maestro idatalink with polar FIS combo???

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Anyonyone have the maestro idatalink with the polar fis combo in use? Im about to have a kenwood with idatalink SWC interface harness installed and realize I may have issuses. I am hoping they can be programmed to NOT conflict with SWC??? I admittantly have much to learn here.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I don’t have any advice I can offer, but I too would like to learn more about this. Which kenwood head unit did you go with?
Ive got the DNN992. It was the flagship model for 2014. I would have gone with a DNX 995s or DNX996xm but I came across to good of a deal to pass. I had a DNN992 in my b5.5 and absolutely loved it, has it all.

The excelon series will give the nav info to the MFD like the O.E. does using the Maestro Idatalink interface. Also the SWC can be custom set or turned off. As far as I know the Maestro will conflict with the Polar FIS.

The Polar is higher priority as the Maestro won't do near as much.

I'm hoping shutting off the maestro's right side SWC's may do it. Hopefully this will leave the polar to exclusively use the needed SWC/MFD (it uses the right side of SWC switches) with out conflict? The Polar will "shut off" but no one seems to know if this will still conflict. Either way Id prefer not having to shut it off for the nav or ? other use.

Maybe the other brands to interface? but you'd still have SWC issues???

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Did the download and pre install program for the Idatalink Maestro interface. According to the idata rep. the 2 (Polar & idatalink) should work together if they do not have conflicting commands to the SWC. Most of the optional SWC's used with the Maestro are on the left side. The right side only can use 2 switch sources, so I opted "none" for either.

Well see

@ pharcyde145
If your interested, you may want to use the demo for your car.
https://maestro.idatalink.com/weblink

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
O.K. for anyone interested. I called Maestro tech. line to ask questions. He was very interested in the Polar (Audi guy) but had never looked into it. The main questions/concerns I have is communication conflicts as the idatalink & Polar both are controlled by the SWC buttons.

My take away is:
I can pre program the idatalink for all the functions I need onto the 4 available LEFT side buttons (8 functions) and therefore not use the 2 available buttons on the right side. This leaves the right side up/down & center (menu) buttons for the Polar but I have yet to confirm this.

Last edited:

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
That's great to know that they can operate side by side without interference. My next question would be is there something that the Idatalink will show that the PolarFIS will not? Put more simply, why you are using both?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
That's great to know that they can operate side by side without interference. My next question would be is there something that the Idatalink will show that the PolarFIS will not? Put more simply, why you are using both?
Im not 100% sure of non interferance operation yet without alittle more input on which SWC buttons idatalink will need or not need. Maestro is much clearer on this as you program the switch position before installation and Polar is post install. I can only go from Polars minimal info. Of course any Polar users input is greatly appreciated.

The reason for Polar started with the huge selection of information... especially DPF & multiple temps I think VW failed to give. Far superior to idatlink in that aspect AND displays in a factory like (clean, unclutered) dash readout.
I need to use an aftermarket harness/interface for Kenwood and idata/kenwood combo assures the nav links well to the dash display. There may be others and Im open to what works best. I do like a thouroughly completed job and the cleaner and closer to O.E. the better in my book.

Last edited:

Nekit

TDI
2013 A3 TDI
Maestro RR and Polar FIS

So I installed a Kenwood DMX-906S last week in my 2013 Audi A3 TDI with the Maestro RR interface.

It worked pretty well, but was missing some of the things I hoped for. The MFD doesn't show the directions of the navigation like my factory RSN-e did. This may be because it is using CarPlay Nav? The DMX-906S doesn't have built in Nav and just uses Google or Apple Maps with Car Play. The only thing I could get the MFD to display was the first few words of songs playing.

The other thing that I am missing is the ability to display Boost pressure on the radio with the Maestro RR in "gauges". It shows EGT, RPM, Water temp, speed and a few others. Seems like I read somewhere else someone from iDatalink saying that if that data is not on the CanBus wire that they happened to choose, it won't show up.

So last week I installed a Polar FIS, to get boost, in my car and it showed up in the MFD, but when I try to set what I wanted to display it stated "Unsupported ECU". I was having the same thought process that the RR and the FIS may be conflicting with each other, so I reformatted the RR and told it not to use MFD. That doesn't seem to be working either. Next I think I will shut off , on the RR, the SWC on the left side of wheel (Audi) that controls the functions of the Polar FIS and see if that works.

Another disappointment with the FIS, but this is Audi's fault, is that the MFD display with the FIS in an Audi A3 is only two lines. A lot less info to see compared to VW.

Let me know if you find anything out on getting it to work and I'll do the same.

