Cupped tires - looking for advice

Dlob32

TDI
2014 JSW CJAA DSG
I have a 14 JSW TDI DSG with roughly 58k miles on it. I installed Brand New Cooper CS5’s roughly 10k miles ago. I am experience some serious cupping on all 4 tires. I’ve tried rotating more frequently (every 5k miles). I’ve gotten the car aligned and haven’t seen any improvement.

I find it hard to believe any of the shocks are in need of replacement. I’ve had 2 Mk5’s before this and both car’s shocks were fine well past my current MK6’s mileage.

Anyone else experience this? I know after 10k miles these tires may be too far gone but I’d like to fix whatever is causing this before I consider putting new tires on it.

TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
My 2010 Jetta came from the factory with Continentals (225/45R17). After about 10k miles, I've noticed increased noise level inside the cabin, and the first signs of cupping on the inside edges of all 4 tires despite rotating them every 5k. I had the alignment checked both front and rear - dead centered. I checked all the bushings, arms, ball joints and shocks - perfectly fine. In the meantime, as the miles kept piling up, the noise got worse and worse. At 25k, I had enough, and despite having at least another 25k worth of life left in the Continentals, I got rid of them and bought a set of Bridgestone Drive Guard run flats. For the rest of my ownership of the vehicle (59k), I treated the new set exactly as I did the OEM Contis, but never had any of the issues I saw with the Continentals. So, I concluded that sometimes, it's not your car's fault that tires wear out like that, and you just end up with crappy set of tires.

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
I had a brand new Pontiac that had Goodyear eagle RSA on them from the factory with severe cupping before 20k

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
My 2010 Jetta came from the factory with Continentals (225/45R17). After about 10k miles, I've noticed increased noise level inside the cabin, and the first signs of cupping on the inside edges of all 4.

. So, I concluded that sometimes, it's not your car's fault that tires wear out like that, and you just end up with crappy set of tires.
I agree. Ive experianced 2 set of Contenental contis from new on my b5.5. Although they didnt cup on the Passat they were loud after minimal wear and leaked off higher air pressure but setteled.

I like the ride and wear of the generic china CPO tires. But ive got only 5k on them.

It sounds like you've covered the all the bases. I'd wonder about the Coopers

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

I don't know if this translates over to your model year but I had a cupping issue on my tires before and after the dealer replaced my rear axle bushings my tire cupping issues went away .... maybe that can help you?

Andrew

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
My 33 years of VW experience on top of my dads 4 decades has taught me to rotate my tires every 3,300 miles. It may be often, but I never have had an issue with cupping. For the record our 06 Jetta has 257,000 miles with no suspension work (other than front control arm bushings) and has never been aligned, tires wear great.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
For my money its Michelin, these cars seem real hard on tires, but the Michelin's wear great, and seem quite resistant to cupping. And I'm a real schmuck about rotations, about every 10000-15000 miles

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I had cupping of the tires on my 02 Golf, found it to be the rear axle bushings, with about 200K miles on the car. I had cupping of the tires on my 12 Passat, never found the problem before VW dieselgate took the car off my hands.