too. The round handled ring spanner is the perfect fit for the AHU/1Z and AFN engine IP.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
On the wall of the shop

While incredibly creative, I have to ask - why didn't you just mount it in the wall of the shop?
Mainly I was trying to achieve less noise.

It is an old unit that had a broken face. Cutting a huge hole in the side of my garage was about as easy as sitting it on the scaffolding.....either way, it would have required support.

I did insulate inside the ducts with styrofoam board. A metal shop made the double plenum (return one side and exhaust the other) for me.

I did install a 12" X 12" filter housing on the inside. Also, the top duct "will be" attached to a duct that parallels the length of the building on the inside with several outlet vents.

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore

Made to be used in conjunction with another handy tool

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
You guys shouldn't have any trouble guessing what this is. I made it from stuff bought at Home Depot:

--Nate

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
This apparatus was originally built to suport the engine in a 1996 BMW Roadster. As good fortune would be, it fits perfectly to support the TDI engine in Jettas and Golfs. It is very smiliar to PDJetta's device! Good work man!

Here, it is being put to use to hold up a TDI engine being installed in an '84 Vanagon!

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
First is the home made tool that measurements were taken on to make the metalnerd ones!

2nd is a hook to pull stuck waterpumps

3rd you are right.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Not exactly a tool for working on VWs, but it sure makes the working conditions a lot better on hot humid summer days. This is a 220 volt 23,000 BTU window unit converted to a semi-central air set-up for my garage. The controls are on the wall inside...push and turn!:D

You want another one. I am pullling mine out and repacing it with a Inverter Zone system,

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
Lol! No, this is a "bridge" to assist in pulling front wheel bearings. Used in conjuction with Harbor Fart's front wheel bearing service set, it extracts those stubborn bearing cases that just won't come out of the bore with a slide hammer.

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
Forgot I had posted on this thread, leaving everybody hanging:eek:
OK, I made this for use on an ALH where the TB tensioner dog engages the back of the timing cover. A tiny square steel ring lines the opening and if you find one out of place, it's very difficult to put back, it's do-able but this tool makes it slick.
The B4 guys will like this one:

This was another tool for the 020 on my old 91 Jetta. Getting the spring loaded 90mm drive flanges to seat and install the little clip was a challenge. Used along with a short piece of threaded rod & nut, this did it in one step.

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Ok here's one.... Actually two .....one in the tan cash box also ;)

A better pic

These TDI's run thru me vanes I just havnt been able to stop !! ....and greengeeker pulls ahead for the lead!!! ....VNT stop screw adjuster....loosens the lock nut and turns the set screw all in one tool....I made this for adjusting my 17/22 while the turbo was scorching hot....works great as long as the set screw is not frozen in place ;)

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI

PDjetta for the win!~! ....crank lock tool for removing crank sprocket bolt

Keep yer cool with 020 ;)

steer clear!!...don't get "bent" over this powerful tool!!

Last edited:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
OK, Jim, the first tool is an injector puller for an ALH and the second is a crankshaft counterhold to allow the big crank sprocker bolt to be removed, I believe. I don't know what the other two are, but they are all ingenious.

--Nate

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
No pressure, but just in case here's another to pump you up!! :D

Smiley face to hold something in place :)

many brake a part without this tool .... solved by Oldpoopie! ....brake pedal release tool copied from VW official item!!

Easy one to get a hold of ;)

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
OK, Jim, the first tool is an injector puller for an ALH and the second is a crankshaft counterhold to allow the big crank sprocker bolt to be removed, I believe. I don't know what the other two are, but they are all ingenious.

--Nate
Nope on the first one...I almost didn't post because I've never seen another ...
You are right on with number two !

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Last one for awhile.... (this photobucket app works too good)

for fixing the cooler when it becomes a drooler!! this one makes a breeze of the tight squeeze, pass the cheese please !

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
One is for releasing the master cylinder from the brake pedal.
you are correct sir!! ...I have a buddy who used to work for VW and he snuck me back into the tool vault where I took measurements and spy photos of said tool....then I recreated it in my knock off of a chinese knock off shop :)

Last edited: