Power Loss at 3000-3200RPM

Ran

TDI
rrritch518
I have a 2001 Jetta TDI with 56,000 miles. I have this annoying problem with what feels like a boost dumb consistently at 3000RPM, after 3200 the boost begins to rebuild but as you can imagine accelerations suffers. The engine pulls hard up to 3000RPM. Any suggestions?

fo fo weed

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB
when I bought my Bug it had 36,000 and shortly thereafter when I'd wind it up to 3,000 rpm's all boost was lost...long story short, the dealer replaced the turbo under warranty. they said it was spitting a code for LOW BOOST PRESURE but could not tell me what was exactly wrong; and they returned the old one before I could look at it. Hope this isn't too discouraging but it sounds close to my problem.

Ran

TDI
rrritch518
Thanks for the prompt reply. I have an extended power train warranty. I'll take to the dealer to see what they say.

Ciao,
Ran

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
This problem description is just so classic, and tricky to diagnose without the right tool. Here is what I did for my car with the same symptoms:

Using VagCom you log throttle position, rpm, MAF actual, MAF specified, MAP actual,and MAP specified. (MAP=Manifold Absolute Pressure or Boost). Then with engine fully warmed up, 100% throttle in 3rd gear or higher from 2000-5000rpm, repeat 5 times without getting a speeding ticket. Turn off logging and look at the data. (or send it to me for analyis, I do probability distribution fitting to the paired data) MAF's are usually pretty easy as they work, or are flaky and go to the dreaded 500 number.

On my car it was the MAF which is fairly common. For others it is boost controller hmmm N79 I think. Less common is actual turbocharger, though not unheard of.