Front wheel bearing tool Q...

Motor7

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta, 234K miles(SOLD)
The "growl" is back. It has to be a bearing so i ordered a set. AutoZone does not carry the bearing tool that has the abs adapter plate to pull the hub. It looks like this(borrowed from VWvortex):

I know these are expensive to buy. Any suggestions or should i just build one myself?

RD

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
You should get a two arm puller with a cross support, they have them at harbor freight... sometimes the races get stuck.

There's actually three tools for this job, one to pull the hub off, one to pull the race off, and one to press the new one on.

IIRC, the dealer only charges like an hour to do one... the question is... will your technician know what he's doing?

Motor7

Veteran Member
TDI
Negative.......Harper VW of Knoxville quoted me $570 labor only. I'm waiting for Eurotech(also in Knox) to call me back with a quote.
Getting the race out is not that big of deal using a dremel. I have cut the race 3/4 thru then just knock them out with a punch. It's the hub that i am worried about pulling.

RD

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
geeze....a press and a modded puller can do the same job in 30 min....

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
I had a local shop replace both ball joints, the drivers side wheel bearing and finishing it up with an alignment.

Total labor cost? $309 for all!

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Slide hammer with hub puller attachment. Cut the race with a dremmel.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Motor7 said:
Negative.......Harper VW of Knoxville quoted me $570 labor only.
well I guess that means your tech doesn't know what he's doing... that's 5+ hours at the local dealer's shop rate... wonder if they charge for the wash on top...

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
alphaseinor said:
You should get a two arm puller with a cross support, they have them at harbor freight... sometimes the races get stuck.
Do you have a HF part # (or link)?

I'll be doing this job very shortly, and want to make sure I have all the parts before proceeding.

I already have an OTC press to push out the Spindle... I'm wondering if a slide hammer can be attached to that to get the hub off.

Motor7

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, i bought the HF fwd bearing set(#45210 $80) & will tackle this soon. My neighbor has a few different pullers/ slide hammer. I'll update with some pic's. Off to put in e-codes w/fogs today, then maybe we can see where we are going after dark......
RD

Spike Strip

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI Automatic !
Got Bearings? said:
I had a local shop replace both ball joints, the drivers side wheel bearing and finishing it up with an alignment.

Total labor cost? $309 for all!
Got Bearings --

Where did you take your car?

S.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Motor7 said:
OK, i bought the HF fwd bearing set(#45210 $80) & will tackle this soon. My neighbor has a few different pullers/ slide hammer. I'll update with some pic's. Off to put in e-codes w/fogs today, then maybe we can see where we are going after dark......
RD

Slide hammer with hub puller attachment. Or 3/4" threaded rod tight through the hub and slide hammer tight on end of 3/4" rod, 3-4 pulls and out it is. Cut the race with a dremmel. Also will need a big snap-ring pliers.

Motor7

Veteran Member
TDI
Update:

Started taking apart the pass side wheel this morning to do the bearing. Happened to look up at the side skirt & saw something real shiney. It was the lower pulley, the side skirt had migrated over & had been rubbing on the pulley when in left hand turns. I couldn't find the source of the noise because it hadn't rubbed thru. Pulled the skirt over & zip tied it so no more rubbing. Put the wheel back on & test drove it...all quiet.
So, that was nice not having to do a 3 hr bearing change. I did get a custom hitch hauler welded up & painted yesterday, so we are off to Manitoba for a few weeks. It will be a 3200 mile round trip, hoping to break the 50mpg mark.
Thanks for all the info suggestions. I have printed them & stuck them in the new bearing box for when i do need to change 'em.
RD