New to Passat world

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Hello,

I just retired my 2011 JSW TDI with 281,535 miles on the clock with stage 2 malone 2 tune plus mods on my signature. She is on the process of buyback. :( will miss her.

Anyway, I got the 2015 Passat TDI with 22k on the odometer. She’s in decent shape overall. Completely stock from factory. I would like to tune her and dof/egr and downpipe and def deleted. Any recommendation? She is very different from my soon to be old TDI. Old tdi has CJAA. I noticed the front of the engine has completely different intake. Is she comptiable with CP3?

She has stage 1 fix and needs stage 2 fix and I just registered her on vw emission process online and found out dealer didnt do it so I grabbed the chance to opt in and get funds for it. Anyway I was told she now have 2 years and unlimited mileage? Can anyone verify that?

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
I'm no expert on tuning, but maybe I can help with your other questions.

If you bought the car CPO from a VW dealer, you have a 2 year bumper-to-bumper warranty. After having the fix done on the car, you get an 11-year / 162k mile warranty. Details can be found here:
https://www.vwdiesellookup.com/pdf/VWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure_Gen3_Final.pdf

One thing to keep in mind, though, is having a tune done MAY void your warranty from VW.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
From what I saw there was some development for the CP3 on the CVCA, but I'm pretty sure that project was abandoned since the scandle came out. I'm also curious if there have been any decrese in the HPFP failure rate for the Gen3 engine, but the availability of data is lacking.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
She has stage 1 fix and needs stage 2 fix and I just registered her on vw emission process online and found out dealer didnt do it so I grabbed the chance to opt in and get funds for it. Anyway I was told she now have 2 years and unlimited mileage? Can anyone verify that?
I registered mine for the phase 2 fix on the VW site on 5/12. The system initially said my car was eligibile for the phase 2 fix and $2500 restitution, but after my documents were reviewed I got an email on 5/23 from VW stating:

Based on the documents and information you have provided as part of your claim with Reference No. xxxxxxxxx, you are not eligible to participate in the 2.0-Liter Settlement Claims Program. The reason(s) for your ineligibility is described below.

Vehicle is not eligible - Your vehicle is not eligible to participate in the Settlement Program.

I shouldn’t be eligible as I didn’t own the car in September 2015, so no big deal. I need to verify that I can get the phase 2 fix done as planned, but I can’t see them getting out of that.

The warranty on my 2015 is the 2 yr/unlimited mileage plus the 11 yr/162K mile emissions warranty. I wouldn’t tune the car and lose the warranty.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I got the very same message today. I am not happy. I will make a call to them and see why it was declined. Are you planning to call them about your situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
I got the very same message today. I am not happy. I will make a call to them and see why it was declined. Are you planning to call them about your situation?
We were declined because the cars were bought back and retitled to VW Michigan, meaning that VW already paid out full restitution on the VIN. I didn’t expect them to actually pay me anything, so I’m not upset nor am I going to pursue it. If you get a different answer I’d be interested in hearing it.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting. My car was brought back to Mich then back here in Florida. That baffled me about why was it in Michigan? They are known for serious usage of salt on road hence causing serious rust issues. I double checked the Passat of any unusual white spotting on motor but nope crystal clear like she never saw the snow before.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
The Carfax for mine showed it was originally sold in southern CA, bought back in southern CA, titled to VW corporate in Michigan, sold to the dealer in NV, then I purchased it. My car sat in the desert for 6 months between buyback and the dealer getting it to sell it to me. It never made it to Michigan, just titled there. I doubt your car ever saw Michigan during the buyback process.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Yeah, all the 2015s I looked at that were buy backs showed registration in Michigan on the Carfax reports. Most of the cars though seemed to stay in the region it was sold back from. An exception was our '15, which I found by Googling the VIN. We sold it back in SC and it was for sale in OH. I missed getting it back, it only had 18k miles. It wasn't white though, which was part of the argument presented to my wife on what I wanted.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
You were declined because there is only one buyback/restitution available per vehicle. The buyback option was chosen by the previous owner. Therefore Vw has fulfilled their obligation to make the owner at the time of the scandal "whole" again.

However, that does not negate Vw's obligation to fix the vehicle. The exhaust modification still applies to your vehicle. You just have to take it in to your dealer of choice.

You can't be upset about not being eligible for the restitution. That would be like expecting reparations from Egyptians because your Jewish ancestors were forced to build pyramids.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
Interesting. My car was brought back to Mich then back here in Florida. That baffled me about why was it in Michigan? They are known for serious usage of salt on road hence causing serious rust issues. I double checked the Passat of any unusual white spotting on motor but nope crystal clear like she never saw the snow before.

They all show registration in Michigan, but weren't physically moved there. It's just where they are all titled during the buyback process. Paperwork only. Yours almost certainly never left Florida, and likely sold within not many miles of where it was turned back in.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Gotcha, thanks for your input. That made me feel better.