www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old December 7th, 2019, 02:36   #16
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Sounds like you are short tripping it or driving in stop and go traffic all the time. If so that is a huge problem for these cars unless you take an active role in ensuring you drive it so it can regen when it is supposed to. Might be time to look for a different one.
Old December 7th, 2019, 05:20   #17
Matt927
Veteran Member

TDI(s): several

Out of five common rail TDI cars I have owned, I have only had one DPF crack and that is on my current vehicle. 2013 Golf purchased CPO around 44k miles and the DPF cracked about 20k miles later. Text my service advisor a picture of my black finger after swiping the exhaust and he ordered a DPF and EGR filter for me without question. A day or two before I brought it in for the replacement....it finally through threw a code.

I do 100 miles per day, and I let the regens complete before shutting off the engine if they are in progress.
Matt927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 17:09   #18
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Sounds like you are short tripping it or driving in stop and go traffic all the time. If so that is a huge problem for these cars unless you take an active role in ensuring you drive it so it can regen when it is supposed to. Might be time to look for a different one.
I hear this over and over... this statement irritates me.. most people buy this car because of the great fuel mileage and the dependability of the engine.. to say "well your not driving it right, therefore you will have problems".. good grief.. who would have known?? I'm sorry but I just don't except that reasoning..Not from what VW advertised to the public when these cars were for advertised and sale new>> GO FIGURE!.. I don't recall seeing ANY warnings about " please let the regen. finish or your car will have 2500.00 + of damage done to it"...good grief again.. This is not the buyers responsibility to monitor this.. and never was.. for the uniformed ..which is most buyers..like most wifes or the "accountant/banker/sales person/most people type buyer and NEWBIES here" This type of car sounded GREAT for someone that wanted dependability and MPG's!..But WAIT..I must monitor regens! or it will cost tons of cash! I digress....

Last edited by forrest resto`s; Yesterday at 17:18.
forrest resto`s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:02   #19
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Whether it irritates you or was disclosed by VW doesn't negate that it can be an issue and cause problems for those who do it. VW did mention it in one of their catalogs or some such for some small island that wasn't big enough for regens to occur. It is posted here somewhere from long ago.

If you want to short trip the car and have continual problems with it then fine keep on keeping on. Or you can take an active role and insure the regens occur when needed. Or knowing of this issue now sell the darn car and get something else that doesn't present this issue. Complaining to me about posting about the issue won't get you anything. I am just trying to inform those who don't know for what ever reason that this can happen. Now go down to your dealer or call VW and have it out with them.
Old Today, 07:43   #20
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

For me personally..I have let it always finish its regen..also monitor with vcds and s.g.II...I own a shop and have told others to do the same.. well after the 3rd dpf for me ( and fighting for them with VW and only 20,000 + - miles since fix) and others that also "follow the regens" have come to the conclusion that nothing will prevent the failures..with the emissions warranty we all don't want to "hit a pothole"... YET!..seems the pothole is the only solution for now..LOL!.. But alas !..that time will come!

Last edited by forrest resto`s; Today at 07:58.
forrest resto`s is online now   Reply With Quote