Thanks,
Rob

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
So I installed a Kenwood DMX-906S last week in my 2013 Audi A3 TDI with the Maestro RR interface.
It worked pretty well, but was missing some of the things I hoped for. The MFD doesn't show the directions of the navigation like my factory RSN-e did. This may be because it is using CarPlay Nav? The DMX-906S doesn't have built in Nav and just uses Google or Apple Maps with Car Play. The only thing I could get the MFD to display was the first few words of songs playing.
The other thing that I am missing is the ability to display Boost pressure on the radio with the Maestro RR in "gauges". It shows EGT, RPM, Water temp, speed and a few others. Seems like I read somewhere else someone from iDatalink saying that if that data is not on the CanBus wire that they happened to choose, it won't show up.
So last week I installed a Polar FIS, to get boost, in my car and it showed up in the MFD, but when I try to set what I wanted to display it stated "Unsupported ECU". I was having the same thought process that the RR and the FIS may be conflicting with each other, so I reformatted the RR and told it not to use MFD. That doesn't seem to be working either. Next I think I will shut off , on the RR, the SWC on the left side of wheel (Audi) that controls the functions of the Polar FIS and see if that works.
Another disappointment with the FIS, but this is Audi's fault, is that the MFD display with the FIS in an Audi A3 is only two lines. A lot less info to see compared to VW.
Let me know if you find anything out on getting it to work and I'll do the same.
Thanks,
Rob
Thanks for the detailed input
Isnt the A3 electrcal compared to the mk5 2010 JSW (lowline/red display)? That may be some of the issue? Since the DMX is app based Im thinking that may be why no nav. direction? My guess is the DMX doesnt have a compass display? The DNN/DNX has Garmin and the Kenwood tech says it will display on the MFD with the idatalink harness in my mk6 2011, I guess well see.

Thats interesting about Idatalink canbus wire choice. My RR harness takes 2 wire from the OBDII outlet with a plug (into OBDII port), or you can soldier them. Polar has various different codes for boost listed on their site. Does the idatalink use only the right side SWC.? Or is the A3 SWC switches the same as the JSW? It sounds different. I programmed the Idata to use only the left SWCs so Im hoping to polar will use the right side only. No conflict???

I didnt realize the idata used the MFD, thought it only used the head unit to display, controled by SWC & H.U.. Im not familiar with setting up the Polar yet. (Polar is after install unlike Idatalink preinstall). Kerma (Polar rep) says I can run a USB cable out from the module to work with as long as the battery is disconnected.. I want to run a USB cabble to the glovebox for the Idatalink also.

Wouldnt it be nice if the 2 were built as one unit

Last edited:

Nekit

TDI
2013 A3 TDI
Thanks for the detailed input
Isnt the A3 electrcal compared to the mk5 2010 JSW (lowline/red display)? That may be some of the issue? Since the DMX is app based Im thinking that may be why no nav. direction? My guess is the DMX doesnt have a compass display? The DNN/DNX has Garmin and the Kenwood tech says it will display on the MFD with the idatalink harness in my mk6 2011, I guess well see.

Thats interesting about Idatalink canbus wire choice. My RR harness takes 2 wire from the OBDII outlet with a plug (into OBDII port), or you can soldier them. Polar has various different codes for boost listed on their site. Does the idatalink use only the right side SWC.? Or is the A3 SWC switches the same as the JSW? It sounds different. I programmed the Idata to use only the left SWCs so Im hoping to polar will use the right side only. No conflict???

I didnt realize the idata used the MFD, thought it only used the head unit to display, controled by SWC & H.U.. Im not familiar with setting up the Polar yet. (Polar is after install unlike Idatalink preinstall). Kerma (Polar rep) says I can run a USB cable out from the module to work with as long as the battery is disconnected.. I want to run a USB cabble to the glovebox for the Idatalink also.

Wouldnt it be nice if the 2 were built as one unit
The 2013 A3 MFD is white and similar to the later VW ones, but Audi only lets idata RR use the top two lines. The steering wheel controls are different than VW. It use rolling wheels on each side and the idata RR uses the left wheel to setup.

I do have the compass on the DMX. It seems to have a GPS unit built in, it has an antenna for GPS. It just doesn't have the Garman. I think the GPS just helps the iPhone with a better antenna?

Do you have all yours installed yet?

Nekit

TDI
2013 A3 TDI
I haven't reprogrammed the RR to not use the steering wheel controls that the FIS uses yet. Currently I can access the setup screens on the FIS, but when I get to set parameters (what I want to display) it states "Unsupported Engine ECU". I'm not sure if this is true, or just a conflict with the RR. Polar states that it works with 2013 Audi A3 on their website. I have a service ticket in with their tech support, but haven't heard anything yet. Right now when I drive the car the FIS does display the MPH and water temp, I just can't change it to other things.

