Can you increase the range for remote window operation?

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
I love this feature but am disappointed with the short range. I have to be less than 10' from the car to get it to work. Is there anyway to get this feature to work farther away from the car?

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Yes.

Like most things what works via RF, you need a bigger antenna. This has been discussed a hojillion times - check the HOW TOs thread in TDI 101. IIRC, it's the 'copper' wire with clear insulation which is the antenna.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
The signal is the same. Did we enable auto up or "hold the button until it's up as far as you want it"

I have auto up, as soon as it starts going up I can let go and it closes all the way. This feature seems to be more suited to long distance operation. Sticking it under your chin works though!!

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Yeah, on my 02 GTI, I was able to reroute that wire. It was in the dash area and I rerouted it up the a pillar toward the roof. It was amazing how much further it would reach. At least 150'. I had to watch when I hit the button or the doors would actually lock back before I could get to the car. Haha.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Maybe I didn't make myself clear about this, I'll start over. My remote's range is fine for lock/unlock, probably has a range of 75' or there abouts. What I'm saying is I cannot get the window feature to work at that range. Is that normal? I have to be less than 10' from the car for the window feature to work. IDK. I would like the window feature to work at the same distance as the lock/unlock.

Has anyone else noticed this before? Is this normal?

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
D-Cell_Mekanick said:
My remote's range is fine for lock/unlock, probably has a range of 75' or there abouts. What I'm saying is I cannot get the window feature to work at that range. Is that normal?
This roughly mimics the behavior of my Golf. Since it has to receive a continuous signal to get the windows to roll down, the range is much shorter.

Have you tried replacing the remote battery?

BrentRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have many. Now a Golf TSI.
Holding the remote up to your chin seems to extend the range. It sounds silly but I have done experiments to confirm this. I think your body acts as an antenna booster.

BrentRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have many. Now a Golf TSI.
Here's scientific testing of the key fob to the chin theory:
http://www.remcom.com/examples/keyless-entry.html
A quote from the electrical engineer who conducted the study:
We found that holding the key to the chin greatly increased the currents flowing in the hand and chest regions compared with other positions, these currents then radiating a signal roughly four times as powerful as with the key in other positions.​

pbraunton

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
D-Cell_Mekanick said:
Maybe I didn't make myself clear about this, I'll start over. My remote's range is fine for lock/unlock, probably has a range of 75' or there abouts. What I'm saying is I cannot get the window feature to work at that range. Is that normal? I have to be less than 10' from the car for the window feature to work. IDK. I would like the window feature to work at the same distance as the lock/unlock.

hello

on my 03' I have the same issue, my window up/down was done by wingnut, and they will only work if I am about 10 - 15' from the car, but the lockand unlock will easily work up to about 100' away!!!

Might try re-routing the antenna wire as suggested and see if it helps? Anyone k ow where the wire is located? (I will search when I am home, but am on the iPhone now)

I will report back if it changes anything!!!

pbraunton

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
D-Cell_Mekanick said:

hello

on my 03' I have the same issue, my window up/down was done by wingnut, and they will only work if I am about 10 - 15' from the car, but the lockand unlock will easily work up to about 100' away!!!

Might try re-routing the antenna wire as suggested and see if it helps? Anyone k ow where the wire is located? (I will search when I am home, but am on the iPhone now)

I will report back if it changes anything!!!

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Yeah, I would think if you reroute it and have a greater range for unlock/lock, it should increase, though maybe not as far, your range for window up/down as well.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I've also tried it with the remote under the chin and sticking the other arm out.