2micron Return Fuel Filter

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
excellent, that seems easy enough, thank you. I saw the previous versions, I plan on doing that, what should I do to keep it from rattleing all over the place? would a couple of zip ties do (interlocking two, one around the stock and one around the post filter)? also, the filter there looks like a normal gas engine oil filter, should the rubber gasket be wet with oil like when doing an oil change?
1) Nothing rattles all over the place. The filter bracket is securely attached to the stock fuel filter canister. Nothing moves or rattles. Zip ties are not required.
2) the filter is either a 1 micron or a 2 micron spun glass filter (your choice). These filters are actually the filters that are designed to go on "gas" station fuel pumps. They are approved for gasoline, diesel, and biodiesel fuels. They are actually designed to be fuel filters not oil filters. Yes, they are spin on type filters and yes, you should probably wet the gasket with fuel before installing. However, the manufacturer of the filters does say that the gaskets are "pre-lubricated", but I would still use a wet finger and put some fuel on the gasket before installing the filter. The gaskets are pretty good. It does not take a lot of force to get a leak free seal.

Have Fun!

Don

Mickey_09_TDI

TDI
2009 jetta TDI 6speed
hey TNriverjet... there is a spin on filter kit adapter available. (http://nicktane.com) it is however made for the mk4. i bought one and installed it on my car right away the only thing is it deletes the thermostatic t but who cares really. i have not had any issues with it yet and its been through one of the roughest MN winters in the last 10 years. AND AND AND im running a CAT 2 micron fuel filter!! sorry its so late to the thread im deployed atm.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
His system is designed to help prevent catastrophic engine failure if the fuel pump fails/disenigrates, it is not designed to prevent a fuel pump from failing.

It is a secondary benefit as the 1 or 2 micron filter is "cleaner" than the OEM. Thus the possibility of less wear. ;) trying to justify the cost to myself. :D

DriverJon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 6M
Have been watching, as many are, both filter products... Kudos to 2micron for developing them!

My question is, has any of the early adopters have had to change a filter yet? Wondering if we have any data yet on what kind of mileage they tend to run, does a 1 micron actually fill faster than a 2 micron, etc...

Yes, your fuel may vary, etc, etc.... but I've figured there might be some changing going on, by now, even if people are changing at 10K vs when they hit the pressure limit. At least observations on how much pressure increase at a standard mileage change would be something to know...

Curious...

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
DriverJon,

I doubt anyone has hit 10k on there filter yet. I have about 7k on mine but I ran mine cross country after installing mine.

The gauge still reads the same as when I installed it back in July. I don't plan on changing mine until about 40-50K on the filter.

i'm using the one micron filter.

Last edited:

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
I have about 7500 miles on mine. No change in the gauge pressure at all. It is working so well would be easy to forget that it is installed. I force myself to remember to check the gauge about monthly just to be thorough.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
Is it possible to see a picture of both the Pure Flow and Return Flow (sorry if I got the names wrong) filtration systems installed? I'd be interested in purchasing both as a means to isolate the HPFP should it ever go kaboom. Not sure however where both add-on filters would go... doesn't seem like a whole lot of room.

wanabe

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, Laser Blue, manual transmission
Have been watching, as many are, both filter products... Kudos to 2micron for developing them!
My question is, has any of the early adopters have had to change a filter yet? Wondering if we have any data yet on what kind of mileage they tend to run, does a 1 micron actually fill faster than a 2 micron, etc...
Yes, your fuel may vary, etc, etc.... but I've figured there might be some changing going on, by now, even if people are changing at 10K vs when they hit the pressure limit. At least observations on how much pressure increase at a standard mileage change would be something to know...
Curious...
Those of you who replied did not mention whether you are using the 1 micron filter or the 2 micron filter. Would be helpful to the rest of us if you would edit your response to let us know which it is. Thanks.

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Is it possible to see a picture of both the Pure Flow and Return Flow (sorry if I got the names wrong) filtration systems installed? I'd be interested in purchasing both as a means to isolate the HPFP should it ever go kaboom. Not sure however where both add-on filters would go... doesn't seem like a whole lot of room.
Here's both of them installed on my Mk VI sedan... The Golf actually has a little more room than the sedan for the filter.

The Pure Flow Adapter is on the right, and the Contain Flow Kit is on the left.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
Certainly!!! Here are some pictures of both the Contain and Pure Flow kits:

JaredC01 has recently added pictures from an MK6 sedan here:
www.2microntech.com
There is just enough room to allow an easy install, as well as removing and replacing the filter, although a bit tight!!
Thanks for asking!!!
Andrew

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the pics, but maybe I'm missing it. I only see the factory filter and a secondary spin-on filter. Where's the third one?

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Thanks for the pics, but maybe I'm missing it. I only see the factory filter and a secondary spin-on filter. Where's the third one?
There is no third one. The Pure Flow adapter isn't a filter, it's a mechanical separation of the low pressure and high pressure sides of the HPFP. See below.

Diagram of the standard HPFP.

Diagram of the Pure Flow Adapter on the HPFP.

Notice the HPFP gets fresh fuel from the electric fuel pump with the adapter.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
Aha... it's clear now. I was thinking of two separate filters based on what I had read earlier. I guess there's the original 5-10 micron kit which was then improved to use the spin on filter, plus the Pure Flow adapter which sits on top of the HPFP.

What's involved with installing the Pure Flow adapter? Is this something I can do at home with normal hand tools and no vagcom?

