'02 Beetle ALH won't start

epabrown

TDI
2002 VW Beetle
Hello everyone:

I'm new to this forum and first wanted to tell you how impressive the section on troubleshooting a no-start is that Whitedog put together. It helped me to get some things sorted out but I still need some help.

The problem I'm having with getting my engine started comes closest to the #7 "No Start" scenario - runs for a second and a half and quits. However, it's not quite fitting the immobilizer profile as the cause.

The check engine light, the glow plug light, and the immobilizer light all come on and go out after a few seconds before the engine begins to crank. I checked the anti-shudder valve and it's open. And if I put my hand on the 109 relay it clicks with the key turned on, but then it or something else clicks again and it seems to drop back out. I thought it might be what was turning off the fuel cut-off solenoid, but I jumped around the relay and the solenoid still remained energized for only 4 seconds. So I don't think it's the 109 relay either.

From everything I've read in the forum and in your troubleshooting section, I'm not finding anybody with the same symptoms that I'm experiencing. Is the fuel shut-off soleniod designed to kick on for just a few seconds like that and then turn back off? Could the immobilizer still be the cause of my problem even if the light is going out and not flashing? Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Epa