Heater Core replacement Splitting the box?

Dave128

TDI
96 passat B4V
First let me say that everyone here is great! The information that is shared is amazing! That being said, I need a little help.....I am right in the middle of a heater core replacement. Everything is removed down to the heater box. I want to do the "split box" removal since I finally have the AC side leak free and working very well. I removed the exposed nut from the engine side but can't find the "nut under the insulation flap". Does anyone have a picture or can tell me where this is located? I searched for some pictures and haven't been able to find any. Also, one write up has the AC box loosened to gain access to the rear clips. Which bolts/nuts are these? Are these the ones near the AC lines going into the firewall? thanks in advance.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
If I’m understanding you correctly, look at the firewall, from the engine side.

-Todd

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
there is a flap, looks like an upside down mouse hole, its under there.

Dave128

TDI
96 passat B4V
Thanks Todd, I have the 1st one off from the engine side. I can't find the second one under the insulation. Where is it in relation to the top one?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Thanks Todd, I have the 1st one off from the engine side. I can't find the second one under the insulation. Where is it in relation to the top one?
You have to dig around in the flap to find it. Often the cowl insulation isn't installed exactly where it needs to be or it comes loose and sags a little, when that happens the flap moves away from the nut and you just have to dig for it in there.

It's no fun but you'll find it eventually.

Steve