Back in the saddle.... maybe

Reed067

TDI
12 Sportwagon
I was on here a while back thinking about buying a TDI of some sort we bailed out last time because of diesel-gate I’m sure many did and others kept their cars.
My 01 Subaru died and I ended up buying a MK4 2.0 Golf my wife bought her another Subaru Outback.

Liking the Golf so far, love three tight gearing “it’s a manual.” Gas mileage isn’t too terrible either it’s. 5 door been doing little things that were way past done when I bought it. This is just a car to get me back and forth to work not much else. The previous owner did some really stupid things to it and now I’m the one fixing them. ?
But I’m back still wanting a TDI. Found a 2013 Golf with a DSG drove it today loved it pretty quick considering everything. Handling was very good too.

The car has rough 90K on it Very clean and with VWs new fix and the warranty they are offering with the cars it’s highly tempted to take the plunge here. I like the IDEA of the DSG but I have to question its reliability over a manual. ? I’m assuming that everyone here knows about the fix and the warranty VW is offering, just in case I posted the link before. The dealer who has this Golf knows about the fix but they told me that as a dealer VW won’t fix it. It has to be a owner. ?
Any advice would be VERY helpful please.

https://www.klipnik.com/best-used-cars/you-should-probably-buy-a-used-volkswagen-tdi-right-now/

Reed067

TDI
12 Sportwagon
Has the modification been done?
https://www.vwdiesellookup.com/
(Use capital letters)

This is how it read once I typed the VIN number in.

The vehicle has an Extended Emissions Warranty that runs for 10 years or 120,000 miles from the original in-service date. Please see your VW dealership for additional information including the vehicle's in-service date.

In addition, and concurrently, the Extended Emissions Warranty runs for 4 years or 48,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the date of modification or first dealer resale post-modification. Your vehicle was modified on Feb 13, 2018 and 90,345 miles. Please see your VW dealership for additional information on the vehicle's post-modification dealer re-sale date.
So that would be a no.
��

Last edited:

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
Looks to me that the modification has been done, or am I missing something.

On mine there is a decal on the underside of the hood, aft driver's side.

JD_2012GolfTDI

TDI
2012 Golf Kerma tuned
I like the IDEA of the DSG but I have to question its reliability over a manual. ?

The dealer who has this Golf knows about the fix but they told me that as a dealer VW won’t fix it. It has to be a owner. ?
Any advice would be VERY helpful please.
No issues with DSG reliability.

'The fix' must be done by VW before re-sold. It should be denoted on underside of hood, as others mentioned. Good luck! I bought my 2012 4 door TDI Golf in May for $9,500 and I'm very happy with it.

Reed067

TDI
12 Sportwagon
Looks to me that the modification has been done, or am I missing something.
On mine there is a decal on the underside of the hood, aft driver's side.

No issues with DSG reliability.
'The fix' must be done by VW before re-sold. It should be denoted on underside of hood, as others mentioned. Good luck! I bought my 2012 4 door TDI Golf in May for $9,500 and I'm very happy with it.

Looks like I missed something as well going back next week to get a better look at it, will check underneath the hood while I’m there. I’m guessing the modification was done before the dealer got ahold of it.
I only got a quick drive with it planning to go back soon and have another drive.

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
There should be a couple of ways to determine the fix completion, the first is the sticker, the second is by entering you VIN on this website (https://www.vwdiesellookup.com). A this is to see if the dealer will give you print out of the CarFax (or some other information reporting center that tells you about registration information). You can use this to see when VWoA bought the vehicle (look for registration date in MI, but this doesn't mean the vehicle went there), and then see when the selling dealer acquired it with the time in between being the time the vehicle sat idle.

If it was longer than 6 months ask to see what work was performed to the vehicle by the selling dealer, typical things they should change are tires (due to flat spots, weathering/cracking due to age), brakes (rusty rotors, seized pads etc), fluids (coolant, oil, DSG fluid is changed every 40k, brake fluid if older than 2 years). Also ask if the timing belt is original, because it should be changed around 110K or 10 years I think.

