FS: 2002 VW Golf TDI 5 Speed

ss7

TDI
02 Golf GLS

I have a blue 2002 VW 4-door Golf with 5 speed transmission for sale.

$500 OBO

I have owned the car since 2010. It was purchased with 109k miles. It now has 261k. I am selling because I purchased a newer vehicle.

The good: It is a running and driving car that has never left me stranded. I recently replaced the timing belt @250k miles with the full ID parts recommended kit (water pump, tensioner, idlers); this was also done when I purchased the car @ ~115k. It has always been regularly maintained (air filter & oil changes) with Mann filters and Rotella T6 oil. I have recently replaced wheel bearings, brakes, and a rear caliper that was sticking. The struts/shocks were replaced approximately five years ago and still ride smoothly. The headlights are modified HID with projectors.

The bad: Two years ago, the immobilizer went out; I sent the ECU out to ignore the fault instead of replacing column/keys, so the immobilizer light is active on the dash. The check engine light is active for MAF sensor error; I replaced the MAF over a year ago with the Bosch MAF and the fault is still active. Because there was no impact on fuel economy, I haven't worried about troubleshooting further and just routinely check for additional codes (none found). The air conditioner does not engage when the button is pushed; I have removed the belt and verified the clutch is not engaging (this is as far as I got troubleshooting). The compressor, expansion valve, and dryer were all replaced 2016. The car is showing its sign of age with rust (as shown below). There is a new bug in the electrical system -- the windows roll down randomly on their own. I have done zero troubleshooting here. The car still has its original clutch and an experienced TDI person will recognize the engagement's laziness.

Current odometer (no plan to increase although I do have new tags and it is still insured).

The visible signs of age noted above.

Here is a picture of the engine bay. I do have the battery cover, but because the car has the window issue noted above, I keep the battery disconnected.