Phoenix to Denver

BlueGraphite'10TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI 6Man
Well my parents and I are taking a trip in July. Phoenix to Denver. Taking my TDI. We went last year to Idaho, but took their 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid. Looking forward to the drive. The first day we are driving through the 4 corners and stopping, then staying overnight in Durango. Any sights that are a must see? Then we are driving and staying about an hour from Denver since it is cheaper. Going to make day trips to places around. Any ideas? We got a great deal on an extended sty hotel. Book for a week and get a suite for 38$ a night. Not too shabby. Its only about 500 miles to Durango, easily in the TDI's range. Looking forward to documenting the MPG. Does anyone know the various elevation changes? We are pretty low here south of Phoenix, and Denver is obviously pretty high up. Any fun mountain ranges along the way? ;)

markman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI w/DSG; White Gold,Cornsilk Build Date 03/11
Well my parents and I are taking a trip in July. Phoenix to Denver. Taking my TDI. We went last year to Idaho, but took their 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid. Looking forward to the drive. The first day we are driving through the 4 corners and stopping, then staying overnight in Durango. Any sights that are a must see? Then we are driving and staying about an hour from Denver since it is cheaper. Going to make day trips to places around. Any ideas? We got a great deal on an extended sty hotel. Book for a week and get a suite for 38$ a night. Not too shabby. Its only about 500 miles to Durango, easily in the TDI's range. Looking forward to documenting the MPG. Does anyone know the various elevation changes? We are pretty low here south of Phoenix, and Denver is obviously pretty high up. Any fun mountain ranges along the way? ;)
That sounds like a fun trip. The four corners area has some neat Indian Ruins and Durango is a fun town. If you have time while in Durango look into taking the Durango to Silverton narrow gauge railroad, it's a great trip. Driving to Denver from Durango will get you over 11,000 feet if you go over Wolf Creek pass (hwy 160). I've driven that route 20-30 times and it's a nice drive. Denver is a great city and there are a lot of sights worth seeing within daytrip range. Rocky Mountain National Park is fantastic and you can get up to 12,000 feet on trail ridge road.

Have fun!

axnels2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta sportswagen
Mesa Verde is pretty spectacular place if you like ancient ruins and scenery.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
Mesa Verde is pretty spectacular place if you like ancient ruins and scenery.
One of the better National Parks but it will be extremely hot there in July and I'm guessing lots of tourists. If you go make it early AM or late afternoon.

Durango is a pretty cool town just to hang out in if you have a brief stay. I recommend the old Hotels like the Palmer as its nice and right in the middle of the town.

Lots of stuff in Denver these days; the new art museum downtown is amazing. Colorado Springs has garden of the gods and cave of the winds for tourist stuff. If it were me i would ditch the hotel in Denver and head for the cool air of the mountains for the July timeline. The Ski areas offer pretty cheap rates in the summer time.