www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old May 10th, 2018, 13:26   #46
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

My friend did a tune on his Ram because of the same issues. Bonus: now it gets nearly 30 MPG on the highway along with zero DEF usage and the MIL has never since shown itself.
Old May 10th, 2018, 13:30   #47
bf1967
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005 Golf
Fuel Economy: 44 mixed

Hey Oilhammer. If we decide to keep it that might be the route to go. Which tune did he get?

Our best mileage stock was 32 Mpg on a trip to North Carolina. All highway of course.

Mods so far: RC1+, G60/VR6, Bilstein TCs, Zerostart Htr, ScanGauge II, DG Panzer Plate/FMJ , euroswitch, blue euro mirrors, (Vent,Muffler)ectomy, WD Collar Mod, Sirius
bf1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2018, 13:35   #48
oilhammer

I think GDE? Is that one of them? I am not sure. It is an "econo" tune, meaning it is more for fuel economy than power. They run plenty good all on their own really. And I was pretty shocked it got nearly 30, but now the new F150 diesel is also claimed (by several sources) to be 30 MPG capable.

Diesels still win when it comes to moving something big and heavy with the least amount of fuel.
Old May 10th, 2018, 15:20   #49
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

We're about to schedule an appointment for our Passat buyback. The Mk4 Jetta and 1991 Mercedes 350SDL are for sale. We might keep the Touareg since it's so unique and a beast in the winter, but otherwise, we're well on our way to an electric fleet.
Old May 10th, 2018, 20:28   #50
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

For those that still have their TDI, heck even if you don't have your TDI, but are still into cars you're more than welcome to come to my October 20th Cruise/GTG in Sturgeon Bay, WI.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=488865
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
3L3M3NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 03:01   #51
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
We're well on our way to an electric fleet.
I do like the new Jaguar electric, although I have trouble overcoming the irony of an electric car from the nation of Lucas electrics.
Old May 11th, 2018, 07:49   #52
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1967 View Post
Hey Oilhammer. If we decide to keep it that might be the route to go. Which tune did he get?

Our best mileage stock was 32 Mpg on a trip to North Carolina. All highway of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
I think GDE? Is that one of them? I am not sure. It is an "econo" tune, meaning it is more for fuel economy than power. They run plenty good all on their own really. And I was pretty shocked it got nearly 30, but now the new F150 diesel is also claimed (by several sources) to be 30 MPG capable.

Diesels still win when it comes to moving something big and heavy with the least amount of fuel.
Yes, GDE is one of the few that make a tune for the Ram. There is another big tuner but I think they only operate in Canada. I'm thinking about it but might wait until I have the travel trailer and need the extra power to tow. They can also tune for engine braking. My only issue is that you either have to take the truck to them, southern Michigan, or send the ECM or purchase one from them. So you're without a vehicle while getting the tune.

Here's a link: http://www.greendieselengineering.co...ne/2_37.action
Old May 11th, 2018, 08:24   #53
BKmetz
Administrator, Member #10

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
We're about to schedule an appointment for our Passat buyback. The Mk4 Jetta and 1991 Mercedes 350SDL are for sale. We might keep the Touareg since it's so unique and a beast in the winter, but otherwise, we're well on our way to an electric fleet.
BOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I do like the new Jaguar electric, although I have trouble overcoming the irony of an electric car from the nation of Lucas electrics.
^^^^^ Hahahahaa...

If ANYONE receives a PM/email from a TDIClub member shilling anything and they are NOT a registered vendor, please forward the PM/emails to me. To report spam, trolling, or any problem post, click the report post icon. (The icon in the actual problem post, not the one in my sig. The idiots know who they are... )
BKmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 09:14   #54
jmodge
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3L3M3NT View Post
For those that still have their TDI, heck even if you don't have your TDI, but are still into cars you're more than welcome to come to my October 20th Cruise/GTG in Sturgeon Bay, WI.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=488865
If we make it, probably be driving the K5 with a popup camper on the back. If I am not set up on the hunting property we may take a ride if Donna can get some time off. Never been on that peninsular.
Old May 11th, 2018, 10:05   #55
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
I laughed out loud.

It is a very intriguing looking vehicle with pretty good specs. I really like the interior trim options.
Old May 11th, 2018, 10:26   #56
oilhammer

Quote:
Ha! Yeah, but I have not seen a Jaguar with Lucas anything in decades. Even before the Ford takeover, most of what made them tick was Bosch, Denso, Hitachi, Delphi, Temic, Brose, Valeo, etc.

I put an alternator in a 2007 Volvo V70 yesterday. It was a Bosch, but made in Great Britain, its INA pulley was made in Spain, the power steering pump I had to remove to get to it was a ZF unit made in Hungary. Did the whole job, never did see a piece made in Sweden.
Old May 11th, 2018, 11:31   #57
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
I still have nightmares about my (short) ownership of a Jensen Healey and early MGB.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 12:03   #58
dogdots

TDI(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I still have nightmares about my (short) ownership of a Jensen Healey and early MGB.
Owning a couple of MGB GT's (now long gone) and my Norton 850 Commando (still in my possession) taught me loads about Lucas electrics

Also necessitated the purchase of Wentworth tools
Old May 12th, 2018, 14:32   #59
Hobbes22
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40.8/46.8/57.3 - min/avg/max

Yes, still have my '06 NB
Old May 14th, 2018, 12:18   #60
bf1967
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005 Golf
Fuel Economy: 44 mixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
Yes, GDE is one of the few that make a tune for the Ram. There is another big tuner but I think they only operate in Canada. I'm thinking about it but might wait until I have the travel trailer and need the extra power to tow. They can also tune for engine braking. My only issue is that you either have to take the truck to them, southern Michigan, or send the ECM or purchase one from them. So you're without a vehicle while getting the tune.

Here's a link: http://www.greendieselengineering.co...ne/2_37.action

Thanks!

Mods so far: RC1+, G60/VR6, Bilstein TCs, Zerostart Htr, ScanGauge II, DG Panzer Plate/FMJ , euroswitch, blue euro mirrors, (Vent,Muffler)ectomy, WD Collar Mod, Sirius
bf1967 is offline   Reply With Quote