wrecked 2015 Passat TDI SE six speed manual to be auctioned

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
On 31 October at about 5:00 PM a new driver made a bad left turn into my path that lead to an unavoidable collision. All airbags were deployed and State Farm has declared the car a total loss. The car will go for auction sometime in the near future. The listing for the car is here:

https://www.iaai.com/VehicleDetails...similarVehicleItemId=&isNext=&loadRecent=true

In addition to what is available there I have a PDF of the estimate for repair of the car, which should a good starting point for anyone who might want to consider rebuilding it.

Dave

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
There has been an update at the auction site. They now have the title. It shows as "SALVAGE" and "REPAIRABLE" there, but they have not yet assigned an auction date. I will post another follow-up when the date is assigned, as there is a limited window for pre-auction inspection.

Dave

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Considering the price assigned, I agree, unless that is the "value" as if it was not crashed?

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
Considering the price assigned, I agree, unless that is the "value" as if it was not crashed?
I don't see an assigned price, only what State Farm considered the value of the car when they made the total loss decision. Likewise the estimated repair cost was developed using a tool of some sort and appears to apply retail pricing.

As I noted in the original post, I have the documents from State Farm and can make them available to anyone who might be seriously considering bidding on the car. The sticking point for many will be that all airbags were deployed. These are not cheap and installing them is nothing an untrained mechanic should attempt.

Dave

Last edited:

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
I think it's stating the cash value if repaired. So if one could get this for less than $2000 at auction and the repair estimate is accurate, it would be a decent deal. The repair cost listed is 84% of the value which is why it was totaled. Still looks like a lot of work and headache for a car worth $13.5k at the end of it all.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
I think it's stating the cash value if repaired. So if one could get this for less than $2000 at auction and the repair estimate is accurate, it would be a decent deal. The repair cost listed is 84% of the value which is why it was totaled. Still looks like a lot of work and headache for a car worth $13.5k at the end of it all.
True, if the plan is to repair it to resell it. But if the buyer actually wants the car for personal use and has the ability to repair it then this could be an exceptional deal. As a 2015 this car has the extended emissons warranty up to 162,000 miles covering virtually the entire drivetrain, fuel and exhaust systems. From my searching for a replacement I find that perhaps one out of twenty is a six speed manual, so the available stock is limited.

While replacing the car I also was told by two VW dealers that they are coming to the end of these cars that can be resold and that VW has changed the terms under which they obtain them. The net result is that I had to pay a fair bit more to replace it that I did to buy this one. Given this that 13.5k might be at the lower end of what this car could sell for.

Dave

8WR_ZJ

TDI
passat
I am a dealer in Louisiana and that is also how it is in Texas as well. Dealers wash there hands of any issues.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
I am a dealer in Louisiana and that is also how it is in Texas as well. Dealers wash there hands of any issues.

Looking at the text of the warranty I see NO mention of the word "salvage" at all. Looking at the text of the warranty I see:

"This extended emissions warranty is fully transferable to subsequent owners."

and

"Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer."

I am not a lawyer, but given this explicit text I would suspect any dealer refusing to honor the warranty might be in danger of a legal challenge. Were I a subsequent owner of this car and a dealer refused to honor the warranty I would first be on the line with VW corporate and should I not get satisfaction with a lawyer.

Dave

Last edited:

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
The car is now scheduled to be auctioned 20 December at 08:30 CST. For more infromation follow the link in the first post.

Dave

8WR_ZJ

TDI
passat
I bought a 2019 f450 at auction that had water up to the bottom of the seats. Got it working brought it in to get warranty work done on the urea sytem. No go i would be on the hook for parts labor and diagnostic fees. Asked why the said salvage title vehicles forefit all rights to warranty, tsb, or recalls. I never told them it was a salvage title either. Must have come up int the VIN. I call gmc dealer and asked them they said the samething.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
I still have to suspect that as the Extended Emissions Warranty is the result of a settlement with the US government and includes the explicit language I quoted above that the usual rules may not apply here. Anyone other than a dealer have a lawyer on retainer that could look into this? The warranty is available for anyone to download from the VW diesel settlement site, so they should have no problem reviewing the language.

Dave

Last edited:

Iowa TDI

TDI
2014 TDI Vert Beetle
This car will go to the hghest bidder with approval by state farm. It may go for $500 it may go for $5000. I belong to this auction site and you guys should all register and watch some of the deals that go thu here. 8WR is correct. A salvage title has no warranty. When you accept the car as salvaged you forfeit those rights. But still, this could go cheap. Its worth a watch,which I am....then you buy this one next. :D

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicledetails...56&itemid=34186161&sstno=26430488&RowNumber=0

Last edited:

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
the next time you see this car it will be at your local pick-apart or Mexico City

Last edited:

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
The car is now available for inspection and the page has been updated to reflect this. I would like to see the car purchased for rebuilding and restored to the road, but obviously that will be the decision of the buyer.

Dave

DizelDvica

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta
Does any of paperwork you have show what State Farm was considering salvage value is on this car?

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
Does any of paperwork you have show what State Farm was considering salvage value is on this car?
They list a "Retained Salvage Value" of $2,450.00 on the letter where they determine what they consider the "Actual Cash Value" of the car.

As noted, I can provide a copy of their estimate for the repairs if you would like to see it.

Dave

Last edited:

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
The car is now available for inspection and the page has been updated to reflect this. I would like to see the car purchased for rebuilding and restored to the road, but obviously that will be the decision of the buyer.

Dave
Air bags will kill any rebuilding ideas, car will sell for $2-4k and end up in a country that has no restrictions on airbags or it may end up in a junk yard. No VW dealer or small dealer will touch this car its salvage junk. A TDI enthusiasts may want to pick it up as a project but it would be very painful to get it back on the road.