Next I'm going to pull the radio to get to the RR and reprogram it to not use the SWC on the left and see if that makes a difference.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
The 2013 A3 MFD is white and similar to the later VW ones, but Audi only lets idata RR use the top two lines.
I do have the compass on the DMX. It seems to have a GPS unit built in, it has an antenna for GPS. It just doesn't have the Garman. I think the GPS just helps the iPhone with a better antenna?
Do you have all yours installed yet?
Thats strange as you have the GPS ant. Both kenwood and maestro say Ill just have to disconect my oe GPS module.

Ive sourced all my components and am waiting til after the holidays to have it installed. Thats one reason I have to try to figure it out the best way in advance. Due to a motor cycle injury I cant dig in the dash like I used to.

I haven't reprogrammed the RR to not use the steering wheel controls that the FIS uses yet. Currently I can access the setup screens on the FIS, but when I get to set parameters (what I want to display) it states "Unsupported Engine ECU". I'm not sure if this is true, or just a conflict with the RR.

Polar states that it works with 2013 Audi A3 on their website. I have a service ticket in with their tech support, but haven't heard anything yet. Right now when I drive the car the FIS does display the MPH and water temp, I just can't change it to other things.

Next I'm going to pull the radio to get to the RR and reprogram it to not use the SWC on the left and see if that makes a difference.
So some of your polar and RR are on the same switches? That would seem to conflict,? Fortunately for JSW The SWC used by RR is primarily the left side. The 2 on the right I turned off to make way for the idata. I wonder what possibilities a JSW steering wheel swap would present? Golf paddle shifter/steering wheel setups are swapped..

Polar tech and thier ticket system arent very useful. Kerma, where I bought the Polar are awsome. Give them a call.

They say you can run a longer USB cable out for access. Im going to do that on the idata module too. Tech says just disconect the battery before reprogram

Last edited:

Nekit

TDI
2013 A3 TDI
Polar FIS and Maestro RR

So I reprogrammed the Maestro RR to not use the steering wheel buttons that the Polar FIS uses. It still seems to work intermittently and not at other times. I then disconnected the Maestro RR and the Polar FIS works fine. I think the RR and the FIS are having a conflict on the CANBUS at times. Next I am going to try the Polar FIS connected and the Maestro RR connected to the radio, but not the OBDII port and see if that makes any difference.

JelloSubmarine, did you get yours installed?

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
So I reprogrammed the Maestro RR to not use the steering wheel buttons that the Polar FIS uses. It still seems to work intermittently and not at other times. I then discounted the Maestro RR and the Polar FIS works fine. I think the RR and the FIS are having a conflict on the CANBUS at times. Next I am going to try the Polar FIS connected and the Maestro RR connected to the radio, but not the OBDII port and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your detailed experimenting & description.

Which unit is intermittent? What does or doesn't it do? Under what conditions?

Since the JSW has some slightly different SWC switches (no variable/roller), a slight chance Im lucky that it is somehow the canbus conflict between polar & Maestro?? Hopeful thinking. But realistically you have a good idea to unplug the OBD11 (2 wires?) and recheck. I'd sacrifice the Maestro but really don't want to. The polar support really sucks yet the Maestro is excellent, go figure.

I have a CEL issue to resolve Thursday @ VW. Then will get it to the local shop for Polar install. I promised the wife I'd get thru the holidays before starting car drama.:rolleyes: The Kenwood is sitting until the polar is in. One of the reasons for the info. gathering is to know if the Maestro will work together or I need another harness.

Did you get my pm?

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry for the laps in time. I finally got the polar up and running. Now the Kenwood.

forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=5574178#post5574178

Nekit, hows your combo. working out now?

Last edited:

Nekit

TDI
2013 A3 TDI
So I could never get the Polar FIS and the Maestro RR on the Kenwood to work well together. They would work for a bit, then start acting goofy. I think it was both trying to use the steering wheel controls. This is on a Audi A3 and I think it would work better on a VW, different controls and screen. On the A3 the Polar FIS only gets 2 lines to display on and kind of limits what you can see too. The Maestro gives me all the info I need and I sold the Polar.

Jellowsubmarine did you get yours to work?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
So I could never get the Polar FIS and the Maestro RR on the Kenwood to work well together. They would work for a bit, then start acting goofy. I think it was both trying to use the steering wheel controls. This is on a Audi A3 and I think it would work better on a VW, different controls and screen. On the A3 the Polar FIS only gets 2 lines to display on and kind of limits what you can see too. The Maestro gives me all the info I need and I sold the Polar.

