Help! Turbine wheel in exhaust

BarefootJetta

TDI
04 Jetta MKIV
Changing to a new turbo and found the old turbine in the exhaust hung on o2 sensor. In the process of removing it slid past o2 back towards the cat and now I don't know what to do. Help help help need to drive tomorrow!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Turn the car on end and shake?
Seriously, call Uber.

Don't believe that's ferrous, so a magnet won't work. So there's long needle nose, bent wire, any way to get a hold of it. I will interweb guess it's in there good and you'll need to remove some pipe or maybe just the sensor. Neither will be easy on a car that old.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I had to try it and no, a magnet does not stick to the turbine of the 1756 on my
workbench. I think I would start removing the exhaust hangers to lower it and shake.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
I have a tool that has 3 wires with prongs at the end. When you push the button the other end they come out and grab what you are trying to retrieve.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Mine did the same thing, hung up on the o2 sensor, actually ground the end off the sensor but I was able to fish it out with a telescoping magnet.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Unbolt the slip clamp after the cat and pull the down pipe out of the car - you already have the front detached from the turbo. Worst case - remove the O2 sensor and dump the wheel back out.