Assenmacher Specialty Tools

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Don't know about the electronic gizmos, but the company (AST) has an excellent reputation and they're not cheap.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
I'll take a VAG-COM setup anyday over this. I've used lots of the other scantools, Snap-On Modis, OTC Genysis, Actron, Ease, etc.

The best VW/Audi specific tool is VAG-COM hands down.

This is just my opinion but I think you'll find most will agree.

AccountingTroll

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Pearl White 2006 NB, Red
jollyGreenGiant said:
I'll take a VAG-COM setup anyday over this. I've used lots of the other scantools, Snap-On Modis, OTC Genysis, Actron, Ease, etc.

The best VW/Audi specific tool is VAG-COM hands down.

This is just my opinion but I think you'll find most will agree.
I agree that it is NOT a replacement for VAG-COM. I just want to know if it's worth getting for 50 to 100 bucks? You know, cool factor. There is no way I would pay the list price. I think I could get the VAG-COM pro set for that kind of money.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Yup, take it for $50. It'll be faster to just plug in for simple stuff and is more portable than a laptop/VAG-COM...

AccountingTroll

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Pearl White 2006 NB, Red
Forget it. The thing sold for 150.00 I stopped bidding at 120.00 This was at an auction on Saturday. I did buy a few tools but this crowd was bidding 35+ for sets of craftsman wrenches that cost 19.95 new. (ya, they were the older c-man stuff, but still.) Here is a link. http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=256976&kwd=

This garage was about 1 mile from were I grew up and is were I purchased my first diesel, an 84 Rabbit ND.

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan
AccountingTroll said:
Forget it. The thing sold for 150.00 I stopped bidding at 120.00 This was at an auction on Saturday. I did buy a few tools but this crowd was bidding 35+ for sets of craftsman wrenches that cost 19.95 new. (ya, they were the older c-man stuff, but still.) . . .
Ah yes, the auction fever strikes again! :eek: Good entertainment, if you've done your homework.

My favorite out here in the PNW--a beat-up non-starting chainsaw (not some high-cube Stihl, but an older Homelite or some other beater) sometimes will sell for $100-200 at auction, and it could be a doorstop. You just have to go outside the barn, get some fresh air, and laugh, thinking of that famous line about a fool and his/(her) money. :)