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Mostly correct... The stock fuel filter still supplies the incoming fuel. The spin-on Contain Flow filter ONLY filters the RETURN fuel from the HPFP (which the stock fuel filter doesn't do). The fuel going to the HPFP is still filtered down to the factory 5 micron rating, then further filtered on the return back to the tank.

The Pure Flow Adapter is quite easily installed at home (I installed mine in my driveway).

Worth noting, the Contain Flow kit is the one that really needs the VCDS cable. If you don't have VCDS, you'll have to use a jumper box or extra car battery to manually run both of the fuel pumps (the one in the tank and the booster pump just before the HPFP).

It's considerably easier to do with the cable, and there's probably someone near you with a cable they're willing to lend / help you with. There's a whole thread on here for just that purpose. If you want me to find you a link, I can do that.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
Mostly correct... The stock fuel filter still supplies the incoming fuel. The spin-on Contain Flow filter ONLY filters the RETURN fuel from the HPFP (which the stock fuel filter doesn't do). The fuel going to the HPFP is still filtered down to the factory 5 micron rating, then further filtered on the return back to the tank.

The Pure Flow Adapter is quite easily installed at home (I installed mine in my driveway).

Worth noting, the Contain Flow kit is the one that really needs the VCDS cable. If you don't have VCDS, you'll have to use a jumper box or extra car battery to manually run both of the fuel pumps (the one in the tank and the booster pump just before the HPFP).

It's considerably easier to do with the cable, and there's probably someone near you with a cable they're willing to lend / help you with. There's a whole thread on here for just that purpose. If you want me to find you a link, I can do that.
Well, I've been meaning to buy a cable for some time. I suppose I should do that soon.

Whenever I change my fuel filter, I usually just top of with diesel or whatever diesel additive I have laying around. I've changed my fuel filter twice now without priming and have suffered no ill effects. I was wondering if the same thing can be done; i.e. pre-filling the spin-on fuel filter? Whatever little air is left would go back to the tank and vent out there.

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
You're picture is much better than the one I did. :D :cool:
Quick work with Photoshop... ;)

Well, I've been meaning to buy a cable for some time. I suppose I should do that soon.

Whenever I change my fuel filter, I usually just top of with diesel or whatever diesel additive I have laying around. I've changed my fuel filter twice now without priming and have suffered no ill effects. I was wondering if the same thing can be done; i.e. pre-filling the spin-on fuel filter? Whatever little air is left would go back to the tank and vent out there.
In theory it should be doable. It might be a bit difficult to fill the filter after it's on the car though, unless you remove the banjo bolt and use a funnel.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
Ahh, didn't think about the banjo bolt/funnel idea. That's a good one. I was looking at a few of the pictures and realized that some diesel would definitely spill out when tilting the filter to get it on or off. I suppose at the same time, one could also use a siphon through the banjo bolt hole to drain the filter when it's time for a replacement.

Can additional o-ring seals be purchased for the banjo bolt?

Also, I found the install manual for the filter on 2micron's website but no documentation for the Pure Flow adapter. Will that be available online soon?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
!!!! Surprised someone from LasVegas didn't beat both of us to the pictures!!Thanks,
Andrew
LOL. I'm at work today (it's now lunch time), so I had limited time to read and post pictures. I can't spend a lot of time on-line when a I have a room full of students sitting in front of me expecting me to teach them what they need to learn. I have already posted pics of my install (on a Mk5, a 2009 TDI) in another thread. Here's my pics: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4240010&postcount=63

The thread above actually has pics of several peoples installations, as well as installation tips and other details. It would probably be worth reading before an installation. This is the whole thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=389392

Have Fun!

Don

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Ahh, didn't think about the banjo bolt/funnel idea. That's a good one. I was looking at a few of the pictures and realized that some diesel would definitely spill out when tilting the filter to get it on or off. I suppose at the same time, one could also use a siphon through the banjo bolt hole to drain the filter when it's time for a replacement.

Can additional o-ring seals be purchased for the banjo bolt?

Also, I found the install manual for the filter on 2micron's website but no documentation for the Pure Flow adapter. Will that be available online soon?
Some diesel will spill out when tilting the filter, though for the initial install, just put the whole unit on with the filter already installed.

The banjo bolt hole is fine for filling, but I doubt you'd be able to use it to siphon fuel out since the banjo bolt doesn't run to the center section of the filter element.

The seals on the banjo bolts aren't o-rings, and are reusable.

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
Wow, I have a busy day at work and see that I missed posting my own pics! :)

Take a look at the link Don posted. It does help to review the installation. I feel anyone with basic wrenching skills can tackle this at home. Very few tools are needed.

kentr6727

TDI
None
I'm impressed - great product ! ! I've got to get both parts for sure....

Question - With the Assurance pin getting pushed into the HPFP port... does it stay in there when the HPFP gets replaced ?? Any concerns to consider when replacing the HPFP when this/these mods are installed??

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Question - With the Assurance pin getting pushed into the HPFP port... does it stay in there when the HPFP gets replaced ?? Any concerns to consider when replacing the HPFP when this/these mods are installed??
I guess the assurance pin could be removed from the old pump, cleaned, and the O-ring replaced and it could be reused. However, I am also sure that Andrew (2micron) would be happy to sell you a new pin for a small cost. Also, every kit actually ships with 2 pins (2 different sizes - depending on age of your pump). Newer pumps use the smaller pin. If your car uses the larger pin (like mine), you already have a new replacement pin for a new pump. I did not throw it away, just in case.

Have Fun!

Don

JonFord

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Think I will keep the old 310,000 mile ALH with it's antiquated P pump. I can rebuild the whole car to include paint the car for what a HPFP failure $$$ can do to you.