Last edited:

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Air bags will kill any rebuilding ideas, car will sell for $2-4k and end up in a country that has no restrictions on airbags or it may end up in a junk yard. No VW dealer or small dealer will touch this car its salvage junk. A TDI enthusiasts may want to pick it up as a project but it would be very painful to get it back on the road.
You've now posted 6 times on this thread. I think all would agree here this constitutes trolling. Move along, you've stated your opinion enough. :eek:

This looks very repairable. At 45K miles, it has plenty of life left. Airbags deploying does not equate a junk car whoever states such has no experience in this department. It does affect what I personally would be willing to pay for such a project car but nothing more.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
OP, I just have to ask, if you've received your insurance settlement on this vehicle already, why are you so adamantly pushing someone to buy this? I'm sure we all appreciate the heads up on the car, but you still seem VERY "invested" with someone fixing this vehicle. If you like it so much, why didn't you push for the insurance company to repair it? "They" didn't total it, YOU agreed to ALLOW them to total it and you were compensated for your loss accordingly. Airbags are expensive to replace, especially the dashboard ones. A prospective buyer is going to have $3k in JUST air bags. On top of that, core support, hood, bumper, grille, radiator, a.c. condenser, fasteners, dashboard, paint work, seatbelts etc...

In order to have the title changed back from "salvage" to "rebuilt" you have to provide the state police with receipts for EVERYTHING. Those receipts also have to include the VIN of the vehicle the part was purchased from.

A salvage title vehicle is "worth" about 70% of what a comparable clean title vehicle is worth.

In the words of Elsa from Frozen "Let it Go"

Last edited:

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
You've now posted 6 times on this thread. I think all would agree here this constitutes trolling. Move along, you've stated your opinion enough. :eek:
This looks very repairable. At 45K miles, it has plenty of life left. Airbags deploying does not equate a junk car whoever states such has no experience in this department. It does affect what I personally would be willing to pay for such a project car but nothing more.
Using my experience to give members a heads up, I'm a dealer, I know exactly what it takes to fix this car, I've done about 200 beetle, jetta and passat tdi's and Kia souls, I agree with the above post. Guess you have nothing better to do in Canada but keep track of my posts, Oh I now posted 7 times. This should get me another months suspension. 10 times the OP tried to sell one of us this car, 7 times I told him its not as good a deal as he thinks. You'd be upside down very quickly and with what's being said about the 15's that have the fix and how bad they perform this would be another reason to stay away.

Last edited:

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
OP, I just have to ask, if you've received your insurance settlement on this vehicle already, why are you so adamantly pushing someone to buy this? I'm sure we all appreciate the heads up on the car, but you still seem VERY "invested" with someone fixing this vehicle. If you like it so much, why didn't you push for the insurance company to repair it? "They" didn't total it, YOU agreed to ALLOW them to total it and you were compensated for your loss accordingly. Airbags are expensive to replace, especially the dashboard ones. A prospective buyer is going to have $3k in JUST air bags. On top of that, core support, hood, bumper, grille, radiator, a.c. condenser, fasteners, dashboard, paint work, seatbelts etc...

In order to have the title changed back from "salvage" to "rebuilt" you have to provide the state police with receipts for EVERYTHING. Those receipts also have to include the VIN of the vehicle the part was purchased from.

A salvage title vehicle is "worth" about 70% of what a comparable clean title vehicle is worth.

In the words of Elsa from Frozen "Let it Go"
Yes, I have received a total loss settlement from State Farm, although as they indicated I have filed with them for additional compensation as it cost more to replace the car than they paid me.

I guess I am having a hard time letting it go because we had planned to own it for the next sixteen years, just like we have our 1999 Jetta TDI. Given that the 2015 TDI six speed manuals are relatively rare it seems a shame for one to go for parts as opposed to being restored to its proper use. As noted it would take someone with the expertise and interest to rebuild the car, but of the $11,500 estimated repair cost $2,700 is labor and the parts are quoted at retail rates.

I just hate to see a good car like this one taken off the road. I guess I'm not the only one or there wouldn't be so many replies on this thread or people bothering to take the time to read it.

In any case, may God bless and grant everyone reading this thread a Blessed Christmas and New Year.

Dave

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Yes, I have received a total loss settlement from State Farm, although as they indicated I have filed with them for additional compensation as it cost more to replace the car than they paid me.

I guess I am having a hard time letting it go because we had planned to own it for the next sixteen years, just like we have our 1999 Jetta TDI. Given that the 2015 TDI six speed manuals are relatively rare it seems a shame for one to go for parts as opposed to being restored to its proper use. As noted it would take someone with the expertise and interest to rebuild the car, but of the $11,500 estimated repair cost $2,700 is labor and the parts are quoted at retail rates.

I just hate to see a good car like this one taken off the road. I guess I'm not the only one or there wouldn't be so many replies on this thread or people bothering to take the time to read it.

In any case, may God bless and grant everyone reading this thread a Blessed Christmas and New Year.

Dave
I agree, it is a shame to see the car be taken off the road.

Happy holidays to you also.

DizelDvica

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta
Dave
I don't think this car will end up scrapped for parts, but one can't be absolutely sure. This is typical rebuilder and being lower mileage it will most likely be put back together.
As far as parts/airbags, they are not as expensive as one might think. New ones yes, but for rebuild like this, used roof/front airbags with dash and seat belts can be bought for less than $1000.

My est. is around $6K to get this car back together plus auction price, most likely in $2k-$3k range.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
That Vehicles and auctions site wants $200 just to access and bid. God knows what their fees are for successful bids. Thanks.