Possible throw out bearing failure.... Now no start??

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I have a "new to me" 2011 Golf TDI 6MT (also have MY15 GSW TDI DSG) and it's been showing (sounding) like I would need to replace the TO bearing. The tale tale rattle that would happen when clutch out and then stop as light pressure was applied to the clutch. Well, the weather is a bit cooler these days and when I went out to start the car this afternoon, I clutched in as usual, started, went to clutch out and the car lurched forward and died. (it all happened very fast, like a couple seconds fast) When I turn the key I just clicks, I can hear the ignition relay but no crank, no nothing.

I check battery, just in case and it was fine and I haven't been able to get under the car yet but if the TO bearing fails, would the sensor that tells the ECM that the clutch is depressed NOT engage, which in turn, doesn't allow the car to even crank to start?

I'll get under it tomorrow and also do some checks with VCDS but wanted to see what you all thought or would advise I look at.

Thanks!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Sounds more like a safety switch issue (on clutch pedal assembly), bad electrical connection/battery, or bad starter than anything related to the throw out bearing. Did you try starting it in neutral with clutch fully depressed?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds more like a safety switch issue (on clutch pedal assembly), bad electrical connection/battery, or bad starter than anything related to the throw out bearing. Did you try starting it in neutral with clutch fully depressed?
Thanks Man, I did try in neutral but I'll poke around in the day light today and see if I can find anything loose or any codes that stand out. I'll be a one man band today with kids at school and no one to help so might have to hold off until the weekend.

Will post back if I can sort this out or hear any additional suggestions. [emoji41]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
So I have narrowed it down to the starter OR possible starter fuse. I was able to kick start it, drive and shifted fine but parked on hill, shut off and no start again. VCDS gave terminal 30 fault code and I ran out of day light. Going to check main fuse box and make sure it's not the starter fuse (I have actually seen that be a problem in a biddies car before) and if fuses are good, will get starter. VW is VERY proud of the starter's, quite spendy, but Valeo seems to do reman with warranty so might just do a $300 rather than $500+ go around. [emoji51]

Will update again later.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
I meant to update BUT it was definitely the starter. [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
That is pricey. At least you didn't have to pull the tranny.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
That is pricey. At least you didn't have to pull the tranny.
For SURE! I do need to do the throw out bearing at some point, it's on its way out but gonna let it ride. More annoying than anything at this point. Thankfully I can do all the work on the car so it stings, just not as much as it would if I had to pay someone to do it. [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
I tell everyone who asks me how I like my tdi, "I love it, but you got to be a do it your self kind of guy."