Fix 2003 Jetta TDI Sportwagen or get something else?

nwhayes

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
I have a 2003 Jetta TDI Sportwagen with the ALH motor, leather, etc and got a big estimate from the mechanic. It has 215k on it, and need new rack and pinion, springs and struts on all the wheels, and catalytic converter. There are other minor things it could use too. All in all it's is decent shape with little rust. Any thoughts? Should I get rid of it? Thanks.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
"Big estimate"?

Rack, $200 or so.
Suspension (everything -- struts, springs, control arms, etc) - $500-700.
Cat? Ok, you're in an emissions state where they ACTUALLY check the tailpipe? Or just no CEL? Get one from a junkyard if you must. $200 maybe? Note that if the test is OBD it won't detect a present but non-working cat, so.... yeah.

So what do we got here? A grand?

Get out the wrenches and fix it yourself. What can you buy for one large that actually runs, say much less gets 50mpg?

Nothing.

BTW my kid has the same car. '03, one listed in my profile. ~250k miles. ORIGINAL clutch (!), DLC1019s, runs great. Did the timing belt on it about ~20k miles ago. No rust (we live in the south), everything works other than the A/C which needs an RCV. It could use a set of control arms and probably tie rod ends, which it will get sometime in the current year. What's not to like -- it looks good and runs like a scalded cat when you stomp on it. The only "big money" thing I have had to do with it was having the IP resealed, which I sent out to DFIS a few years ago.

Last edited:

KyleMillione

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta, 03 Jetta
How much is this big estimate? Do you like driving it, or do you want a new car? Also, where in NY are you, if your on LI I have a shop that actually can fix them. I think I have a used cat I could sell you if you really need, but if the weld is just broken after the cat it’s an easy fix. Pm me and I can probably meet you over at the shop.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My son has an '02 Golf. We bought it for short money, and it's been incredibly good to him. We've replaced suspension, timing belt, rear calipers, brake rotors and pads, and, of course, filters and fluids. We put new injector nozzles in it last year.

It has 362K miles on it. The steering rack seems to be consuming a bit of PS fluid: we've added about 4 oz in the past 6 months. When he was here changing the oil I asked him if he felt it was worthwhile replacing the steering rack if needed. He said, "of course! Where else am I going to get a car this good for such a small amount of money?" I think there's your answer. Next month it'll get a timing belt service, perhaps a steering rack.

My daily is an '02 Jetta Wagon (not a Sportwagen, btw), with 366K on it. I never hesitate to have whatever it needs done to it. That way I continue to enjoy driving it. I bought it new, I don't think it owes me anything. But it's a great car, my favorite, and in my opinion, there's nothing like it.

Get it fixed and drive on!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Fix it. As Genesis say $1000 in parts. Or you could spend $40k and regret it once a month minimum.

nwhayes

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Thanks for the feedback everyone. The estimate on the work was $2000, but I think I'll get the wrenches out and give it a go. I don't want to drive anything else, and I don't want another monthly payment. I do have the factory repair manual so I should probably put it to good use. Thanks again!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
All doable, springs and struts are the hardest.
$2000 including good parts seems reasonable. That may not cover the 4 wheel alignment (100-$200?).

If it goes 3 years, that's a $56 car payment

flashmayo

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta - Gator Tuned
My 03 Jetta had a clogged catalytic converter when I bought it with 80k miles on it. Don’t ask me how that happened. Once I figured it out I was able to buy a cat from someone on this list for $100 IIRC, this included the whole shebang from the flex pipe to the exhaust.
Your car only has 215k on it so far. Replacing struts and springs is not hard to do in the driveway. The steering rack may just be leaking a little, which it could do for years.
Sounds like just a bit of deferred maintenance to me. Keep it and start learning how to do this stuff yourself. You’ll be glad you did.