If it was a private owner, who didn't accept the buyback, there should still be a record of the "fix" if it was preformed. VW was the only avenue for completing the fix, so if there's no record that probably means no extended emissions warranty either. Which might also mean the vehicle either has the original software still and might not/will not be emissions compliant if that's something you have to think about. If the selling dealer isn't a VW dealer, talk to a service manager at a nearby VW dealership about possible steps forward if you decide to purchase the vehicle.

I can't speak to the DSG, I have a 6MT, but since it's got clutch packs it has to be heaps better than any slush box with a torque converter. Meaning it will "lock up" and transmit power better at lower rpms which is where the TDI shines.

My JSW doesn't like to sit, but if you can keep it up to date with the serviceable items and use it often it can and will be rewarding. Besides, these are all important things to know and understand about the vehicle and could give you some leverage in negotiation if they've left things that either should have been done or will come due in the very near future.

Last edited:

Reed067

TDI
12 Sportwagon
There should be a couple of ways to determine the fix completion, the first is the sticker, the second is by entering you VIN on this website (https://www.vwdiesellookup.com). A this is to see if the dealer will give you print out of the CarFax (or some other information reporting center that tells you about registration information). You can use this to see when VWoA bought the vehicle (look for registration date in MI, but this doesn't mean the vehicle went there), and then see when the selling dealer acquired it with the time in between being the time the vehicle sat idle.

If it was longer than 6 months ask to see what work was performed to the vehicle by the selling dealer, typical things they should change are tires (due to flat spots, weathering/cracking due to age), brakes (rusty rotors, seized pads etc), fluids (coolant, oil, DSG fluid is changed every 40k, brake fluid if older than 2 years). Also ask if the timing belt is original, because it should be changed around 110K or 10 years I think.

If it was a private owner, who didn't accept the buyback, there should still be a record of the "fix" if it was preformed. VW was the only avenue for completing the fix, so if there's no record that probably means no extended emissions warranty either. Which might also mean the vehicle either has the original software still and might not/will not be emissions compliant if that's something you have to think about. If the selling dealer isn't a VW dealer, talk to a service manager at a nearby VW dealership about possible steps forward if you decide to purchase the vehicle.

I can't speak to the DSG, I have a 6MT, but since it's got clutch packs it has to be heaps better than any slush box with a torque converter. Meaning it will "lock up" and transmit power better at lower rpms which is where the TDI shines.

My JSW doesn't like to sit, but if you can keep it up to date with the serviceable items and use it often it can and will be rewarding. Besides, these are all important things to know and understand about the vehicle and could give you some leverage in negotiation if they've left things that either should have been done or will come due in the very near future.

I’m going in next week to get a better drive the last one was too short being short on time. :D I doubt that the dealer can tell me much about it service wise. I’ll look to see if there’s a book in the glove compartment and hopefully there are some records were wrote down.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
My sister and her family are still driving the only DSG I've ever had long term. It rolled off the assembly line 7/2006 and has been flawless ever since. Back in August 2006, I was handed the keys to it as a "company car" for my 62 mile per day commute. Every 40k it had a dealer DSG service, and it's north of 130k now... I never "beat on" that car, but it did frequently get driven in manual mode, since all my other VW's were manuals. (I would have chosen a manual as my "company car", but a secretary who couldn't drive stick needed daily access to my car for errands.)

When my wife totaled the twin to my "company car" last February (her 2006 TDI with a 5spd manual, bought new in 2006), we put her in a 2013 JSW with a 6spd manual. Only tranny related issue with the 2006 5spd was the DMF which we replaced at around 150k. If I have to put a new DMF in a car every time it nears 150k, I don't consider it excessive. If you saw the utility trailer we towed from FL to Maine multiple times using my wife's 5spd, you'd expect it would have been rough on the DMF.

If the CarFax looks clean, and looks like services were done. Buy it and enjoy it, at 90K it's got plenty of life left in the TDI...