Jellowsubmarine did you get yours to work?
Sorry to hear that. I was wondering about the a3's "variable roller" switches. Maybe at issue somehow? I have the R side up, down and center button used leaving the L side. My polar is all up and running well with only an update that I need to load to fix the oil pressure reading. Ive been watching the outputs closely and have gotten much value from the data. We'll see how the tune I plan on getting effects EGT, oil, Dpf temps etc...

And no I havent got the Kenwood in yet.:rolleyes:. I know, Im embarrassingly slow getting things done sometimes. I have a few custom plugs and switches I want done with the unit. Did unplugging the obd II plug for the Maestro cure the conflicting issues? It wouldnt be prefered but doable?

I p.m.ed you, guess you may not have gotten them. But what part of Indiana ddo you live? I was raised in the Warsaw/Winona Lake area

d_lapt

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT
Sorry to hear that. I was wondering about the a3's "variable roller" switches. Maybe at issue somehow? I have the R side up, down and center button used leaving the L side. My polar is all up and running well with only an update that I need to load to fix the oil pressure reading. Ive been watching the outputs closely and have gotten much value from the data. We'll see how the tune I plan on getting effects EGT, oil, Dpf temps etc...

And no I havent got the Kenwood in yet.:rolleyes:. I know, Im embarrassingly slow getting things done sometimes. I have a few custom plugs and switches I want done with the unit. Did unplugging the obd II plug for the Maestro cure the conflicting issues? It wouldnt be prefered but doable?

I p.m.ed you, guess you may not have gotten them. But what part of Indiana ddo you live? I was raised in the Warsaw/Winona Lake area
Hi @JELLOWSUBMARINE ,
I have a 2014 Sportwagen TDI and have had the Maestro RR with my Kenwood DMX7705S for a couple of years now. I just got the Polar FIS PF04 with the latest 0.3 firmware and am having the exact same problem as @Nekit , although I see he sold his. It never even occurred to me that there might be a problem.
Sometimes it will work fine and others my DRLs will flash on and off, my turn signals will stop working, and I'll get a message for "Drive Mode selection button defective".
Were you ever able to get it working? If I can't get it working and can figure out how to get EGT working on my Ultraguage, I may return the Polar and go back to that. I might reach out to AutoPolar and iDataLink support but i see other have in the past with no success.
Thanks

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I don’t have any advice I can offer, but I too would like to learn more about this. Which kenwood head unit did you go with?
I eventually gave up the remaned DNN992 for a new DNX995s. Mostly for the updated features.

Im just getting used to its features. Some features overlap and of course are more total. But the Maestro does present them well. I guess my reason is is "if some are good then more is Gooder"!

Polar FIS and Maestro RR

So I reprogrammed the Maestro RR to not use the steering wheel buttons that the Polar FIS uses. It still seems to work intermittently and not at other times. I then disconnected the Maestro RR and the Polar FIS works fine. I think the RR and the FIS are having a conflict on the CANBUS at times. Next I am going to try the Polar FIS connected and the Maestro RR connected to the radio, but not the OBDII port and see if that makes any difference.

Im slow but unlike the rabbit (VW pun intended) I eventually I make it to the finish line. Yes its up and running. Kenwood SWC's on the left, Idata polar fis.on the right. I first proved out the polar fis operation then turned it off and have temporarily left it off for a bi annual smog check. I've just installed the kenwood and have been confirming all operation along with the left side SWC's. So far so good. When Im satisfied I'll turn the polar back on to confirm operation.

Hi @JELLOWSUBMARINE ,
I have a 2014 Sportwagen TDI and have had the Maestro RR with my Kenwood DMX7705S for a couple of years now. I just got the Polar FIS PF04 with the latest 0.3 firmware and am having the exact same problem as @Nekit , although I see he sold his. It never even occurred to me that there might be a problem.
Sometimes it will work fine and others my DRLs will flash on and off, my turn signals will stop working, and I'll get a message for "Drive Mode selection button defective".
Were you ever able to get it working? If I can't get it working and can figure out how to get EGT working on my Ultraguage, I may return the Polar and go back to that. I might reach out to AutoPolar and iDataLink support but i see other have in the past with no success.
Thanks
So far they both share the SWC's (L = Kenwood R = polar). They are both installed and working separately but I. Have yet to turn the polar back on after my recent radio upgrade. If I have no conflicting issues I can only guess there may be a wiring issue on your end. I went thru one shop who threw up their arms over wiring colors and limited info. and more or less subbed it out to a super smart stereo guy to iron it out. So far so good, its not your standard plug and play. Stick with it you'll love it.